OT (sorta?) It's happening again!

Old July 10th 04, 01:02 AM
Jalynne

Not to mention the really good mushrooms are expensive...I mean REALLY expensive,
like $30 a pound!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:55:13 -0400, Christina Peterson wrote
(in message ):

But Sooz, don't forget the Russian experience. During famine, may Russians
continued to pick and eat the abundant mushrooms. The mushrooms didn't
increase the caloric intake, but they did provide lots of necessary trace
minerals , so that the mushroom eaters recovered from famine much more
quickly.

Unfortunately, the accident at Chernobyl put an end to that.
Apparently mushrooms absorb the poisons a lot more quickly than other
kinds of plants. Germany had a ban on wild mushrooms for more than a
decade after the accident, and even now, East German wild mushrooms
are supposed to be unsafe.

BTW, those nasty rubber white things you can buy in the supermarket
have little resemblence to yummy wild mushrooms. My mother is
awesome at finding mushrooms, and we used to go gathering any time it
was a clear morning after an all night rain. Those things are
delicious. Ummm.

We also gathered wild blueberries and raspberries by the quart.
Those aren't much like their store counterparts, either.

Speaking of great finding skills, my Oma has one that is pretty
unique. She can find four leaf clovers. We can be walking through a
field, park or wherever, and she just stops and says "there's another
one." I find it amazing, because I can barely tell one clover plant
from another, and she finds them all the time. Oma also knows more
cat's cradle figures than anyone I've ever met, too.

Kathy N-V

Old July 10th 04, 02:03 AM
melinda

Kalera Stratton wrote:
LOL! But see, on my planet we live on fungus and chocolate. It's a great
place, I tell ya!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Don't forget the macadamias!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old July 10th 04, 02:22 AM
melinda

Kalera Stratton wrote:
I would love the recipe!

Tinned salmon and corn? That sounds bizzarre, but I might have to try it.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

I'll give you the original because I don't know what size tin of
salmon Mum uses.

Pasta Egg and Bacon Pie (serves 6)

125g pasta, spirals and shells work best.
100g chopped bacon, this is the meat stuff, swap the bacon for
whatever you want
4 large eggs
4 tbspoons self-raising flour
250mL milk, skim, low fat, whatever
60g shredded cheese, this too can be low fat
30g margarine, melted. This can swapped for any vegetable oil
20mL Worcestershire sauce, I've made without this and it works
fine.
pepper to taste

Cook the pasta, if using long pasta break it up before cooking (3cm approx)
cook bacon, if using tinned salmon you don't need to. Mix with pasta and
include anything else you want, place into a well greased pie dish.
Beat eggs until frothy, gradually add flour, milk, cheese, margarine and
sauce. Spoon or pour over the pasta, etc. Bake at 220C (425F) for 30min
or until golden, crusty and set in the middle. Serve hot.

If you want to try using tomatoes in this, semi dried work best they don't
add too much moisture, it takes longer to cook with normal tomatoes.
--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old July 10th 04, 03:31 AM
Dr. Sooz

Kahlua

10 tsp freeze dried instant coffee
4 cups water
3 cups sugar
Fifth of vodka
3 tsp pure vanilla extract

Heat water, coffee and sugar. Bring to a boil, simmer for 1 hour
uncovered. Cool. Stir in vodka and vanilla. Bottle.

I don't understand the last word.
~~
Sooz
Old July 10th 04, 03:32 AM
Dr. Sooz

I actually heard, a' la the Simpsons, the sound of footstps running down
the hall, the front door slamming, the car door slamming, the revving of
the engine, and the squealing of tires...

Haw!
Oh hell no. I just went straight through the back wall, a la Bugs Bunny.
~~
Sooz
Old July 10th 04, 03:34 AM
Dr. Sooz

Um....I had morels the other night at a restaurant in the CA wine country.

I didn't like them. ~~~running!....to get away from all the spankings I'm
going to get~~
~~
Sooz
Old July 10th 04, 03:45 AM
Jalynne

It's ok, I don't like em, either. hehe. Besides...whenever I eat them now, I have
issues with yeast.

Oh, and something I always say to my friend Honey...
"Spank you, spank you very much"

Old July 10th 04, 05:55 AM
Candace

Margie, it would be my guess (and my plan of action, too!) that Sooz meant she
didn't understand "bottle" as in--why the heck would it ever make it into a
bottle, when there's a perfectly good person (Sooz) waiting for it to go
into?!?!?!?

hahahahahahahahahahaha!

On 10 Jul 2004 02:31:43 GMT, uppies (Dr. Sooz)
wrote:

Heat water, coffee and sugar. Bring to a boil, simmer for 1 hour
uncovered. Cool. Stir in vodka and vanilla. Bottle.

I don't understand the last word.

I think my friend used shorthand there. Bottle = pour into a bottle
for storage and decanting.

If I had one, I would use an empty Kahlua bottle. Cleaned of course!
Probably would replace the original label with one of my own.
--
Margie
http://www.picturetrail.com/margiek

Old July 10th 04, 05:56 AM
Carla

Heh. I think it was supposed to be "Party!"

Cheers,
Carla

Dr. Sooz wrote:
Kahlua

10 tsp freeze dried instant coffee
4 cups water
3 cups sugar
Fifth of vodka
3 tsp pure vanilla extract

Heat water, coffee and sugar. Bring to a boil, simmer for 1 hour
uncovered. Cool. Stir in vodka and vanilla. Bottle.

I don't understand the last word.
~~
Sooz

OT sorta, AD sorta, burned myself Kandice Seeber Beads 29 June 12th 04 06:30 AM
I'm back, sorta! c driver Beads 3 April 8th 04 10:53 PM
OT, sorta Kalera Stratton Beads 3 September 19th 03 01:49 AM
Apologies - OT sorta laura Beads 0 September 18th 03 01:39 PM