OT (sorta?) It's happening again!

Old July 10th 04, 07:04 PM
Dr. Sooz

Heh. I think it was supposed to be "Party!"

hee hee hee
~~
Sooz
Old July 10th 04, 07:06 PM
Candace

You know, just as I was checking the NG again, I thought of that fact--that it
came out much earlier than I had said. Sorry about that--the brain ain't up to
par today. What I saw was, of course, a re-release.

My generation (born 1954) turned out a lot of non-hunters -- because of
Bambi.
It came out way ahead of your generation, so if you'd been born earlier, you
would've avoided Bambi & Thumper meals too, in all probability. (I haven't
eaten mammal since 1976, myself.) You aren't alone. :-)

But I was young and very impressionable when Bambi came out (it was the
second
movie I ever saw in theater, after Rainbow Bright) and it sorta stuck with
me,
yanno?

~~
Sooz

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old July 10th 04, 07:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

Bottle=container for drinking from to save dribbling down your front from
the saucepan.

Haw!
~~
Sooz
Old July 10th 04, 07:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

Bottle=container for drinking from to save dribbling down your front from
the saucepan.

But....then nobody licks you.
~~
Sooz
Old July 10th 04, 08:27 PM
bluemaxx

The newsgroup news:rec.food.recipes is great for finding alternative
recipes to common liqueurs. I found a great, simple receipe for
Cranberry Liqueur. Yum! And the group is moderated, so if you ask for
a recipe, expect a few days to go by before receiving a newsgroup
response.

Here's a link to Google for past homemade recipes for Kahlua. As far as
the vanilla bean goes, some leave the vanilla bean whole, some split it
in half and some say to chop the bean, then filter the mixture prior to
bottling to get the pieces out. Most all say to let it ferment for 3
weeks... some say to shake it while it's fermenting... and one even says
to drink it "copiously" after fermenting.
http://snipurl.com/7ntx

It's also a great newsgroup for asking about and finding long-lost
receipes.
Linda

: Kahlua
:
: 10 tsp freeze dried instant coffee
: 4 cups water
: 3 cups sugar
: Fifth of vodka
: 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
:
: Heat water, coffee and sugar. Bring to a boil, simmer for 1 hour
: uncovered. Cool. Stir in vodka and vanilla. Bottle.

---

Old July 10th 04, 08:34 PM
Kalera Stratton

Heh, heh, heh. *I* would be in favor of adding the whole pint, but then,
you haven't seen the size of my kahlua batches...

Thanks for the vanilla bean tip! I am all over that.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 3:45:41 -0400, Kalera Stratton wrote
(in message ):

Cold processed coffee concentrate is the bomb in this application. Also,
screw that 3-teaspoons stuff... dump the whole bottle of vanilla in, you
won't regret it! Better yet, replace it with a whole vanilla bean per
bottle.

I kinda thought so. I have one suggestion about the vanilla bean (do
you know how many times that comes out as vanilla bead?): split the
bean in half lengthwise before adding it to the bottle. Most of the
flavor in vanilla is in the little seeds and in the oils, and
splitting the bean makes those components a lot more available to
dissolve within the mixture.

I assume by adding a whole bottle, you mean one of those one or two
oz. bottles. I buy my vanilla by the pint, which would probably be
overkill. ;-)

Kathy "better living through chemistry" N-V

Kathy N-V wrote:

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:31:43 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

Kahlua

10 tsp freeze dried instant coffee
4 cups water
3 cups sugar
Fifth of vodka
3 tsp pure vanilla extract

Heat water, coffee and sugar. Bring to a boil, simmer for 1 hour
uncovered. Cool. Stir in vodka and vanilla. Bottle.

I don't understand the last word.

I am deathly allergic to coffee, so this recipe would be lost on me,
but I do have a few questions. From what I understand, a large part
of the flavor in coffee is contained in the volatile oils of the
beans.

