An easy route to take was Way OF--I need a shoulder

Old August 2nd 03, 04:55 PM
Fred

Default An easy route to take was Way OF--I need a shoulder

Lucille,
If the dog had stopped vomiting then I would have continued to feed with
boiled rice and boiled hamberger and Pepto Bismo until things settle down at
the other end. It does take a bit of time for things to sort themselves out.
Prior to the introduction of a de-wormer the analysis of the stool will
indicate if the condition is caused by worms or not. I personally would not
give a de-wormer at this time. IMO a dewormer is a fancy name for worm
poison and the dog has enough to contend
with as it is however your vet is on the scene and I am not.

More best of luck,

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - Pending

"Lucille" wrote in message
Thanks Fred,
The first thing we tried when he got sick was Pepto Bismal and though it
seemed to stop the vomiting, it didn't stop the diarrhea. The last thing
the Vet is trying before doing more invasive tests is to give him a
dewormer, with the hope that whatever is in there that's causing the

problem
will come out that end. He also put him on a medicine that's usually used
for chickens called tylan and we've changed his diet to a low fiber, low

fat
prescription diet. So far, since yesterday, he seems to be improving a
little so maybe this regimen will work. From what I read he can stay on
this medicine for a long time without any adverse side effects and the

food
is fine for a forever diet.

He only weighs 8 lbs. so there isn't a lot of wiggle room when he's sick
like this.

Thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and for not thinking I'm a

lunatic
for being so upset. So many people don't understand that to a lot of us
they're more than "JUST A PET."

Lucille

"Fred" wrote in message
Lucille,
A tried and true approach is to give your dog a number of tablespoons

full
of Pepto Bismo a day for a couple of days. Meals should only be a

mixture
of
boiled rice and boiled hamburger if the dog will eat. It will not be
uncommon for your dog to eat grass and throw it up during this

treatment.
If
the dog eats grass it is to cause a regurgitation to try and get rid of

the
bug in the stomach. The Pepto will soothe the digestive tract and exit

in
normal manner while the dog attempts to heal itself.

If after 3 or 4 days the dog starts to eat regularly you know the

problem
has tentatively been solved. If the dog does not return to normal eating
then the situation may be more serious and an x-ray should be taken. I
assume the veterinarian checked the dog's anus to insure it is not

impacted
with chewed up bones or a possible foreign object the dog might have
devoured. Swollen glands in the anus area can also cause a back up in

the
digestive tract. Swollen glands are easy to evacuate if you have the

stomach
for it otherwise get the veterinarian to do it.

The above approach is a very cheap diagnostic tool used by a lot of
veterinarians and I have used it myself when the occasion has called for

it.

Best of luck!

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - Pending

"Lucille" wrote in message
I need just a small shoulder to cry on. My little dog has been sick

for
the
past two weeks with a serious upset stomach, and all the mess that

goes
with
it. I've been back and forth to the Vet 5 times, twice to see the

doctor
and three times for different meds and foods. Fortunately my vet is

just
very short distance so it's not too difficult for me to get there.

I'm reluctant to leave him alone just in case he has to go to the

bathroom
quickly and/or he has to throw up so I've been stuck in for most of

this
time and I'm going slightly stir crazy. And, of course, I'm feeling

really
sorry for him. The Vet seems to think this problem will resolve

itself
soon
and I sure hope he's right.

Lucille
.

---

---

Old August 2nd 03, 05:14 PM
Lucille

Actually Fred it's been two weeks of problem before he decided to try the
dewormer. And from what I read certain problems, like Giardia ,don't show
up in a stool sample, so even though the sample proved negative it wasn't a
sure thing. And it doesn't seem that there is any obstruction. He can hear
the proper intestinal sounds and that probably means things are going
through his system properly. It may be that this is a problem of stress
because he had a situation a few weeks ago with my friends 4 month old
puppy, who was used to jumping on and around two big dogs who tolerated his
very, very rough (and sexy) play. I have to admit my guy is a bit of a
wimp, living with one human who loves him to death and indulges him too
much. And, of course, being a Maltese, with only a single coat of silky
hair, and very pink skin, he isn't much for the Florida heat so he's indoors
most of the time and not used to playing rough. All the other dogs he's
ever been around have been gentle souls and not so "active" as this pup. It
may be that that's the problem and he has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, or
Colitis. I hope not but, we'll see. If it is something like that hopefully
it can be controlled through diet because, of course, I would prefer not to
have to keep him on any meds.

