Thermopane window question

Old March 24th 04, 05:22 PM
Bart V

Default Thermopane window question

This one is probably right up your alley Javahut: a while ago I had a
busted window replaced and saved the old one. The glass on only one of
the sides is broken, the other is still intact. It's a 3/4" no-frill
thermopane (double glass, vinyl & aluminum frame). I'm wondering, why
couldn't I make up a nice panel, slap it in and buy a sheet of glass
at the hardware store and glue it on replacing the broken pane. Some
questions of course:
1) will the broken pieces come off easily - the pane was glued on with
some black rubbery/gooey looking stuff
2) what kind of glue should I use for the replacement glass?
3) should I warm up the whole thing with a hairdryer or something
before gluing the pane on? My thinking here is that once glued and the
whole thing cools down, there'll be some kind of vacuum that might
help for insulation purposes
4) worth the effort or a stupid waste of time?
Thanks in advance for some speculations and/or advice,
Bart.
-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

Old March 24th 04, 08:28 PM
Javahut

"Bart V" wrote in message
[...]

To answer according to the numbers,
1) Stanley knife or single edge razor blade will cut through the sealant,
watch your fingers.
2) What do you have access to? 2 part Thiosulfate is what "they" use, I
have had really good results with silicon, its just more expensive, and your
seal will last longer. Not a bad thing.
3)Why would you want to warm it up? There was no vacuum in there to start
with, otherwise the centers of the glass would flex toward each other and
your vision would distort, (accidentally been there, not what you want).
What creates an insulated glass unit is the dead air space inside the sealed
area. There is a dessicant in the aluminum tubes,"the airspace" (a thing,
not a place), to absorb what moisture may arrive due to thermal change
within that dead air. Vacuum insulates nothing.
4) depends, not a waste if you want to put a leaded unit back in the hole
that unit came out of. But consider, how long it has been out of the
opening and broken, that is the length of time the dessicant has been trying
to dry out the air around it. you seal it and things fog up because the
dessicant is not any good. Then it was a waste of time.

Saving of the other piece of unbroken glass? How big was it? DS glass is
what, .85 per sq ft? (Just guessing, haven't looked at an ivoice in a
while) I would have a tendancy to use new glass and new airspace, the
savings is not that great to warrant the extra work. All glass must be
really clean, and you need to know the dessicant is good. I use Super
Spacer from Lauren Edgetech, (CRL or Somaca) airspace and dessicant in one,
and its modern, "warm edge" technology.

Old March 24th 04, 11:55 PM
Moonraker

"Javahut" wrote in message
.. I use Super
Spacer from Lauren Edgetech, (CRL or Somaca) airspace and dessicant in

one,
and its modern, "warm edge" technology.

Are you saying you are making your "own" insulated windows in house? Not
sending them out?

Udamannnnn!!!!!

Old March 25th 04, 02:09 AM
Randy

Vacuum insulates nothing.

I beg to differ! A thermos bottle is nothing more than glass tubes coated
with silvering and a good vacuum. The silvering reflects the radient heat,
and vacuum blocks ambient heat.

Having said that, Java is exacly right on everything else. I'm sure using
vacuum would be the most effiecent method of insulating windows. But I'm
also sure it would be the most problimatic way as well. For all the reasons
Java said and more. You would need to maintain a perfect seal at all times.
One leak and you lose your insulation and you will have the moisture
problems.

Besides, trying to heat an entire window with a hair dryer would be like
trying to blow glass with a Bic lighter.

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Old March 25th 04, 02:24 AM
Javahut

"Randy" wrote in message
Vacuum insulates nothing.

I beg to differ! A thermos bottle is nothing more than glass tubes coated
with silvering and a good vacuum. The silvering reflects the radient heat,
and vacuum blocks ambient heat.

I have, for fishing trip, of course, a Stainless Steel Thermos type bottle.
Has no glass and no plug where a vacuum could be pulled from. That aside, I
DID , Perhaps, MAYBE , mispeak myself about the vacuum thingy, (but my
coffee stays warm all day!) Dead air space is the insulator, which is
warmed by the hot water poured into the thermos, and dumped, before filling
with coffee. IF you inadvertantly draw a vacuum between two pieces of
insulated glass, this happens, )( , and your view distorts with the bend.

and Moon, have been doing so for a great many years, its not that tough to
do. Figure it out, where do the insulating factories get their help from?
Local unemployment line, and half of them are on "tethers" from the county
jail!! Real brilliant work force. If they can do it.....etc.

By the way, you get a leak in an insulated glass unit, lose a seal, dirty
glass, etc, you get condensation with the first change in temperature. As I
know Randy is in Southern CA, and Moon is in Northern GA, you guys get a
break, Bart and I are in the NORTH, and that photo of Liam's in winter, HA
that ain't winter. Sometime I'll post a photo of Winter where you can see
it.

Old March 25th 04, 03:45 AM
nJb

Some thermal exchange happens inside the window due to convection of the
air molecules present. Pulling a vacuum reduces the number air molecules
therefore the amount of thermal exchange. The greater the vacuum the
lower the thermal exchange. Great for "vacuum" bottles, which the
Thermos was called when I was a mere youth, but not practical for
windows for the reasons Java mentioned.

Speaking of Java, here is a picture of the winter he's talking about.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xmi...ll_freezes.jpg

--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old March 25th 04, 01:50 PM
Javahut

Speaking of Java, here is a picture of the winter he's talking about.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xmi...ll_freezes.jpg

Need the one with waist deep snow to go with it!! Good photo,
I got to look into a yahoo photo site, never tried it.

Old March 26th 04, 01:06 AM
C Ryman

Maybe you could make a green house out of it.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio
"Bart V" wrote in message
Many thanks for great info! By the way, this window is about 22X54 or
so and me being a pack rat and all, maybe better off to put it in the
garden, would make a pretty cool ant farm...

But consider, how long it has been out of the
opening and broken, that is the length of time the dessicant has been

trying
to dry out the air around it.

only one year in a moderately damp basement

Thanks again,

Bart.

-
Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Not really an AD, but a marketing question, need advice Kandice Seeber Beads 26 April 4th 04 10:39 AM
Doing a window Angie Glass 1 August 15th 03 06:10 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Question about Learning Lampwork Mike Firth Glass 5 July 13th 03 01:58 PM