You Know You're a Stitcher When....

Old January 8th 04, 01:34 AM
Karen C - California

Default You Know You're a Stitcher When....

You check the small carry-on bag with your clothing, and carry-on the 28"
suitcase with your scroll bars.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 8th 04, 05:53 AM
Karen C - California

In article , Deb Milner
writes:

I have an Olympia
Sports Plus roll tote (sort of a stripped down backpack on wheels with
a handle), that fits my computer bag AND my scroll kit just
perfectly...and keeps me under the carry-on limit.

I have a soft-sided Lands End carry-on, with a pocket for the computer (in a
bubble-pak envelope) and big enough to hold the 18" scrolls (but not the 24s)
in the main compartment, plus the munchies, radio (for that two hours on the
ground at DFW), book (in case seatmate snarls about stitching or is a
chocolate-fingered toddler), etc.

With the shoulder strap for carrying, Mom will tell you there have been times
she's wondered whether the carry-on itself is heavy enough to max out my
luggage weight limit. But I'm a big girl, and even with two tons in there, I
swing it around like it's nothing, so no one has ever asked me to put it on the
scale. I just make sure that Mom doesn't try to lift it, because that
would give me away.

Old January 8th 04, 03:33 PM
koalamom

I tried this morning, in vain ;-), to work on my WIP while on my
exercise bike. No problem the way the bike is designed to balance my
needed materials within arms reach. Started working along and had
about 10 stitches done in one color and then realized that I was " off
" on my count and just stopped .... it was harder than I thought to
count on 18 count black Aida when I couldn't hold it perfectly still
because the legs were pedaling the bike ;-) ... so I stopped
immediately and will take out the needed stitches later on and then
get back to it. No more trying to work while on my bike ....

Julie
Old January 8th 04, 03:37 PM
georg

koalamom wrote:

I tried this morning, in vain ;-), to work on my WIP while on my
exercise bike. No problem the way the bike is designed to balance my
needed materials within arms reach. Started working along and had
about 10 stitches done in one color and then realized that I was " off
" on my count and just stopped .... it was harder than I thought to
count on 18 count black Aida when I couldn't hold it perfectly still
because the legs were pedaling the bike ;-) ... so I stopped
immediately and will take out the needed stitches later on and then
get back to it. No more trying to work while on my bike ....

Julie

I put "Cutwork" up by my exercise bike. I'm going to read a chapter
while I ride every day.

-georg

Old January 9th 04, 04:25 AM
Lorraine

I read on my ski machine and also while using my Healthrider. I had never
though of trying to stitch while exercising and it sounds like that wouldn't
have worked anyway. Think I'll stick to reading.

Lorraine

--
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield -author unknown
"georg" wrote in message
.. .

Old January 9th 04, 02:14 PM
koalamom

S (Karen C - California) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(koalamom) writes:

it was harder than I thought to
count on 18 count black Aida when I couldn't hold it perfectly still
because the legs were pedaling the bike

For a while, I was riding a bus that hit a lot of potholes. I got a 10-count
kiddie kit for that trip, which worked much better than the 18-count.

Or maybe you'd do better with knitting or crocheting while you ride?

Hmm .... I have tried my hand at knitting but it is very much at the
basic " this is a needle, this is how you cast on stitches, etc. "
introductory stage. I enjoy it but don't actively do it at the moment
for several reasons. I enjoy my cross stitching too much to put it
down. I can see results instantly in stitching and for knitting you
really have to do a bit of it over time to see any results ( see the
work grow in size, see different sorts of stitches as you go and so on
). Also, we are in the beginning to middle stages of planning a major
move and the knitting needles and " how-to " book are packed up right
now. I mentioned this once as a side bar to a thread many months ago,
but the move on deck for us is overseas. Right now, I live in Ann
Arbor, Michigan. My husband is Australian with PR in the US. We are
moving back home to his native country at the end of this year. Our
target date for hopping on the plane is 20 December. The visa
paperwork for the permanent move on behalf of myself and my teenage
daughter ( my husband's stepdaugher ) is in the pipeline at the
Australian Embassy in Washington. We expect that back in a April to
June timeframe. Once we have that visa back, then we can purchase
plane tickets, one-way thank you ..... Anyways, so many things
to do to get ready. Oh, the crocheting you mentioned ? I tried that
at some point when I was in my teens, it was cool and I enjoyed it.
But I don't have time right now to pick that up again either.
Knitting though, I do have needles and instruction books, so one step
better than crocheting, which frankly, although I enjoyed it, I have
forgotten how to do it. But I know that it is fairly simple though
...... Julie
Old January 10th 04, 02:38 AM
explorer

"Lorraine" wrote in message
I read on my ski machine and also while using my Healthrider. I had never
though of trying to stitch while exercising and it sounds like that

wouldn't
have worked anyway. Think I'll stick to reading.

Lorraine

Well, there's just no way I can read or stitch during my exercise routine.
I swim.