OT medicine costs killing me

Old March 28th 04, 06:10 PM
Kate Dicey

Marie Lewis wrote:

"Taria" wrote in message
BTW,for those in national heath care things aren't free. You are
taxed to pay for the stuff. So if you are healthy you pay for
the guy who isn't and you all give up choices. I wouldn't go for
that option and hope I never have too.

And what choice does someone in dire need have?

The thing about having a national health service and paying for it
through taxes is that those who can afford to pay more do, those with
little or no income pay nothing, and it is free to all at the time and
point of need. Prescription charges are waived for certain groups
(diabetics on insulin, those under 16, those over 65, and other groups I
don't have fixed in my memory). Season tickets for prescription drugs
are available for those with chronic conditions not covered by exemption
certificates, and these make paying for them easier for some.

I paid nothing directly for the gall bladder op: I was refereed, waited
for my slot, and got done relatively quickly due to the severity of the
problem it was causing. I could have gone private, paid a large chunk
for my op, and waited the same amount of time to get it taken out!

Due to my personal income being less than the personal allowance (a bit
over £4000 per year), I am in the process of applying for a Low Income
Exemption from class 2 (self employed) National Insurance
contributions. This will mean, if granted, that the ONLY health care I
pay for directly will be my prescriptions and eye care. The rest is
paid for through general taxation of the working nation as a whole.
Part of civilization is the willingness to take care of our old, and
sick, as a society, rather than leaving it to the lottery of one's
ability to earn and therefore pay. As a sometime tax payer, I like to
know that my money is being spent wisely on what is needed (direct care
rather than top heavy beaurocratic management), rather than wasted on
daft schemes (free yoga for owners of one legged dogs, for example!).
Unfortunately this sometimes means that we get the care the system can
afford, rather than the best available, but it's a damned site better
than folk on A&E trolleys being asked for their insurance certificate
before the docs are allowed to give them life saving treatment for their
gashed artery!

And yes, we tread the stupid as well as the criminal and the deserving.
No judgement is made at the time of need, and this is as it should be.
--
Kate XXXXXX (Right! Soapbox now back in cupboard under stairs!)
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old March 28th 04, 06:37 PM
Dr. Quilter

You gotta be kidding Taria, who quits a job in this kind of economy?
Everybody I know is holding to them for dear life, benefits or not!

It is obvious that we think very different in this subject, but why
wouldn't the government do a better job than a corporation whose only
goal is to make money?? I agree that governments and politicians on
either side can be corrupt, but their goal SHOULD be to help their
citizens out so they can have the best possible options.... I agree that
people should try to take care of their needs but that does not mean
that if you need help you are lazy or not trying hard enough...

Taria wrote:

You can quit or change jobs. They are few, but there are choices in
health insurance plans. Anything the gov't. is involved in
doesn't get better. No doubt in my mind insurance company execs
are rotten. Politicians are worse IMO. On either side, right or left.
There has to be some obligation for people to make an effort to
take care of themselves.
If you think the govt. is protecting you from much of anything
(this or any govt. IMO)you might find yourself dissappointed when
you need them
Taria

I.E.Z. wrote:

Do you think the good benefits you get through your DH's employment are
free? Well, they aren't. If you are paying for your benefits, and
you are
healthy, then you are *still* paying for people who aren't healthy.
If you
are one of the lucky ones who has completely employer-paid benefits, then
people who use the goods and services of your husband's company pay for
them. If the company gets any kind of government subsidies, then the
taxpayers are probably helping to pay for them too. Sure, customers can
avoid paying for your benefits by taking their business elsewhere, but
then
that job with good benefits won't last very long.

I can't see how a government-administered universal health care could be
worse than what a lot of people have now, which is nothing. Locally, a
well-known health insurer is sitting on a huge surplus and wants to raise
rates, using voodoo math to justify it. We are being ripped off left and
right by greedy corporations, in health care and otherwise.

The government is *us* or it should be. If it isn't protecting us
from the
excesses of the profit motive (and right now on the federal level, it
isn't)
then we need to change our government.

Off soapbox - must get on with nephew's big wedding quilt .....sigh.....

Iris (likes little 'uns better!)

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old March 28th 04, 07:07 PM
Marie Lewis

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

Marie Lewis wrote:

"Taria" wrote in message
BTW,for those in national heath care things aren't free. You are
taxed to pay for the stuff. So if you are healthy you pay for
the guy who isn't and you all give up choices. I wouldn't go for
that option and hope I never have too.

And what choice does someone in dire need have?

The thing about having a national health service and paying for it
through taxes is that those who can afford to pay more do, those with
little or no income pay nothing, and it is free to all at the time and
point of need. Prescription charges are waived for certain groups
(diabetics on insulin, those under 16, those over 65, and other groups I
don't have fixed in my memory).

It's better than that. Those in full time education up to 19, someother
chronic invalids (when I had a temporary colostomy, all my medicatio was
free, for everything) and those ober 60.

[...]

