Need a type of cord

Old February 17th 05, 12:58 PM
Alan Folsom

Default Need a type of cord

Does anyone know a source for forest green, 3/8" poly cord? I found some
really cheap stuff once and used it to make turkshead neckerchief slides
for my scout troop. Now, of course, we need more slides and I can't find
anymore cord!

I'm not looking for high-quality stuff here, in fact, the cheaper the
better. Bad poly cord works better when I heat it to harden the slides.

Thanks,

Al

Alan L. Folsom, Jr.

"He has shown you, Oh man, what is good; And what
does the Lord require of you but to do justly, To
love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?"
-- Micah 6:8 (NKJV)
Old February 17th 05, 03:26 PM
Rick Thorpe

I have seen cord like that in army surplus stores.
Good Luck
Rick

. 71.68...

Old February 17th 05, 05:25 PM
roo

If you can't find local sources, have you tried Froogle yet?
~~
-roo
--
See the Notable Knot Index for my real e-mail address

Old February 18th 05, 01:32 AM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
Alan Folsom wrote:

I'm not looking for high-quality stuff here,

Polypropylene and "high-quality stuff" are mutually contradictory terms.

My Sea Troop has always made it out of cotton sash cord. Cheap, stays in
place better, washable and readily available in just about any hardware
store.

If you are stuck with the green colour on your woggle, you can always die
the cord. Colourfast dies are pretty cheap as well.

BTW, I do hope you did not mean that you make the woggles for the boys. We
made all our new boys wear their Cub woggle until they learned to tie a
turks head woggle for themselves. They tend to learn rather quickly with
that motivation ... :-))

Scouting is a game. Go play outside.

YiS,

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/
Old February 18th 05, 02:00 AM
Dan Lehman

Karl Pollak wrote:
Polypropylene and "high-quality stuff" are mutually contradictory

terms.

PP comes in a variety of forms and qualities; it's a staple of
commercial fishing and
other marine use, and stabilization vs. UV degradation and particular
manufacture
can be pretty good! Co-polymers of PP & PE are increasingly used, with
some
improvement to strength & durability.

--dl*

Old February 18th 05, 07:05 AM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
"Dan Lehman" wrote:

Karl Pollak wrote:
Polypropylene and "high-quality stuff" are mutually contradictory

terms.

PP comes in a variety of forms and qualities; it's a staple of
commercial fishing and other marine use,

Dan, I live in the largest commercial fishing harbour in the country and
hgave been a Sea Scout leader.

My previous comment on poly rope stands.

Old February 19th 05, 07:19 AM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
Alan Folsom wrote:

Yes, but the cheap plastic cord will harden into a permanent position
with a bit of heat. I've taught this to a number of people, and we've
got some good looking slides around these parts!

Sorry, I did not realize that you wanted it that way.

BTW, I do hope you did not mean that you make the woggles for the
boys. We made all our new boys wear their Cub woggle until they
learned to tie a turks head woggle for themselves. They tend to learn
rather quickly with that motivation ... :-))

Well, not being into humiliating scouts, I don't think that's an option.
:-)

I don't consider making somebody earn something humiliating. I thought
that one of the many things we try to instill in the boys is the idea that
there ain't no free lunch. One of the tenets of the Scouting Method is
"learning by doing"

In my old troop, I had made up some special slides, and gave one to an
"honor camper" for each trip. They were prized.

Well, maybe Sea Scouts are different. To a Sea Scout here it would have
been humiliating to say "Skip made that woggle for me" or "I got the Turk's
Head for being a good boy"

I have never made anything for my boys. I have shown a lot of them how to
make a whole bunch of things for themselves.

YiS,

Old February 24th 05, 04:09 PM
Alan Folsom

(Karl Pollak) wrote in
:

We made all our new boys wear their Cub woggle until they
learned to tie a turks head woggle for themselves.

Well, not being into humiliating scouts, I don't think that's an
option.
:-)

I don't consider making somebody earn something humiliating.

Making them earn something is not humiliating. Making them wear
cub gear until they learn a skill is. Though I can't speak for scouting
in Canada, it is also against BSA policy.

Well, maybe Sea Scouts are different. To a Sea Scout here it would
have been humiliating to say "Skip made that woggle for me" or "I got
the Turk's Head for being a good boy"

I believe the woggles have a different meaning in British (and perhaps
Canadian?) scouting than in the US. Here slides are just slides, with no
rank or other significance (baring the Woodbadge Woggle, which is earned
by adults).

And, if being a "good boy" is defined as going above and beyond to help
younger scouts, or any other such thing that shows that they are learning
what we are really trying to teach, then I will stand accused. Too many
scouters, in my opinion, get wrapped up in the program methods (skills,
uniforms, etc) and miss the purpose of scouting, which is not knots, or
anything else, but "to provide an effective program designed to instill
within youth desirable qualities of character, to train them in the
responsibilities of participating citizenship, and to help develop their
personal fitness" (Quoted from the bsa material).

And having rambled, I am completely off the topic of knots. I'm still
trying to find forest-green 3/8" polyethylene cord ;-)
Old February 25th 05, 04:21 AM
Karl Pollak

x-no-archive: yes
Alan Folsom wrote:

Making them earn something is not humiliating. Making them wear
cub gear until they learn a skill is. Though I can't speak for scouting
in Canada, it is also against BSA policy.

They are not Scouts until they get invested.
I suppose, I could have them walk around with no neckerchief at all. We
chose to honour their previosu membership in Cubs and allow them to
continue wear the Cub insignia that they had earned, until they earn their
Scout membership.

I believe the woggles have a different meaning in British (and perhaps
Canadian?) scouting than in the US. Here slides are just slides, with no
rank or other significance (baring the Woodbadge Woggle, which is earned
by adults).

No, they have no other meaning that a group decides to give to them. They
are simply a part of your uniform. Canada, nor the UK nor for that matter
almost no other country has any Scout "rank". We're a brotherhood, not the
military.

Too many
scouters, in my opinion, get wrapped up in the program methods (skills,
uniforms, etc) and miss the purpose of scouting, which is not knots, or
anything else, but "to provide an effective program designed to instill
within youth desirable qualities of character, to train them in the
responsibilities of participating citizenship, and to help develop their
personal fitness" (Quoted from the bsa material).

I don't have a problem with that statement. It's the practices I have
problems with. But you are sort of contradicting yourself. The program is
the skills and the uniforms and the knots, etc. It is part of building up
their self esteem which is the foundation on which you can build the
"active citizenship" qualities.

And having rambled, I am completely off the topic of knots. I'm still
trying to find forest-green 3/8" polyethylene cord ;-)

Good luck. :-)

--
Karl Pollak, Richmond, British Columbia
Sea Scouting in Canada at http://www.seascouts.ca/

Cord for lampwork beads Christina Peterson Beads 65 January 16th 05 08:56 PM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 12:28 PM
Buna Cord Question Jill Beads 8 October 22nd 04 11:55 PM
Looking for feedback on hard lay 3 strand cotton cord Martin Combs Knots 1 May 2nd 04 11:22 PM
ot idiot cord dolls Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 5 November 17th 03 09:53 PM