flame

Old September 5th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Allan Adler

Default flame

Is there any kind of glassblowing one can do without using flame?
E.g. (but only an example) suppose I just want to be able to insert
an electrode into a test tube but don't want to use flame, even though
that is probably the most convenient way to do it. I don't care whether
the alternative is prohibitively expensive, I just want to know in principle
how whether it can be done and how. If someone (e.g. a manufacturer) actually
does it that way on some items, by way of automation, that would also be good
to know.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old September 5th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve Ackman

In , on 05 Sep 2006 11:05:50 -0400,
Allan Adler wrote:

Is there any kind of glassblowing one can do without using flame?

I've never tried this for glass, so in that context
it's completely theoretical:

Back decades ago when I had an AC buzzbox (arc
welder), I had an accessory known as a carbon arc
torch; basically a hand-held fixture for holding a
copper-covered carbon electrode a fixed distance from
a ground electrode. Pull the handle (squeeze the
trigger) to bring the two together and strike the arc,
then release to create a 3/8" or so gap. You now have
a blue hot arc in front of you.

The amount of heat could be controlled by adjusting
the amperage on the welder. Also, there were 1/4" and
3/8" (and larger?) carbons you could use. The size of
the gap also controlled, to some extent, how focused
the arc would be.

I may actually still have this piece of hardware
hidden away in a box somewhere, and if I run across it,
I'll see how well it works on my current DC ARC / TIG /
Plasma unit.

E.g. (but only an example) suppose I just want to be able to insert
an electrode into a test tube but don't want to use flame, even though
that is probably the most convenient way to do it. I don't care whether
the alternative is prohibitively expensive, I just want to know in principle
how whether it can be done and how. If someone (e.g. a manufacturer) actually
does it that way on some items, by way of automation, that would also be good
to know.

In principal, I see no reason a carbon arc couldn't
be used in a limited way for glasswork, but am not
aware of anyone actually doing so. There is a *LOT*
of UV produced, so that'd certainly be a drawback.
Old September 5th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

I don't care whether
the alternative is prohibitively expensive, I just want to know in

principle
how whether it can be done and how.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions

and
* comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near

Boston.

Another pointy-headed academian.

What part of "CRAFTS" didn't you understand? This is not a theoretical
scientific community. We look for the "easy" way to do things, not try to
reinvent the wheel.

Aren't you the same guy who posted (and cross-posted) a nonsensical bunch of
bull**** about a telescope mirror a couple of years ago? We like to NEVER
got rid of that thread and all of the pocket protector bunch. Go find
somewhere else to play.

Old September 6th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Allan Adler

Steve Ackman writes:

In , on 05 Sep 2006 11:05:50 -0400,
Allan Adler wrote:
Is there any kind of glassblowing one can do without using flame?

I've never tried this for glass, so in that context
it's completely theoretical:
Back decades ago when I had an AC buzzbox (arc
welder), I had an accessory known as a carbon arc
torch; basically a hand-held fixture for holding a
copper-covered carbon electrode a fixed distance from
a ground electrode. Pull the handle (squeeze the
trigger) to bring the two together and strike the arc,
then release to create a 3/8" or so gap. You now have
a blue hot arc in front of you.
The amount of heat could be controlled by adjusting
the amperage on the welder. Also, there were 1/4" and
3/8" (and larger?) carbons you could use. The size of
the gap also controlled, to some extent, how focused
the arc would be.

Thanks very much for your comments. One advantage I can see for flame
is that you can easily move it around on the glass to keep one part from
expanding faster than other parts and maybe breaking the glass. That doesn't
seem to be a feature of the carbon arc apparatus you describe. I was thinking
in terms of some well insulated container with lots of little heating elements
all around the glass, elements which can be controlled independently, so
that the glass heats up as a whole in a controlled way but the particular
part you want to soften gets more heat. I have no idea whether something
like that could work or whether it is actually used. If the insulation is
good enough, the amount of heat produced by the heating elements might not
need to be that great, since the heat insulation would cause the heat to
accumulate. It just might take a long time to get to the right temperature
and a long time to cool.

Is Moonraker the local judgemental heckler for rec.crafts.glass or is he
right about this question being off topic for this group? If so, I apologize,
since it wasn't intentional on my part.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler
Old September 6th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

and you thought I was testy?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old September 6th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Allan Adler" wrote in message
Is Moonraker the local judgemental heckler for rec.crafts.glass or is he
right about this question being off topic for this group? If so, I

apologize,
since it wasn't intentional on my part.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

I repeat, dumbass, what part of CRAFTS don't you understand?

Old September 6th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"glassman" wrote in message

and you thought I was testy?

Nah. I just have a low tolerance for ignorance.

Old September 6th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Steve Ackman

In , on 05 Sep 2006 21:32:43 -0400,
Allan Adler wrote:

Thanks very much for your comments. One advantage I can see for flame
is that you can easily move it around on the glass to keep one part from
expanding faster than other parts and maybe breaking the glass. That doesn't
seem to be a feature of the carbon arc apparatus you describe.

There are several bench torches in use. I'd use the
carbon arc in place of the bench torch. You might even
set up a parabolic reflector to direct more of the heat
to the glass instead of toward the artisan.
Alternatively, you could set up a glory hole with
multiple arcs inside.

I was thinking
in terms of some well insulated container with lots of little heating elements
all around the glass, elements which can be controlled independently, so
that the glass heats up as a whole in a controlled way but the particular
part you want to soften gets more heat.

If that's the way you want to go, it wouldn't take
much to just buy a kiln or glory hole and modify it.

I have no idea whether something
like that could work or whether it is actually used.

The only way to find out if something will work is
to try it.

Is Moonraker the local judgemental heckler for rec.crafts.glass

Dunno what his problem is.

or is he
right about this question being off topic for this group? If so, I apologize,
since it wasn't intentional on my part.

The charter would seem to include glassblowing as
an acceptable topic of discourse.
Old September 6th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Ron Parker

On 05 Sep 2006 21:32:43 -0400, Allan Adler wrote:
I was thinking
in terms of some well insulated container with lots of little heating elements
all around the glass, elements which can be controlled independently, so
that the glass heats up as a whole in a controlled way but the particular
part you want to soften gets more heat. I have no idea whether something
like that could work or whether it is actually used.

I think your big problem is going to be gravity. When you're working in
the flame, you're constantly moving the glass so it doesn't sag, and you have
the option of removing it from the flame if it's getting a little too hot.
In a kiln, you're going to have to do something else to keep it from slumping.

Is Moonraker the local judgemental heckler for rec.crafts.glass or is he
right about this question being off topic for this group? If so, I apologize,
since it wasn't intentional on my part.

It sounds like you're asking about scientific glassblowing, which isn't
entirely on-topic here. But the general principles are at least roughly
the same, so it's not as off-topic as grinding telescope mirrors.

Old September 7th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .

"glassman" wrote in message

and you thought I was testy?

Nah. I just have a low tolerance for ignorance.

Geez then what do you think of stupidity?

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

AD: Black Flame Beads Juanita Floyd Beads 7 January 28th 04 06:36 AM
flame retardant lauhala? Dolchas General Crafting 0 August 22nd 03 08:21 AM
Flame war defined! Fred Needlework 1 August 10th 03 08:42 PM
Flame war defined! Fred Needlework 0 August 10th 03 11:14 AM