quilt shops in NY

Old March 30th 04, 06:47 PM
Terbear

Default quilt shops in NY

Ok, I still need to pack, but I do have my list of LQS's in NY, just incase
we have some time. I am sure my hubby will take me. Also have the local
curves gym addy at hand, cause I will need to keep up my workouts!
I probably won't post while I am gone, so I bet I will have thousands of
groups messages for me when I return!
--
Teri
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts?&page=1

Old March 30th 04, 07:01 PM
TinaHoak

Where in NY are you going? Upstate? NY city ? Might get better info if
we know what part of the state.

Tina
Brockport NY

Old March 30th 04, 07:35 PM
Terbear

must have missed my post yesterday....we are staying in Long Island,
Greenlawn to be exact.
Teri

Old March 31st 04, 12:41 AM
Mika

Wow Teri, that's only about 30 miles from where I live. I live east of there
toward Centereach. Just a couple of days ago I found a really terrific
fabric warehouse called The Fabric Mill on Hwy 110 in Farmingdale. If you're
going south on 110 it's on the right. As soon as you pull off the highway
you have to drive down the hill to the side of the building to get in. It
was by sheer accident that I even found it. I was down in that area for work
and drove past it. I had to turn around and check it out of course. I don't
drive that far from home unless I absolutely have to. I don't do traffic
well. They are supposed to have another one on Glen Cove Rd. in Carle Place
too. I have never been to Carle Place so I don't know where it's at. There
are a couple of fabric stores on Jericho Turnpike in Commack. One is called
Fabric 1 to 3 Dollars, but the fabric in there looked like mostly remnants
and seconds or really thin stuff that you would find on the $1 table at
Walmart. I wasn't too impressed with it and I'm an amateur. I don't remember
the name of the other one but it's across the street. It's a small
craft/fabric store similar to Joann's and seemed a bit pricey to me for what
they had.

Other than that I have not been able to find any fabric/quilt stores on Long
Island. Well, at least not in driving distance for me. If you get the chance
though, check out the Fabric Mill. I bought a piece of fabric the other day
but when I opened it up to have it measured, right in the middle of it
there was a huge brown dye stain. It was marked as 5 yds but I only paid for
4 1/2. They have lots of fabric that isn't on the bolt but folded and
stacked on tables. So be careful and look at it before you buy it. I'm sure
that was just a fluke or something, not a usual occurrence. I will probably
stop in there tomorrow after I turn in all my weeks worth of paperwork. I
have to take advantage of my trips to that area while I can. After this job
ends I won't get to go that way very often.

How long are you going to be in Greenlawn? Do you have family there? Or is
it business? Happy fabric hunting. If you find any shops let me know. I'm
pretty much limited to JoAnn's and Walmart with the exception of the Fabric
Mill on the rare occasion that I will get to visit there.

Mika

Old April 3rd 04, 06:05 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mika and Terbear: There is a nice LQS in an old house on the
main street of Cold Spring Harbor. Can't recall the name right
now, but the owner was kind enough to allow a guild discount for
me even though my guild is here in Virginia! Right up the street
there is a 'new style' deli. We bought sandwiches and chocolate
egg creams and had a picnic in the small park overlooking the
Harbor.
PAT in VA/USA.
Old April 4th 04, 11:26 PM
terbear

Mica,
thanks so much for the tip on the Fabric Mill. We went this afternoon.
The selection was very nice & I was able to get the bandana fabric for
my redwork that I have been in search of.
I have always liked ME fabric but I have only seen it at Walmart, and
only a very limited selection. I picked up a nice selection at a much
cheaper price them walmart. No sale items were to be found, (I am a
bargain shopper). My MIL says there is also fabric store on Jericho
Turnpike really close & hubby & I will go tomorrow after my curves
workout.
It is raining now, but we are still having a great time.
Oh, I went to a Tuesday Morning store & they had a kite template kit
which I had to get from EZquilting.
Teri

Old April 6th 04, 06:38 AM
terbear

Well, after my curves workout today, hubby took me to the other side
of Jericho Turnpike to Fabric Bazaare & 1 to 3 fabrics (which claims
to be the store for people who don't sew)
I bought some rems/ flat folds, and got a darling Eric carle print
which I have never seen, and a John Lennon print which I have seen
before. Their rems were affordable at 3.99 yd, but I felt what they
had to offer was older fabrics. We had seen a NY Giants at the fabric
mill, yet it was 9.99 yd, so when I saw Fabric Bazaare's NFL's for
2.00 yd, I was bummed they did not have NY in stock . Oh, and I did
buy a FQ of oriential sandals, which I fell in love with.
1 to 3 fabrics seemed to offer seconds mostly. I was very careful to
inspect my selections. I did buy a darling "medieval forest" fabric,
Sandra Boyton (which was dated 1984), and a floral from VIP....They
had a 1yd min.
Being from California, I have never seen anyone tear fabric, but that
is all have seen the clerks here do.
I have also noticed that the clerks in all three fabric stores I have
been in have all been less then helpful, like the LQS's at home. It
might have something to do with the fact that none of them were actual
quilt shops.
Can't wait to get back home to play with my fabrics!!!
Teri

Old April 6th 04, 04:14 PM
nana2b

Hi Teri, Where on Jericho Tpk. is this Fabric Bazzaar. I will be going to
NY to visit my folks in Floral Park this month and would love to see this
place. My Mom would love some new curtains for her bedroom and I am taking
my FW with me. TIA, Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old April 6th 04, 08:41 PM
terbear

Hi Linda,
Fabric Bazzaar is in Elwood shopping center & 1 to 3 fabric which has window
treatments is across the street. Fabric Mill is on Jericho Tpk & larkville
road.
Good luck & have fun...
Teri