Converting cross-stitch graphs to latch hook?

Old September 11th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Default Converting cross-stitch graphs to latch hook?

Brenda Lewis wrote:
I think some of us were simply having a dyslexic weekend.

Now I'm feeling like I'm really losing it! But anyway, it looks like
someone fell in love with a cross stitch chart and wants to make a rug
from it. I'm glad there's people here who can help!
Dianne
--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/forum
Old September 11th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
kagjws

Hi ! from the original poster....

I think we all finally got it straight -- I want to make a latch hook
rug from a cross stitch design/chart/graph (whatever you want to call
it). Actually, I don't have a particular cross-stitch pattern in mind,
but I have found relatively few latch hook rug patterns that I like. So
I wanted to look through some cross stitch patterns and see what I
could use. If I could. I haven't cross stitched in years and didn't do
much of it to begin with (my eyes crossed and blurred and gave me a
headache). So I was totally lost at "back stitch" and "fractionals" and
"x3" (oh, my!).

But I think I got it. I think? I know to avoid detail, etc. etc.
Actually, I was thinking of starting with an Amish quilt design or
something graphic vs. a picture.

Will take more tips/hints though!!!!!

Kris

kagjws wrote:
Hello,

I can't find any information on how to use cross-stitch graphs for
latch hooking, so I thought I'd ask here! I've found that a lot of
people said this can be done, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm
presuming it's not a simple one-for-one square.....but it may be once
the cross-stitch graph is enlarged.

Any hints/tips?

Thanks!
Kris

Old September 11th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

Sorry about the confusion. As I said, I've thought about going the
other direction so had that etched into my brain. I think quilt designs
would be lovely in latch hook and shouldn't be too difficult to convert.
If you don't have any charts of quilt designs, you should be able to
take a drawing of the design and overlay a piece of graph paper to
produce your own. Even better is to have your local copy center
(assuming you have one) transfer the grid from graph paper to an acetate
page (overhead projection sheet) because then you can mark on it with
water soluble markers and reuse the sheet. Of course there's the higher
tech options of using charting software.

Since you haven't cross stitched in years, I would say if the chart
looks too complicated for you to cross stitch, it is probably too
complicated to use for latch hook. That should be a simple rule! :-)

Keep posting your ideas.

kagjws wrote:
[...]

Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
http://www.pgdp.net/
Old September 12th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

kagjws wrote:
Hi ! from the original poster....

I think we all finally got it straight -- I want to make a latch hook
rug from a cross stitch design/chart/graph (whatever you want to call
it).

What about needlepoint charts/designs? A great many of them consist of
just tent stitch, so there'd be no fear of having fractionals in the
chart. Now, you'd have to be careful, since many needlepoint designs
use anything *but* tent stitch (half cross), but the same can be said of
cross stitch designs.

Have you looked at Herschnerr's kits? Every once in awhile they have
some lovely latch hook rug kits. Most don't appeal to me, but there's
that tiny 1% that, if I was into it, wouldn't mind working on it.

Dianne
--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/forum
Old September 12th 06, 09:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
kagjws

Brenda wrote....

Since you haven't cross stitched in years, I would say if the chart
looks too complicated for you to cross stitch, it is probably too
complicated to use for latch hook. That should be a simple rule! :-)

Ain't that the truth!! And if I have to get into "high math," then it's
too
complicated as well!

I started looking into needlepoint designs as well (Dianne's idea) and
at
Herschnerr's kits again.

And thanks, Tara, for this:

And if you don't already have enough :-)

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

Or my personal fave http://www.quilt.com/
Has Colouring Book option, I.E. print off graphs of patterns for you
colour in yourself.

Does anyone use a magnifier for cross stitch? I was wondering if I
should try that
and try xstitch again.

Kris

Tara D wrote:
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:37:26 -0400, Brenda Lewis
wrote:

I think quilt designs
would be lovely in latch hook and shouldn't be too difficult to convert.

And if you don't already have enough :-)

http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

Or my personal fave http://www.quilt.com/
Has Colouring Book option, I.E. print off graphs of patterns for you
colour in yourself.

Tara