Ot i wanted for once to see

Old September 7th 03, 09:56 PM
Brenda Lewis

LOL! I'd say that depends on the type of botanicals...

Darla wrote:
My stash consists of a large number of botanicals and a large number
(though not so nearly as some stitchers; I'm particular about mine) of
dragons. Wonder what that says about me.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: ...on hiatus...

Old September 7th 03, 10:18 PM
Brenda Lewis

The Latin origin meant leader or first. For example, each legion in the
Roman army had a single Primus Pilus (First Spear) which was the highest
rank an ordinary soldier could attain in his legion. This word in the
form "primas" refers to an archbishop which over time became "primat"
and then "primate".

I suppose the zoological order was named Primates because they were
thought to show primacy (preeminence) over other animals.
Merriam-Webster lists the definitions (shortened here) in this order: 1
(often cap.) bishop, 2 (archaic) leader, 3 the order of mammals
including humans

emerald wrote:
"DebM" wrote in message

We were in church this morning while our priest was discussing the
upcoming meeting of the Anglican Primates over the current crisis in
the ECUSA. Shame on me wry grin, I thought the very same thing.
Couldn't they have found another term than Primate?

The use of the word primate with reference to a leader of the church
predates its use in zoology by a great many centuries. So maybe Linneaeus
should have chosen a different word for his classification of animals.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: ...on hiatus...

Old September 7th 03, 10:23 PM
Brenda Lewis

Hmmm, an interesting read, Ruby. Oddly enough, the reverse also occurs.
My sister has a terrible time dealing with monthly hormonal changes
which can trigger seizures and cause such distress she will not be able
to sleep for as long as seven days/nights. Her physicians and my
parents (she lives at home in their care) wanted to use medicine (birth
control pills essentially) to suppress this and the state refused to
allow it since my sister, who has never been able to speak or
communicate in any other consistent form, cannot give consent. Never
mind that she also cannot consent to the activities required to create a
baby!

stitcher wrote:
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:14:55 GMT, "Dr. Brat"
wrote:

How incredibly unfeeling! I'm sorry that happened to you.

Do you want to tell us what the genetic condition is? I'm not aware of
this aspect of the Holocaust.

Elizabeth

The purging of the master race began with mentally handicapped and
proceeded to include many others such as gypsies,etc. Many disorders
which were consider to be genetic were purged ( put to death) as these
disorders were consider to be contaminating the master race.
Although carried to extremes by the nazis it was , Eugenics, also
responsible for the mass sterilization of the mentally handicapped,
some uneducated poor who were deemed to be mentally handicapped in
many countries and the experimentation on many black americans re
non treatment of syphilis to study the course of the disease. PS
before you jump on me for the last sentance pleaseeee google Eugenics.
Ruby
http://www.georgetown.edu/research/n...sn28.htm#intro
http://www.georgetown.edu/research/n...notes/sn28.htm
'There are so
many sides now in Iraq you don't know who is your friend.' Ahmed Jabal, a 30-year-old English
teacher

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: ...on hiatus...

Old September 7th 03, 10:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Thanks Ruby. Thanks for the thoughtful comments, Brenda. I read the
article. Missed the post first time. I'm terribly sorry to hear of your
sister's plight.

Last night I watched (Discovery channel) an hour program on
hermaphrodites (unclear gender at birth) and I was agrieved to know the
suffering of those born with this condition, and the miserable medical
profession who insists on doing what is contrary to the child's best
welfare - clinging to old notions - often lying to parents or going
against their wishes.

Yes, we indeed still have a long way to go. But we can all make small
and positive differences on a frequent basis. Maybe that's all it will
take.

Dianne

Old September 8th 03, 03:55 PM
Pat Porter

Nearly every language has a word or two that looks or sounds like a word in
another language, and may translate as something unfortunate or amusing.
Most of us just live with it, instead of getting obsessed about it!

Pat P.

--
Do not worry about tomorrow`s troubles. Today has enough troubles of it`s
own.
"Brenda Lewis" wrote in message
The designer is Becky Waldrop. The collection is MarBek. Note the
capitalization in the collection name; given the designer's first name
is Becky, it is possible she once collaborated with someone else (Mary,
Martha, Margaret, Marisabel...) and they combined their names to make a
name for their collection. That is a common practice in this country in
an effort to come up with a unique company name that won't infringe on
some other company's trademarks. If this is something you feel you must
know, perhaps you should e-mail her and ask. Her address is available
from this site:

http://www.serendipitydesigns.com/Ma...tc/marbek_desi
gns_for_cross_stitc.html

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
A Jewish friend smiled and asked : Does she know what marbek means ??

Yes, I believe I do. However, in this case, it is also, apparently,
the designer's company Mar Bek.

the Plain Hebrew meaning is the place where animals are locked in to
be Fattened and stuffed with food to be slaughtered .
Tht is why we smile uneasily when we see all this posts about making
the marbek etc....obviously the maker took a term from the Tanach =
Bible without realizing it`s meaning .

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: ...on hiatus...

Old September 9th 03, 03:08 AM
Dr. Brat

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
The word Marbek comes straight from the Hebrew , it is probably
connected to the Nativity story, in the English transalation.

How do you know that this was Becky Waldrop's intent? And if it was her
intent, why do you suppose that she chose to capitalize the "b" in MarBek?

There is a great difference between the `Faux Ami` terms and words ,
[words that Look and or sound like one in another language , but
aren`t]and those that Originate in other languages.

And there's also a difference between words that orginate in other
languages and company names that just seem like it. I don't know for
sure how this designer picker her company name and I'm wondering why you
are so sure that you do know. Do you not believe in coincidence?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old September 9th 03, 10:50 AM
Pat Porter

The word Marbek comes straight from the Hebrew , it is probably
connected to the Nativity story, in the English transalation.
There is a great difference between the `Faux Ami` terms and words ,
[words that Look and or sound like one in another language , but
aren`t]and those that Originate in other languages.
mirjam
Nearly every language has a word or two that looks or sounds like a word

in
another language, and may translate as something unfortunate or amusing.
Most of us just live with it, instead of getting obsessed about it!

For goodness sake, Mirjam - it`s already been explained to you how the name
MarBek was arrived at in this particular case. Do you have to persist even
in something this innocent?

Pat P.

Old September 9th 03, 03:39 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I was not commenting on the company`s name , but on the term and
phrase Marbek ,
Why does it annoy so much when i see a word and react to It`s being a
Hebrew term.
Since many words in English come from the various biblical
translations , it is not harming you.
When i find local people using English terminology i do the same .
There is no harm at all in this `hobby`.
mirjam

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old September 9th 03, 04:02 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote.
The word Marbek comes straight from the Hebrew , it is probably

connected to the Nativity story, in the English transalation.

Why do you think the term is connected with the Nativity narrative??
Dawne

Wanted genuine African art and antiques nordend Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 07:44 AM
Sort of OT - Building a Teaching Studio: Input Wanted Tinkster Beads 10 December 11th 04 05:22 AM
wanted: glass blowing torch Lloyd Glass 2 November 10th 04 03:30 AM
torch wanted S. Daly Glass 0 October 1st 04 12:48 AM
I am new to the group, and just wanted to introduce myself:) glassaffinity Beads 1 July 22nd 04 01:32 AM