Wouldn't cold processed coffee concentrate be tastier than freeze
dried? Freeze drying coffee involves spraying hot brewed coffee into
a dehydrating chamber, which sure can't be good for preserving
volatile oils. Boiling coffee of any type for an hour would likely
enhance any inherent bitterness, and I can't see a chemical reason
why it would be necessary. If it's to completely dissolve the sugar,
a simple syrup would be perfectly fine. I cannot fathom any other
reason why simmering the mixture for an hour would be necessary.
(Yeah, I know - science geek propeller head. But the chemistry in
this recipe really is confusing)

If freeze dried coffee is adequate for the recipe, wouldn't a good
espresso powder be even better? And, from what I understand, coffee
is complimented by lots of other flavors - I understand the vanilla,
and cooling of the coffee mixture is obviously meant to preserve the
armoatic oils in that. (Why is it three teaspoons instead of one
tablespoon? That makes little sense. And are we talking Mexican
vanilla or some other kind?) Wouldn't a bit of cocoa powder,
cinnamon or orange oil add another dimension to this beverage?

Maybe I should make a few batches and send them to Sooz (including
bottles) for quality control and testing.

Kathy N-V

Old July 10th 04, 08:40 PM
Kalera Stratton

Carla, I think your measuring spoons may be, um, is "wonky" a word you
can use for measuring spoons? 'Cause mine have three teaspoons to a
tablespoon, and that's what I learned in (the highest authority) Junior
High Home Ec. (Yes, I'm home schooled EXCEPT for Junior High. Call it a
failed experiment...)

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Carla wrote:
-snip-
Because one tablespoon is only two teaspoons. You'd need one and a half
tablespoons...or three teaspoons (yeah, I went in the kitchen and
checked, just to be on the safe side g).

That makes little sense. And are we talking Mexican

vanilla or some other kind?) Wouldn't a bit of cocoa powder, cinnamon
or orange oil add another dimension to this beverage?

It probably would add another dimension, but then it wouldn't be Kaluha.

Worth a shot though, in any case.

Cheers,
Carla

Old July 10th 04, 08:42 PM
Kalera Stratton

Oh, lol and I just wrote a post about that... oops! I should read ahead
before I post.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Carla wrote:
This is what I get for measuring at 4:30 in the morning when I should be
in bed - "Add the liquid slower and it won't slosh over. It's three
teaspoons."

I've been corrected (and teased once again for my lack of skill
pertaining to kitchen matters g). *Now* I'll go to bed.

Cheers,
Carla

Carla wrote:

Kathy N-V wrote:

Wouldn't cold processed coffee concentrate be tastier than freeze
dried? Freeze drying coffee involves spraying hot brewed coffee into
a dehydrating chamber, which sure can't be good for preserving
volatile oils. Boiling coffee of any type for an hour would likely
enhance any inherent bitterness, and I can't see a chemical reason
why it would be necessary. If it's to completely dissolve the sugar,
a simple syrup would be perfectly fine. I cannot fathom any other
reason why simmering the mixture for an hour would be necessary.
(Yeah, I know - science geek propeller head. But the chemistry in
this recipe really is confusing)

I don't know about using espresso or some other type of coffee; I know
I've got ready access, though, to freeze-dried.

Old July 10th 04, 08:43 PM
Kalera Stratton

I saw that... ew!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Ray DeVous wrote:
That's scrubbing the bathroom NOT SCABBING the bathroom. GGGRRROOOSSSSSS!!!

Ray

Ray DeVous wrote:

Su.......once again you and I are on the same wave length. Bottle =
place resulting liquid in baby bottles with nipples for easy of
consumption, cleanliness and ease of transport when traveling around
during daily work day or chores. Just think how much more pleasant
scabbing the bathroom or that 3 hour sales conference will be if you
have something to quench you dry throat.

Ray

Old July 10th 04, 08:43 PM
Kalera Stratton

LMAO!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Dr. Sooz wrote:
Bottle=container for drinking from to save dribbling down your front from
the saucepan.

But....then nobody licks you.
~~
Sooz

OT sorta, AD sorta, burned myself Kandice Seeber Beads 29 June 12th 04 06:30 AM
I'm back, sorta! c driver Beads 3 April 8th 04 10:53 PM
OT, sorta Kalera Stratton Beads 3 September 19th 03 01:49 AM
Apologies - OT sorta laura Beads 0 September 18th 03 01:39 PM