OT medicine costs killing me

Old March 27th 04, 04:44 AM
Polly Esther

Default OT medicine costs killing me

I am so reluctant to ask this since I know you are getting blasted with spam
from drug dealers - but - our prescription bills are just overwhelming. Have
any of you dared to order your medicines from Canada? We almost needed to go
get a tire tool to unlock my jaws when I wrote a check for the drugstore
today.
I mentioned to my precious pharmacist that maybe I needed to go to
Canada. His answer was a surprise. He said, "You could go a long way for
that kind of money."
So. Do any of you in the USA get your prescriptions supplied from Canada
and are you comfortable with what you're getting and is the $s really any
better? Please share your thoughts or experience with me. Polly

Old March 28th 04, 08:02 PM
julia sidebottom

Unfortunately my medication cost are very high. It averages to about
$1600 a month. Even the new changes in Medicare for prescriptions is
not going to be of any help to me... Another thing that is important to
know is that many meds that require a prescription here do not require
one there. So it is well worth looking into things in Canada.
juliasb

Old March 29th 04, 02:47 AM
teleflora

"julia sidebottom" wrote in message
Unfortunately my medication cost are very high. It averages to about
$1600 a month. Even the new changes in Medicare for prescriptions is
not going to be of any help to me...

The new changes in Medicare aren't going to help very many people. It's
gonna do a lot for the drug and insurance companies though, so that's a
plus, isn't it? AARP needs to be slapped - hard.

Cindy

Old April 2nd 04, 06:11 PM
tgreen

AARP supported the bill because changes are needed if prescriptions
are going to become more available for seniors. Still, they recognize
that this bill isn't the final product and they are continuing to work
to make changes and improvements on behalf of their members.

Old April 6th 04, 07:24 PM
sassy_q

The new changes in Medicare aren't going to help very many people. It's
gonna do a lot for the drug and insurance companies though, so that's a
plus, isn't it? AARP needs to be slapped - hard.

Cindy

Well i think in due time that changes to the medicare bill will help
out Seniors. It may not look like it right now, but eventually it
will. I believe that AARP is doing what it can in taking steps in the
right direction..
Old March 27th 04, 08:23 AM
Marie Lewis

I know that our Health Service in the UK comes under a lot of criticism (I
am heartily grateful for the NHS) but at least drug bills are never so high.
I am really sorry for you and wish we could help.

Only about 30% of people pay for drugs at all (children, young people in
full time education, people with some chronic illnesses and everyone over 60
get all drugs completely free.)

Those who pay, pay a maximum of about $11 per item and if the drug cost less
than that anyway, can pay the actual cost.

Of course we pay through taxes: but the sense of security is, IMHO, well
worth it. I cannot imagine anyone watning to go back to the old, pre NHS,
days.

Marie

Old March 27th 04, 10:09 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:23:28 -0000, "Marie Lewis"
wrote:

I know that our Health Service in the UK comes under a lot of criticism (I
am heartily grateful for the NHS) but at least drug bills are never so high.
I am really sorry for you and wish we could help.

Only about 30% of people pay for drugs at all (children, young people in
full time education, people with some chronic illnesses and everyone over 60
get all drugs completely free.)

Those who pay, pay a maximum of about $11 per item and if the drug cost less
than that anyway, can pay the actual cost.

Of course we pay through taxes: but the sense of security is, IMHO, well
worth it. I cannot imagine anyone watning to go back to the old, pre NHS,
days.

Marie

Guess what? I'm in full-time education, and have been for about 3
years in the UK, and I pay for my prescriptions. I always have, since
I came over nearly 9 years ago. Someone in the Home Office said that
I could be deported if I every made a claim for any benefit. Is it
true? Who wants to find out?
So I keep paying my £6.30 every month for each of my two
prescriptions. Yes, that is 1/10th of what it would cost for the one
medication in the US. But it annoys me when folks make blanket
statements. I am a permanent British resident, in full-time education
in the UK, and I pay for my medications, and I always have.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old March 27th 04, 01:43 PM
Marie Lewis

wrote:

[...]

I do not know your age, but I was referring to young people under 18. You
misinterpreted my comment. It is your choice whether or not you claim.

Old March 27th 04, 04:48 PM
Kate Dicey

wrote:

[...]

The full time education thing is also age related: you have to be in
full time education AND under 19 or something. That was how it was when
I was a student.

You can get a card or certificate for a year that gives you cheaper
prescription charges: it's worth asking the doc and making enquiries
about what you are entitled to. CAB will be able to help you with
finding out what you can and cannot claim. It costs nowt to ask, and
you cannot lose. You might save quite a bit.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

AD: Free for shipping costs...US only lgreene Beads 0 September 9th 04 08:58 PM
"Inspirations" - subscriptions costs, delivery, et al Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 4 March 11th 04 10:19 PM
Costs to start? Susan General Crafting 4 March 1st 04 12:04 PM
cut the costs of redecorating.. here's how modernchef General Crafting 2 December 10th 03 10:31 PM
Load Costs Darryl Lentz Pottery 3 December 8th 03 11:34 AM