We also treat foreigners in emergency situations, completely free, even if
they are millionaires.
Plus we are totally entitled to the Health Services in other EU countries.

Old March 28th 04, 07:59 PM
julia sidebottom

I have been getting some of my meds from Canada for almost 20 years
now because of the cost and some drugs that are already approved there
and not here. The rate of exchange and living close to the Canadian/USA
boarder helps a great deal. At this time I even have most of my dental
work done in Canada because it cost so much less.
The rate of exchange makes the biggest savings though. Our USA
dollars go much further there. We also have a couple local pharmacies
here that will fill prescriptions here for us using Canadian pharmacies
that are branches there. I have good prescription coverage here but some
of my meds are not covered by my insurance so Canada is the best
alternative. As an example one of my non covered meds cost me $419 a
month in Canada it cost me $120. So needless to say it is well worth
the trip. I have not used any of the internet companies however.
juliasb

Polly Esther wrote:
I am so reluctant to ask this since I know you are getting blasted with spam
from drug dealers - but - our prescription bills are just overwhelming. Have
any of you dared to order your medicines from Canada? We almost needed to go
get a tire tool to unlock my jaws when I wrote a check for the drugstore
today.
I mentioned to my precious pharmacist that maybe I needed to go to
Canada. His answer was a surprise. He said, "You could go a long way for
that kind of money."
So. Do any of you in the USA get your prescriptions supplied from Canada
and are you comfortable with what you're getting and is the $s really any
better? Please share your thoughts or experience with me. Polly

Old March 28th 04, 08:02 PM
julia sidebottom

Unfortunately my medication cost are very high. It averages to about
$1600 a month. Even the new changes in Medicare for prescriptions is
not going to be of any help to me... Another thing that is important to
know is that many meds that require a prescription here do not require
one there. So it is well worth looking into things in Canada.
juliasb

Mary in Oregon wrote:
if I didn't get samples from my dr, my meds would cost me over $250/month.

Old March 28th 04, 08:15 PM
Mardi

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:19:23 -0000, "Marie Lewis"
wrote:

"Taria" wrote in message
BTW,for those in national heath care things aren't free. You are
taxed to pay for the stuff. So if you are healthy you pay for
the guy who isn't and you all give up choices. I wouldn't go for
that option and hope I never have too.

And what choice does someone in dire need have?

Absolutely. I get a very tired hearing people say "why should I pay
for something someone else gets".

I would gladly give up the "choice" I have now (not much a choice when
I have to choose a doctor who is in my health plan) if it meant that
the millions of people in the USA who don't have any health care
coverage would have coverage. My daughter is one of those people.
She has been living with a broken tooth now for over a year because
she doesn't have dental coverage and can't afford to pay for it
herself. I have offered a few times to pay for the dentist but she is
too proud to let me pay for her health needs.

Mardi

Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old March 28th 04, 08:22 PM
Mardi

The reason why people in the USA can't afford prescription drugs is
because the FAT CAT drug manufactures charge us premium prices for
drugs they sell to other countries for a fraction of the price. If
you buy a prescription drug in Canada, chances are it is the exact
same drug you pay for in the USA. It's just cheaper because the drug
companies sell it to Canada for a lot less than they sell it for in
the USA. Same thing with Mexico.

A single payer health plan is the only way to go. We are the only
major industrialized country in the world that does not have a
nationalized health system. We are also the richest country in the
world and we have the highest poverty rates and the most people
uninsured. That's pretty sad.

Mardi

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 03:19:15 GMT, " Ellison"
wrote:

Howdy!
Choice? Do without.
Or hope your children/relatives will pitch in to help.
My mom doesn't have a home to mortgage; Medicare pays
for so little of the care she needs, and none of the prescription
drug she needs for rheumatoid arthritis (the idiot's new Medicare Plan
is one of the worst jokes to come out of his office). The state of
Illinois (Texas isn't much better) doesn't help much, either,
because Mom just doesn't qualify as a destitute case.
So I made a deal with Mom: she gets the $$$ for her meds,
I get first choice of the quilts she's hanging on to. That's a choice
we both like. g ( And I'm happy to help.)
Ragmop/Sandy--sick of the fat cats who run the health&prescription drug
industry&this president --and there's no prescription for that, yet... ;-D

Old March 28th 04, 08:28 PM
julia sidebottom

Kathy,
I fully understand. SSD is so little that it is hard to believe I can
really make it on that 3 figure income monthly. When i do have to make
the trip to Canada I have usually been saving up the pennies for a few
months to get the medication that I need. I count my blessing that I do
have prescription coverage that covers most of my meds.
Now dental cost on the other hand is WAY less costly in Canada. I
just had a root canal and cap done a few months ago for $800 Can. and
in USA $$ with a 37% rate of exchange brought it down to Just about $604
USA. The same dental work here would have cost me about $1200. Canada
has prices for such services set so there cannot be any price gouging
and that makes it real nice. The last root canal I had done here in the
USA I will be paying for for the next several year. That root canal cost
me more than $900!!!! That is when I decided it was time to look south
of the boarder for dental work.
There is a quilty side to all of this for me. Since I am dependent
on someone taking me to Canada I do get to stitch away on the drive and
definitely it leaves me a few pennies for fabric shopping while I am there.
juliasb

Kathy wrote:
This is a VERY delicate subject with me -- Read on.

