Squishie Fabric Quality

Old March 28th 04, 03:43 PM
Mika

Default Squishie Fabric Quality

Since the subject of squishies has come up again, I have a question. I have
been somewhat hesitant to send squishies simply because the choices of
fabric around here are pretty much limited to Walmart and JoAnn's. Now we
all know the quality of fabric from these stores is not of the same quality
as that from LQS's. So how do you all feel receiving fabric from these two
stores as squishies? I'm not talking about fabric off the $1/yd table at
Walmart. I know that stuff is cheap and wouldn't hold up but they do have
some fairly decent stuff. It's just not LQS quality. Do you all really think
of squishies as "It's the thought that counts and not necessarily the
quality of the fabric." or do you put a lot of stock in the quality too? I
just wouldn't want anyone to be offended or anything by receiving
Walmart/Joann's quality fabric in a squishie if you're accustomed to using
LQS quality fabric.

What do you all think about this? What are your opinions? Do you all send
fabric from these stores in squishies? Do you all use them for swaps?

Thanks and hugs to all.

Mika

Old March 28th 04, 03:50 PM
Carolyn McCarty

I don't think the source of the fabric matters all that much--I know it
doesn't matter to me. I've gotten charms and scraps and even fqs from
friends, and they are always welcome. I tend to take the less durable
fabrics and put them into something that won't get the wear and tear of a
quilt, but I use them all. We have several LQS here in Tucson, but frankly
I can't afford to send off much fabric from them...I usually pick something
in colors and prints I know will please that person, and don't think of the
source too much.

Just my two cents worth.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

. net...

Old March 28th 04, 03:54 PM
AliceW

I never gave it a thought before you brought this topic up! I am so honored
when a squishie arrives that I never question the quality of the fabric or
other items that may be included. The fact that someone thought enough of
me to take the time to choose a fabric, package it up and send it off with a
note of kind words is the most important aspect of getting a squishie. I
treasure each and every one of them.
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

. net...
:

Old March 28th 04, 04:04 PM
Cathy Biro

I have yet to buy a single piece of fabric from a LQS. Although there are
at least two LQS within 15-20 min drive for me, I'm spoiled and don't wanna
go that far, not when Wal-Mart and JoAnns are less than 5 minutes
away....hey, that's 20-30 min per trip of extra shop and dream time! I do
however, stay away from the cheapie fabrics. I've used it for all my swaps
I've participated in, and in all the quilts I've done to date.

--
Siptah
Columbus, OH

. net...

Old March 28th 04, 04:31 PM
Mary in Oregon

My choices are about the same as yours tho I did just find a small shop
tucked back in the corner of an old strip mall.... a squishie is a squishie
and I love em all.

--
Mary
. net...

Old March 28th 04, 04:43 PM
granny

I'm new here but, if I might "butt in", I get a lot of my fabrics from
Walmart
and JoAnns, but in most cases I look at the manufacturer and find that
the "good ones" can be found at these places also. Check the selvage
edge and often you will see big, name brand fabrics and you get them
cheaper than LQS prices - the part I really like.
So, IMHO, they can often carry top quality materials, too.
granny

. net...

Old March 28th 04, 05:44 PM
Louise

Mika,

I personally wouldn't be offended if someone sent me a squishie from
Wal-Mart or Joann's. I do buy most of mine at the LQS, but occasionally I
find something at another store that is just what I need, and I don't
hesitate to buy it.

I recently found a piece of fabric -- at a LQS while on vacation -- that I
thought would be perfect for someone on the group. I bought it, brought it
home, and washed it. That's when I realized something just wasn't right
about it -- turns out it isn't 100% cotton! I don't think many in the group
use polyester blends, so I didn't go ahead and send it. To me, that was more
important than where it had been purchased.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

. net...

Old March 28th 04, 06:18 PM
Nancy in Livermore, CA

I love all fabric and would welcome a squishie in any color and from any
store! I buy my fabric at Walmart, at Joann's, at my LQS, anyplace I find
something that strikes my fancy. I use it, love it, and would never turn up
my nose at any fabric no matter where it came from! Especially when it is
sent in the spirit of friendship and sharing.

Feel free to squish and be squished and just enjoy it!

--
Nancy in Livermore, CA
(Remove NOSPAM to reply)

. net...

Old March 28th 04, 06:24 PM
Patti

Beautifully put, Alice.
That is what warms my heart, too. And I treasure them and use them when
their right 'home' becomes clear.
..
In article , AliceW
writes
I never gave it a thought before you brought this topic up! I am so honored
when a squishie arrives that I never question the quality of the fabric or
other items that may be included. The fact that someone thought enough of
me to take the time to choose a fabric, package it up and send it off with a
note of kind words is the most important aspect of getting a squishie. I
treasure each and every one of them.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 28th 04, 06:28 PM
Dr. Quilter

I try to send good quality fabric, unless the recipient has stated that
they don't mind (e.g. frood said she wanted 60s fabric, not sure all is
100% cotton, but it is original, so she can figure out if it works out
for her or not when she gets it next week!) - that said, and even if I
agree with the statement that LQS is on average better than that from
chain stores like the ones you mention, I think not ALL fabric from
WalMart and JoAnns is bad, and not ALL fabric you can buy in a LQS is
good...

Mika wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Pirates o' the South Pacific Swap frood Quilting 27 January 25th 04 12:04 AM
elusive fabric! (long) Debbi Quilting 8 December 18th 03 07:54 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM
2 down, 4 to go & my fabric talks to me Diana Curtis Quilting 4 August 12th 03 03:40 AM