Disaster and shame around New Orleans to get worse???

Old September 5th 05, 02:33 AM
Fred

Default Disaster and shame around New Orleans to get worse???

Tell me it ain't gonna happen!!

Few if any of the people displaced by hurricane Katrina will get training or
jobs in the rebuilding of New Orleans and other effected areas in Louisiana
and Mississippi.

Mortgage companies will foreclose on properties when the displaced people
miss their mortgage payments, then the mortgage companies will clear the
area and build high-rise apartment buildings, the rent for apartments in
these new high-rise apartment buildings will be so high that the displaced
people will not be able to afford them - the displaced people will be
displaced forever.

For some reason I can't get the following melody out of my mind;
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - Joan Baez

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
Don't backstitch to email
just stitchit.

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

Old September 5th 05, 12:44 PM
Pat P

"Fred" wrote in message
Tell me it ain't gonna happen!!

Few if any of the people displaced by hurricane Katrina will get training
or
jobs in the rebuilding of New Orleans and other effected areas in
Louisiana
and Mississippi.

Mortgage companies will foreclose on properties when the displaced people
miss their mortgage payments, then the mortgage companies will clear the
area and build high-rise apartment buildings, the rent for apartments in
these new high-rise apartment buildings will be so high that the displaced
people will not be able to afford them - the displaced people will be
displaced forever.

For some reason I can't get the following melody out of my mind;
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - Joan Baez

Fred

Can that really happen, Fred? Over here it`s always a condition of being
granted a mortgage that the property is fully insured - usually through the
mortgage company.

Pat P

Old September 5th 05, 03:51 PM
Nyssa

Pat P wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Which may pay off what's left on the mortgage to the lender,
with whatever equity, if any, going to the homeowners. And
don't forget there's often a huge difference in insured value
and replacement value.

With no job to go to, how will the homeowners have the money
to rebuild, and where will they stay in the meanwhile?

See the thread in misc.consumers for a discussion on home
insurance in NO. The gist is unless the owners also had a
special rider for *flood* insurance, standard homeowners will
only pay for hurricane wind damage, NOT for what they deem
to be caused by flooding.

It's a mess and going to get messier as the paperwork starts
to flow and people realize that insurnace doesn't cover what
they thought it did.

Nyssa, who has been through major hurricanes and knows whereof
she speaks
Old September 5th 05, 05:51 PM
Pat P

"Nyssa" wrote in message
Pat P wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

I should have added that our insurance takes that into account - as is usual
here, to insure against removal of rubble etc. and the cost of rebuilding.
It certainly pays to check out exactly what your police DOES cover, though!

The thing that irritates me, is that although there is absolutely NO way
our house could ever be flooded, the insurance companies make no reduction
in our premiums for that fact!

When we had our major flood in 1953, with a surge down the North Sea which,
as well as coming in from the beach, broke through the river walls and
attacked us from behind, we had very little if any trouble with looters.
Human nature being what it is, there must have been the odd one or two
looters, but most people were just far more concerned with helping the
victims. I hope it would be the same today, although one wonders. I
remember spending days retrieving M.I.L`s treasures and cleaning the filth
from them - and nothing at all had been stolen. Disasters really bring out
the best - and, sadly, sometimes the worst in people.

You can still see the flood level in the lower part of town - the bricks up
to just above the ground floor windows are cleaner than the rest! My
parents-in-law were in that one, with John`s 3 day old brother and I well
remember the devastation. The Fire brigades pumped the houses out as fast
as they could, then the authorities provided loads of fan heaters and
generators. It was quite surprising how quickly the houses became habitable
again. Of course not many houses here have basements.

A lot of people were drowned, particularly those in the pre-fabricated
bungalows which had been put up just after the war. Something like those
would be an ideal solution for your homeless families, in a suitable area
away from a flood plain (obviously) I would think. Ours were actually
excellent and, in fact, a few are still in use after all that time!

Pat P

Old September 5th 05, 06:46 PM
Dr. Brat

Nyssa wrote:

See the thread in misc.consumers for a discussion on home
insurance in NO. The gist is unless the owners also had a
special rider for *flood* insurance, standard homeowners will
only pay for hurricane wind damage, NOT for what they deem
to be caused by flooding.

Yes, but most mortgage companies will require flood insurance unless the
house is about the hundred year flood line, so I would imagine that many
of the houses in NO had flood insurance. That's pure speculation on my
part, though.

It's a mess and going to get messier as the paperwork starts
to flow and people realize that insurnace doesn't cover what
they thought it did.

That's for sure.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 5th 05, 07:09 PM
Lucille

--
I for one don't envy them at all. I didn't have near the kind of damage
that these people in NO have and I know dealing with the insurance company

I had to send pictures of my roof and an estimate from a roofer and every
other kind of contractor I needed, down to a handyman to do some small
things, and I spent hours and days arguing about every single item that
needed fixing. I have full replacement value on my home but that didn't seem
to make any difference. Apparently I was one of the luckier victims of the
hurricane because many of those people who lost everything are still not in
a new house.

I can't even imagine what kind of problems there will be with this kind of
devastation.

Lucille

Old September 5th 05, 07:12 PM
Dr. Brat

Dr. Brat wrote:

Yes, but most mortgage companies will require flood insurance unless the
house is about the hundred year flood line, so I would imagine that many

Sorry, that should read "above the hundred year flood line."

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 5th 05, 09:37 PM
Lucretia Borgia

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 16:51:20 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

[...]

When I was in Shad Bay it used to irritate me no end that I had to
include the garden shed in the policy. If it had dropped in the sea,
I could not have cared about it, but no, pay more for a shed I didn't
want. It carefully said in the policy though, it was not insured
against the most likely reasons it might have been down, tides,
hurricanes etc.

There are still some prefabs in Halifax. They are gussied up now,
they have been raised and basements put in underneath and they go for
a very good price, small though they are by todays standards. They
will be laughing (the prefab owners) this winter, bet they are
inexpensive to heat being compact. It's all these monster homes,
owned by younger couples, with their SUVs in the driveway who are
about to learn a very nasty lesson lol Well that is, unless something
changes very fast as regards barrells of oil and I doubt that.
Old September 6th 05, 01:36 AM
Karen C - California

Pat P wrote:
Can that really happen, Fred? Over here it`s always a condition of being
granted a mortgage that the property is fully insured - usually through the
mortgage company.

Pat P

There is (in some states) a provision that once your equity in the
property exceeds a certain percentage, you may choose to drop the insurance.

Someone I know worked for an insurance agency. A bank in her area
required anyone within X feet of water to have flood insurance to get a
mortgage. One of their clients was buying a house on a cliff, ohhh,
about 100 feet above the water level of a stream. But his house fell
within the green zone on the map, so there was no arguing with the bank
that Noah would be back before this fellow needed flood insurance.
Solution: they found him a policy which would allow him to pay premiums
monthly instead of a full year in advance. He paid for one month, got
his mortgage, and didn't pay another premium. The mortgage company
never checked to see that he'd kept the policy in force.

--
Karen C - California
Finished 8/16/05 - Be Sure to Pay the Pipers

WIP: 50th Anniversary sampler for aunt/uncle, July birthstone,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
blogging at http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old September 6th 05, 01:48 AM
Karen C - California

Nyssa wrote:
Which may pay off what's left on the mortgage to the lender,
with whatever equity, if any, going to the homeowners. And
don't forget there's often a huge difference in insured value
and replacement value.

My friend in Florida is reporting that houses in her area have almost
doubled in price since their hurricane last year destroyed so many of
them. Supply and demand. So, even if you get paid the full value of
your house as of August 2005, there is no guarantee that that will be
enough to buy a similar house when you get the check in October 2005.

When I was pricing insurance, the flood insurance portion cost about as
much as the regular policy. No telling how much more expensive it would
be in the hurricane zone. So I'm sure there are people who chose not to
pay that much.

I don't know about hurricane insurance, since that wasn't a part of the
policy that I was likely to need, but with my earthquake insurance, my
deductible is 10% of the value of the house. In other words, even with
insurance, I've got to pay five figures before the California Earthquake
Authority chips in a cent. Frankly, I'm not sure I could come up with
that much cash, but that's the standard policy -- can't get a lower
deductible.