I am on Social Security Disability - My monthly income is well
less than $___ well... lets just say it's a monthly joke !!!
EVERY medicine that I ever need I have to pay for (cash) unless I can
get samples. Now.. I am not big on meds or chemicals in my body due to
the MCS,
but sometimes they are necessary since I have chronic Pancreatitis and
Spinal Neuropathy amongst other chronic problems... anyway... imagine
the look on my face when the ONLY nausea med. that would keep me from
vomiting from a Pancreatitis spell cost over $900. and that was only
for maybe 2 weeks worth as well as only one of the necessary meds that
I NEEDED.

My Migraine meds (only thing that works) are also VERY expensive...
can be hundredsof dollars per month! I seek samples if and when I can.
The mere thought of this can give me a migraine !!!

So no... it is not easy being caught between a rock and a hard place
like this with chronic health problems and needing meds.

Shall we discuss dental costs next ???

Kathy (in Alaska)

Old March 28th 04, 08:37 PM
Mardi

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:58:09 +0100, Kate Dicey
wrote:

Part of civilization is the willingness to take care of our old, and
sick, as a society, rather than leaving it to the lottery of one's
ability to earn and therefore pay.

Kate:

You really nailed the problem with that sentence. It makes me very
sad that I live in a country that seems to only value the wealthy. It
also makes me sad that we are a country of "nimbies". So many people
have the attitude that they don't see why they should pay for
something that benefits someone else. It's like the old people who
vote down a school bond issue because they don't have any kids in the
school. Well, exactly who paid for their kids education?

We are rapidly approaching a situation where we are becoming a country
of the haves (the rich) and the have-not's (the rest of us). Our
middle class is rapidly becoming the poverty class. When a country
becomes that stratified the end result is usually a revolution. I
hope we can solve our problems before it gets to that point. But, if
W wins another term in office I think we are pretty much doomed.

Old March 28th 04, 08:41 PM
julia sidebottom

I don't even open the envelopes any more that are sent to me telling
me the exact cost of meds and treatments. I have had to use a low
cost/sliding scale clinic for the last several years now to be able to
in once a month for a transfusion and treatment for a bleeding disorder.
One of the meds I have to have from time to time would cost me $1500
for one dose. One time I needed to have that medication for 14 days in
a row and was grateful that I didn't have to pay for it...
When I didn't have the health insurance that I have now and the
medication cost were so high that they finally did me in. I lost just
about everything I owned because of this and some other health care
cost. I was blessed though to have some wonderful and caring people in
my life that helped me through the worst of times. I don't look back!
I knew then and know now that no matter what comes down the tube I
will be ok. This experience definitely helped me to learn how to put
myself in someone else's hands. I see all of these things now as a
challenge to my faith and with these challenges the faith only becomes
stronger. If I had even a fraction of the $$ spent on medications in
couple months time I would be a wealth woman. My heart breaks for
anyone who has had to deal with this problem... Been there... done that
.... and do it everyday.
juliasb

JoyceG in WA wrote:
The pills my DH takes for nausea from chemotherapy are $50. Each. Thankfully
we have good health insurance, and pay less than that per pill. Chemotherapy
medication in our case runs $15,000-20,000 (US) per dosage. That chemo can be
administered once/month. I have sat in the chemo lab next to people talking
about what they can sell/beg/borrow to get their next medical treatment. You
feel lucky to have insurance while dealing with a life-threatening illness - I
can't imagine how people cope that don't.

-JoyceG in WA
Kathy in AK said:

[...]

hlink.net...

I am so reluctant to ask this since I know you are getting blasted with

spam

from drug dealers - but - our prescription bills are just overwhelming.

Have

any of you dared to order your medicines from Canada? We almost needed to

go

get a tire tool to unlock my jaws when I wrote a check for the drugstore
today.
I mentioned to my precious pharmacist that maybe I needed to go to
Canada. His answer was a surprise. He said, "You could go a long way for
that kind of money."
So. Do any of you in the USA get your prescriptions supplied from

Canada

and are you comfortable with what you're getting and is the $s really any
better? Please share your thoughts or experience with me. Polly

JoyceG in WA
(take out the "nospam" to reply)

AD: Free for shipping costs...US only lgreene Beads 0 September 9th 04 08:58 PM
"Inspirations" - subscriptions costs, delivery, et al Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 4 March 11th 04 10:19 PM
Costs to start? Susan General Crafting 4 March 1st 04 12:04 PM
cut the costs of redecorating.. here's how modernchef General Crafting 2 December 10th 03 10:31 PM
Load Costs Darryl Lentz Pottery 3 December 8th 03 11:34 AM