Costs to start?

Old February 29th 04, 11:29 PM
Susan

Default Costs to start?

I want to market my products at flea markets, craft fairs, malls. I
have no clue what the startup costs are to do this. Someone said that
you don't have to pay at a mall, they work out a commission. But I
don't think that can be true. I live in Florida. I assume I need a
booth, etc.

Have you found it worth the investment?

Thanks,
Susan
Old March 1st 04, 12:12 AM
Karen Walker

Hi, Susan.

I sell my crafts at a flea market. I pay $25 per week for my booth; my
hubby has the booth next to mine, in which we sell "normal" flea market
stuff. Truthfully, I don't really think selling crafts at a flea market is
such a great plan -- I'm considering stopping myself. The main problem I
find is that people have a set idea about what a flea market is, and when
they see quality crafts at reasonable prices (such as those which would be
charged at craft shows), they either won't buy or want to barter. As far as
my crafts are concerned, my rule is no bartering.

Hope this helps.
Karen

om...

Old March 1st 04, 01:58 AM
Harriet

"Susan" wrote in message
om...
I want to market my products at flea markets, craft fairs, malls. I
have no clue what the startup costs are to do this. Someone said that
you don't have to pay at a mall, they work out a commission. But I
don't think that can be true. I live in Florida. I assume I need a
booth, etc. Have you found it worth the investment?
Thanks, Susan

------------------------------------
you would have to contact the mall management office and find out the costs
for space. they all have their own rules and restrictions. I'm sure you
will be able to show your merchandise in a number of places. If you are a
start up, you will have to get out there and risk not making any money for a
while.
God luck, Harriet
http://paperandimages.home.att.net

Old March 1st 04, 02:04 AM
Harriet

om...

---------------------------------
"Karen Walker" wrote in message
Hi, Susan.
I sell my crafts at a flea market. I pay $25 per week for my booth; my

hubby has the booth next to mine, in which we sell "normal" flea market
stuff. Truthfully, I don't really think selling crafts at a flea market

is such a great plan -- I'm considering stopping myself. The main problem
find is that people have a set idea about what a flea market is, and when

they see quality crafts at reasonable prices (such as those which would be
charged at craft shows), they either won't buy or want to barter. As far

as my crafts are concerned, my rule is no bartering. Hope this helps.
Karen

Karen,
Susan's email address is "perimenopause" so maybe it's supplements or herbs.
We don't know. I agree with you regarding the word "flea". I like to hold
out for quality craft fairs with a track record. otherwise you tend to get
garbage-picker mentality looking at your hand made treasures.