The how to of Hands of RCTQ

Old December 20th 03, 05:31 PM
Diana Curtis

Default The how to of Hands of RCTQ

The following was copy and pasted from my original post way back in May of
this year.
Someday I will get around to condensing the material into something more
cohesive but this will have to suffice for now.

The idea behind this quilt is to make and leave behind an ever growing
record of who and what we (RCTQ) are and were. Anyone and everyone, lurkers
and posters alike, are invited to participate in this venture.
Im going to post the 'rules' such as they are. Its likely there will be
questions after this and to save time Im going to say, whatever your
question the answer is 'yes'. :-) For example:
1. May I make more than one?
Yes. Make as many as you want! If you want to make one in memory of someone
who has left our cyber frame already, please feel free to. If we end up with
10 blocks honoring the same person thats fine!
2. On the back of the block, may I use embroidery or pigma pen or machine
embroidery?
Yes, yes, yes. Use whatever method you feel happy with as long as its
permanent and washable.
3. I cant make buttonholes to save my life, can I still submit blocks?
Yes! Some people have volunteered to make buttonholes in existing blocks.
Ill ask them to step forward with their addys at this time. There are others
who can teach you if you like.
4. Can someone explain what birthing the quilt means?
Yes!
5. Is it ok to use (fill in the blank) on the front of my block?
Yes! As long as it can stand up to an occasional hand washing in mild soap
feel free to add it.
6. Is there a cut off date?
NO... ok.. so its not all yes. This quilt is being made to be added on to.
Future RCTQers will be able to make their mark on this quilt as well! There
is some talk about the folks meeting up in Houston in 2004 bringing the
blocks to join together. Details for that havent been worked out yet.
7. Who do I send my block to?
I dont know yet. Hopefully by the time you have one done I will.

Ok. Now for the particulars.

8"x10" finished size
prewashed materials, good quality 100% cotton for base and back
Depict your hand in any way you wish, somehow that reflects who you are.
back should be muslin, unbleached or white.
flannel or thin batting inside
construction method... birth the mini quilt
put 1./4" buttonhole in each corner, approx. 1/4" away from the edges.
include 1 yard of 1/4" grosgrain ribbon with each block you send.
Sign, date, and add whatever else info you like on the back with a permanent
method. This is the part that tells future generations who you are, have fun
telling them. Include your posting name, royal name if you wish as well!
If there are questions please ask. Last time this thread lasted forever!
:-)

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old December 20th 03, 08:21 PM

Thank you, Diana, for posting the rules. Since I will be collecting the
blocks, I would be glad to add the one-quarter inch buttonholes to each
one, for those who panic at the thought. My Bernie makes lovely
buttonholes, and remains strong and faithful...no worries. Nancycog in
MD

Old December 20th 03, 10:00 PM
Diana Curtis

Wow, what a generous offer, thank you! I may take you up on the offer of
buttonholes too, even tho my Bernie makes a mean buttonhole I still dont
enjoy doing it. Well.. we shall see.
I popped over to the web site to see your hand block and it is wonderful,
just what I was hoping people would do, and that is, take the very basic
idea and make it their own. I stopped to look at some of your other works,
the quilt, and am quite impressed. Lovely quilts, lovely colors. Our blocks
couldnt be put in better hands!
Diana

Old December 20th 03, 10:30 PM

Wow, thanks, Dearie! Nancycog in MD

Old December 20th 03, 11:30 PM
hfw

Nancy, I'd love to see your hand block. What's the url?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old December 21st 03, 07:29 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

"hfw" wrote in message ...
Nancy, I'd love to see your hand block. What's the url?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

I found it!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...983&uid=769647

Beautiful, Nancy! Hmmm. Still figuring out how to make mine...

A Joy in Hawaii