Lucille

Old August 2nd 03, 05:56 PM
Liz Hampton

And from what I read certain problems, like Giardia ,don't show
up in a stool sample, so even though the sample proved negative it wasn't a
sure thing.

Yes it does, if you prepare it right & look under a microscope. We used to
find it fairly regularly in some animals when I was a vet. technician.
Also, giardia isn't a worm, it is a protozoa if I recall correctly. It is
still a parasite, though.

Hope pup is feeling better by now. You're right. To many people, they are
more than "just a pet" and for some, they can be that person's reason to get
up out of bed every morning.
Liz from Humbug

Old August 2nd 03, 06:20 PM
Fred

I doubt stress is causing the problem for this length of time, especially if
the stress situation is no longer present. Based on what you have said so
far I would not give "any" food period for at least 3 days. Just give plenty
of water and let the digestive tract completely empty itself out. Then try
some food.

As a matter of interest my wooly bear by his own choice has on occasion gone
at least a week on plain water and he is a lot bigger than I am. He would
not eat anything but plain old grass. When this happens I surmise that a
virus has taken hold and the digestive tract got irritated. He knows
something is wrong so he decides not to feed the virus with food or he
thinks food is causing the problem so he stops eating. I give him the old
Pepto for a day or two and then sprinkle a little stinky cheese on a bowl of
rice and hamburger. Works for my wooly bear. Sometimes we have a tendency to
expect fast results - blame that on fast food outlet conditioning.LOL

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - Pending

Old August 2nd 03, 10:43 PM
Lucille

He's 2-1/2 and as I said 8 lbs. Yes, we did think of allergies and I
suspect that well may be the cause because he's suddenly chewing his feet a
lot. They use pesticides in the grass where I live, but I have no choice on
where to take him to make. The food he's on now, Science Diet for irritable
bowel, is supposed to be about as pure as a commercial food can be. Low
fat, low fiber, etc., and from what I read about the medicine he's taking,
he can stay on it for a very long time with no significant side effects. So
far, he seems a little better today. He ate nicely and seems much more
lively so I hope he's on the way back to good health. Hopefully, once we
get him back on track we'll be able to go back to his regular food and no
meds.

Thanks to everyone for understanding my concern and not thinking I'm a
raving lunatic for caring so much.

Lucille

"Tara D" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 14:15:55 GMT, "Lucille"
wrote:

He only weighs 8 lbs. so there isn't a lot of wiggle room when he's sick
like this.

Did you mention how old he is? Are allergies a possibility (though
allergies typically show up as other symptoms)?

I have to chuckle at Fred's remedy of boiled rice and hamburger
recipe, two of the many foods mine is allergic to.

Tara

Old August 3rd 03, 08:23 AM
Brenda Lewis

If it really is from the pesticides, perhaps he would take to litter
training like a cat. Since he is only 8 lbs., it would be possible.
Hope the little fella gets better soon!

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old August 3rd 03, 10:44 AM
Fred

Ahah, pesticides on the grass. If that isn't enough to make a dog barf I
don't know what is!

We do not use pesticides but we have our lawn sprayed with a fertilizer/weed
control agent every 3 - 4 weeks. I would *never* let my wooly bear walk on
the wet grass after a spraying. In fact we will water the grass a few times
to wash the fertilizer/weed control agent off the grass, into the soil and
let it dry before we let Chilkoot or Cranky Frank on the grass. We also have
an area that we do not spray and that is the only place where we allow them
to eat grass.

If it is not possible to prevent your dog from coming into contact with the
grass laden pesticides you might want to make up some booties similar to the
ones used for dogs in dog sled races. They just slip on over the paw and you
tie them or Velcro them in place. In dog sled racing the booties protect the
dog's feet from a build up of ice between the toes. The booties might
protect your dog from getting pesticides on his feet which he is going to
lick off.

It takes very little time to put the booties on and dogs tolerate them quite
well if you make a game out of it. They learn very quickly that when you
say, "Bootem - Up!" it's time to get the boots on and go out and play or do
their business. Depending on the material you use to make the booties they
are easy to wash out once a week. Use our imagination and they can look
quite cute.

IIRC, if a dog laps up just a few ounces of automobile anti-freeze that is
enough to kill the dog. I hate to think what would happen to a dog that
licks it's paws after romping around on grass that has been sprayed with a
hundred gallons of pesticide.

NOW - Did you tell your vet. that your dog romps around on pesticide laden
grass?????

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice