Thread Gatherer conversion chart?

Old September 23rd 04, 04:02 AM
Linda Wright

Default Thread Gatherer conversion chart?

Help! I've run a quick Google search, but people here *always* know
the answer - is there a conversion chart from Thread Gatherer threads
to DMC?

Thanks!

Linda
Old September 23rd 04, 10:42 PM
Jacqueline

The only Thread Gatherer fibers I'm familiar with are overdyed, so the
answer would be no, there isn't a conversion to DMC. Does anyone know any
differently?

--
Jacqueline
Carmichaels PA
om...

Old September 24th 04, 04:01 PM
Linda Wright

"Jacqueline" wrote in message ...
The only Thread Gatherer fibers I'm familiar with are overdyed, so the
answer would be no, there isn't a conversion to DMC. Does anyone know any
differently?

I went to the web site and yes, they are all overdyes. However, no
one locally carries Thread Gatherer. I can get Weeks, Gentle Arts and
Caron. . . .'

I think I may have to sit at my computer, pull up the site and try to
do the best I can! Thanks for your help though.
Old September 24th 04, 09:38 PM
Dr. Brat

Linda Wright wrote:
"Jacqueline" wrote in message ...

The only Thread Gatherer fibers I'm familiar with are overdyed, so the
answer would be no, there isn't a conversion to DMC. Does anyone know any
differently?

I went to the web site and yes, they are all overdyes. However, no
one locally carries Thread Gatherer. I can get Weeks, Gentle Arts and
Caron. . . .'

In my opinion, it is worth it to mail order Thread Gatherer threads
rather than trying to find a conversion. They are truly fantastic
threads. In my opinion, Thread Gatherer silks are superior to Caron
silks. They don't really compare to Gentle Arts and Weeks, because they
are not (to my knowledge) cotton, but silk, wool and silk/wool blends.

You can order them he www.threadexpress.com

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old September 26th 04, 08:33 AM
lula

I have many of Cece's (Thread Gatherer) hand dyed threads......Cece
actually dyes all her own threads which are all natural materials.

The threads are mixtures of several different color shades and not as
subtle as some of the other overdyed threads although there are some
subtle colors but overall, The Thread Gatherer is a very unique line of
threads and silk ribbons in their own special colors......it would be
difficult to convert any of these colors to floss colors due to the
unique gradations of the overdyed colors.

In my collection are overdyed threads made of 100% silks, blends of 50%
silk and wool, 100% flax, 100% lambswools, 100% silk chenilles and silk
ribbons.......the gradation of colors on the silk ribbons are utterly
wonderful creating lovely shades when stitched in SRE techniques. It's a
pleasure to work with these threads for all types of needlework.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old September 26th 04, 09:14 PM
Linda Wright

Unfortunately, they are too expensive for me to do that! I want to do
one of the JCS Xmas ornaments (the Monsterbubbles one - don't ask me
to spell it out here - it's Hawaiian for Merry Christams). It has
about 10 colors - much as I love it, I can't spend $54+ to do one
ornie. . .

Linda
Old September 26th 04, 11:00 PM
Brenda

If you are just using the colors on something ornament-sized, you should
be able to do an entire set of them or have a substantial quantity left
for other projects. Leftover overdyed floss is great to substitute into
projects with a lot of confetti stitches in one color group.

Old September 26th 04, 11:22 PM
Mavia Beaulieu

"Linda Wright" wrote in message
om...
Unfortunately, they are too expensive for me to do that! I want to do
one of the JCS Xmas ornaments (the Monsterbubbles one - don't ask me
to spell it out here - it's Hawaiian for Merry Christams). It has
about 10 colors - much as I love it, I can't spend $54+ to do one
ornie. . .

Linda

I agree Linda, that is far too big an expense for one ornament. I think
designers do a disservice to the stitching community when they use
expensive specialty threads for these small projects in the Christmas
Ornaments magazine. They should at least give DMC alternatives (not
substitutions). What I would do is take the list of Thread Gatherer's Silk
'n Colors and look them up on their website:
http://www.threadgatherer.com/index.shtml Then I would chose a DMC
alternate closest to the color. You might even want to blend some threads
for the land and the sand. It's not a particularly complicated design.

Mavia

Old September 27th 04, 10:38 AM
kirby19711

Linda,

You might buy just one or two colours then use a dye pen on DMC (the
lightest shade) for the sand, tree trunks and maybe some palm leaves.
They're not cheap but if you use one of them just 2 or 3 times it will
almost pay for itself. I've used a green one on DMC and have had no
trouble. I'm sorry I can't remember the brand of the one I used.

Anne

Old September 27th 04, 03:13 PM
Linda Wright

I agree Linda, that is far too big an expense for one ornament. I think
designers do a disservice to the stitching community when they use
expensive specialty threads for these small projects in the Christmas
Ornaments magazine. They should at least give DMC alternatives (not
substitutions).

I agree - and think they actually did that last year - had a
conversion chart for at least some of the threads. I've looked
through the magazine carefully several times and don't see it this
year.

Linda