Your opinion needed ASAP

Old June 9th 04, 08:45 PM
hfw

Default Your opinion needed ASAP

Do you think it's unreasonable to insist on using an escrow service to
purchase a sewing machine for $2500 from a private party whose ad I saw
online? She purchased the machine used, and her dealer no longer carries the
brand, so I can't ask for her to include a note from the dealer about the
condition. It seems to me that since the warranty doesn't transfer, and I
don't know her, and I can't see the machine, that it's an awfully big gamble
without the escrow.

What do you think?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old June 9th 04, 08:55 PM
frood

I think that is a reasonable request. I would also ask to split the cost of
the escrow service. But, if she doesn't go for it, you need to be willing to
walk away from it.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old June 9th 04, 08:56 PM
Pat in Virginia

Heidi: In this situation an Escrow Service is an excellent idea.
Your request is not out of line, nor unreasonable. If I were the
seller I'd have no complaints, but perhaps the person needs the
money real fast. My Grandpa used to say: "Marry in Haste, Repent
at Leisure!" Same goes for SM!!
PAT in VA/USA

Old June 9th 04, 08:58 PM
hfw

Well, I think that's what's going to happen, walking away, I mean. I even
offered to pay for the whole escrow service since I just can't quite see
sending a bank check--no less!--for $2500 to someone I don't know for
something I can't see. Oh well.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

om...

Old June 9th 04, 09:00 PM
hfw

I don't think she needs the money *that quickly. She'd have it within two
weeks. I just don't get it.

Old June 9th 04, 10:27 PM
Shirley.Caylor

Can't you use a service like paypal? I think they have some type of
guarantee program. Does this private party have a way to accept credit
cards? Usually if you pay by credit card the company will step in if you
have a problem with the equipment.

If all else fails, WALK AWAY! That is a lot of money to gamble with if the
seller isn't going to give some sort of guarantee. What type of machine is
it? You may be able to find a used one closer to where you live for around
the same price.

Shirley Caylor

Old June 10th 04, 02:46 AM
Mardi

DO NOT use Paypal on a transaction like this. They will not stand up
for you if there is anything wrong with the sewing machine.

Don't even pay with a credit card.

Do you really want to go through all those hassles? An escrow service
is the best solution and if the seller is dead set against it, I would
wonder why.

This does sound like one to walk away from.

Mardi

"hfw" wrote in message
Do you think it's unreasonable to insist on using an escrow service to
purchase a sewing machine for $2500 from a private party whose ad I saw
online? She purchased the machine used, and her dealer no longer carries

the
brand, so I can't ask for her to include a note from the dealer about the
condition. It seems to me that since the warranty doesn't transfer, and I
don't know her, and I can't see the machine, that it's an awfully big

gamble
without the escrow.

What do you think?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat
Old June 10th 04, 03:07 AM
hfw

Thanks... That's what I thought, but her response really took me by
surprise.

I will be trading up with my dealer and getting my mom's Featherweight
cleaned up to use as a 2nd machine, which I've been meaning to do for awhile
anyway.

Old June 10th 04, 06:08 AM
Joanna

If I'm not too late I agree. No way would I do it without an escrow or
some protection for my sake. But that's just my two cents.
Joanna

hfw wrote:
Do you think it's unreasonable to insist on using an escrow service to
purchase a sewing machine for $2500 from a private party whose ad I saw
online? She purchased the machine used, and her dealer no longer carries the
brand, so I can't ask for her to include a note from the dealer about the
condition. It seems to me that since the warranty doesn't transfer, and I
don't know her, and I can't see the machine, that it's an awfully big gamble
without the escrow.

What do you think?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b