Converting cross-stitch graphs to latch hook?

Old September 10th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
kagjws

Default Converting cross-stitch graphs to latch hook?

Hello,

I can't find any information on how to use cross-stitch graphs for
latch hooking, so I thought I'd ask here! I've found that a lot of
people said this can be done, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm
presuming it's not a simple one-for-one square.....but it may be once
the cross-stitch graph is enlarged.

Any hints/tips?

Thanks!
Kris

Old September 10th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

One-for-one can easily be done. If you think you'd like to smooth the
lines, you can always change some whole stitches to fractional stitches.
If you want the cross stitch piece to be larger than a one-for-one
conversion, I would recommend four cross stitches in place of one hooked
stitch. That will keep the same proportions as the original chart. The
finished dimensions will still be much smaller than the latch hook
project (unless you are using an incredibly low-count fabric), but will
be much larger than the one-to-one method.

To smooth the lines if you substitute four cross-stitches for one hooked
stitch is much easier also. You don't need any fractional stitches.
Simple do three of the four stitches in one color and the fourth stitch
in the other.

A single stitch of color X which borders an area of color 3 could be
converted to whole stitches
X3
XX

In a one-to-one stitch conversion you would do a three-quarter stitch of
color X and a one-quarter stitch of color 3 to achieve the same effect.

This may be as clear as mud, so holler if you want more info.

--
Brenda
Help Project Gutenberg--become a Distributed Proofreader
Old September 10th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Whoa! I thought the woman asked how she could convert a latch hook
chart to cross stitch?
Dianne

Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/forum
Old September 10th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
vlerk

I can't find any information on how to use cross-stitch graphs for
latch hooking, so I thought I'd ask here! I've found that a lot of
people said this can be done, but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm
presuming it's not a simple one-for-one square.....but it may be once
the cross-stitch graph is enlarged.

Any hints/tips?

Thanks!
Kris

Hi Kris,
As long as your stitches are square, you can use a cross stitch chart for
any technique. The size of the chart should meet the number of latch
stitches in your project. I understand your chart is too small, right? You
can 'double the grid' and smooth lines (like Brenda says) or perhaps the
piles or loops will blur the 2x2 blocks enough. It all depends on the design
I think - enlarged colorblocks will give a more naive look, which is great
with some designs but not with all.

Grea van Vlerken
www.stitchpoint.com

Old September 11th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Brenda Lewis

Ack! Methinks I got it backwards. I thought she HAD latch hook charts
and wanted to use them for cross stitch. Since I've thought of doing
that myself, I'm just in that mode. In that case....

To convert a cross stitch chart to latch hook would be a bit more
difficult. If the cross stitch chart does not have any fractional
stitches or backstitching, then you can do one-for-one conversion. If
there are fractional stitches, you will need to decide for each
fractional stitch which color is more important for that square. I
really don't know of a good way to convert backstitching to use in latch
hook. The same holds true for any other "special" stitches lurking in
the chart.

The other big problem you will face is color selection. I don't know of
any line of yarn that has the same shading and variety of the major
brands of floss. Perhaps some brand is out there, but I've no evidence
of such. You might have to consolidate some colors (instead of six
shades of blue in the same family you might only have four) and you
almost certainly will not get a perfect match. In the event the chart
calls for metallics, I think I'd try to find a non-metallic substitute.
Cutting the pieces to use for latch hook would simply be asking for
trouble since it already has a tendency to fray badly. Unless you
really want a frazzled effect, I believe you will be disappointed.

You will want to run calculations first to make certain you can get
canvas large enough for the design. I believe (based on limited
experience) that latch hook canvas is mostly 5-count or 3.3-count. Most
cross stitch charts have stitch count (H x W) information printed on
them. Use that data to calculate the canvas size.

Example: cross stitch pattern is 60 stitches H x 75 stitches W and you
want to use 3.3-count canvas (3.3 stitches per inch). 60/3.3=just over
18" and 75/3.3=almost 23". If you are planning to turn the edges back
right at the stitching, you only need an extra inch on each side so a
canvas that is 20" high by 25" wide will suffice. There is a definite
direction to latch hook canvas, unlike most cross stitch fabrics, so you
will need to double check that before cutting or ordering!

I suppose, in theory, you could join pieces of canvas to form something
larger than what is commercially available. I honestly do not know how
well that would work. In some ways it would be like turning the edges
under while hooking and going through both layers at once--except of
course you wouldn't have those pesky corners to deal with! If anyone
has done this and wants to share the experience....

Old September 11th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alison

No. She wanted to use Cross stitch graphs for latch hooking as it
says in the subject line.

Alison

Old September 11th 06, 09:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Great question, Kris! A coworker was just eyeing my recent Herrschner's
catalog and wishing some of the kits were latch hook and not cross
stitch. Of course, she was eyeing a wolf kit with about fifty different
shades of gray (okay, massive exageration there, but still... lots of
grays), but I was wondering if a charted needlepoint design wouldn't be
easier. So I'm grateful to you for asking! Now to uncross my eyes and
try and understand the replies... LOL
Tegan

Old September 11th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

Alison wrote:
No. She wanted to use Cross stitch graphs for latch hooking as it
says in the subject line.

Alison

I didn't catch the subject line, but in her question, which I read
several times, the needleworker asks: "I can't find any information on
how to use cross-stitch graphs for latch hooking . . ."

which is the exact opposite.

One of those confusing posts! :~)

Dianne
Old September 11th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Addie Otto

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Alison wrote:
No. She wanted to use Cross stitch graphs for latch hooking as it
says in the subject line.

Alison

I didn't catch the subject line, but in her question, which I read
several times, the needleworker asks: "I can't find any information on
how to use cross-stitch graphs for latch hooking . . ."

which is the exact opposite.

One of those confusing posts! :~)

Dianne

Now *I'm* getting confused! How is Alison's quote, "use Cross stitch
graphs for latch hooking" different from "use cross-stitch graphs for
latch hooking"????? I know it's early here, but I'm more coherent than
that!!

Addie

--
My blog- http://uk.360.yahoo.com/addie_otto