UK Knitting & Stitching Show, Alexandra Palace

Old October 9th 04, 10:59 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Default UK Knitting & Stitching Show, Alexandra Palace

If you're in the UK tomorrow (Sunday 10 October), and can get to
Alexandra Palace, North London, then treat yourself to a ticket for the
Knitting & Stitching Show - I've just got back and am shopped out -
theres so much there this year for all crafts, not just knitting and
stitching!

Of course, I bought fabric, but also quite a few crafty bits, and had 3
classes as well, felt-making, tea-bag folding and lucet-braid making,
which I particularly was looking forward to as I sometimes use a lucet
whilst at our re-enactment camps.

The fabric I got was all lovely and christmassy, reds, greens and
creams, my friend got me vouchers from Paulines Patchwork which is in
Weymouth, Dorset, which is far too far for me to get to in one day, so I
was really glad to see them in London.
http://www.paulinespatchwork.co.uk/
is their website, I bought one of their fabric bouquets which isn't
actually shown, but you get the general idea, also one of their box kits
(the quadrangle one).

It was a very busy day, 3 classes is too much when there are so many
stands to look at, next time mebbe I'll just do 2, give myself more time
to slowly wander around! Right at the end of the show, it was back to
Paulines Patchwork and I bought a book on Foundation Pieced Stained
Glass patchwork - and a rainbow of FQ's in plain Amish colours with a
half metre of black thrown in!

Came home with 80 pence, tired but very happy!

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the pier"
Southend, UK

Old October 10th 04, 08:23 AM
Flossy

A perfect day then ? Couldn't you have spent the last 80 pence ?
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://www.flossy.net

Old October 10th 04, 09:14 AM
Krysia Thompson

I went to the show in Harrogate last year (and am going again
this year) - guess what...I

Kasia and I went on the Saturday of the Rugby world cup final
match...the last 20 minutes of the match I drove erratically,
according to the pitch/increasing or decreasing speed of speech
of the commentator/action taking place...Kasia was in
stitches...then we arrived in Harrogate as as the match
ended...full time and there was going to be extra time 2 x
10min....I went around half the town FOUR times...you come out of
the multi-storey car park, go right, go right, drive along, come
to the roundabout, , go round it, get into the one way sysstem,
turn righ, go up and...either go into the carpark, or - right t
come out again...anyway, eventually 1st half of extra time
finihed, another cliffhanger, we went and parked....took us a few
minutes....

came out, and decided to go into the firts shop we see to ask
about the score...it turned out to be a very gay barber's
shop....from outside it didn't look like an abode with a blasting
radio...it turned out it was, we were updated...at the door to
the show the security guards had a small radio going, so we got
another update. We got into the show, realised it was
predominantly ladies over 60 there, with reinforced
concrete/steel elbow caps at mostly xxx=stitch stalls (wasn't
true ALL of it but looked like it...)...when the loudspeaker
announced the final result...You should have heard the screams
and hurrahs and yipppppeeeessss..i suspect the live match
audnience made less noise.

So - this year's even will be positively boring but i am still
looking forward to it!

Krysia

[...]

K.T. - starannie opakowana
Old October 10th 04, 10:46 AM
Roberta Zollner

So what's a lucet braid? Or is this something normal person already knows?
(Wish I could go to the show!) And teabag folding???? You need a class for
that? Only in England ;-)
Roberta in D

k...

Old October 10th 04, 11:38 AM
Patti

In London, it probably wouldn't even have bought her a cup of tea!
Glad you had a good day, Suzie.
..
In article , Flossy
writes
A perfect day then ? Couldn't you have spent the last 80 pence ?
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://www.flossy.net

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 10th 04, 12:12 PM
Quidnunc

Yes, this puzzled me. I never fold my tea bags before throwing them away
(what a slut I am!) - but I do squeeze them cruelly with the back of the
spoon.
I've got a lot to learn.
JJ - also ignorant of lucet making. Mess-making is my forte.

"Roberta Zollner" .........

Old October 10th 04, 04:40 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Patti wrote:
In London, it probably wouldn't even have bought her a cup of tea!
Glad you had a good day, Suzie.
.
In article , Flossy
writes

A perfect day then ? Couldn't you have spent the last 80 pence ?
Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://www.flossy.net

hurumph - £2.30 for a bottle of spring water, a bag of crisps and a
kitkat... they sure know how to charge...

Suzie B

Old October 10th 04, 04:48 PM
Patti

It is *so* good to see you JJ g I thought it might have been a mirage
yesterday, so I didn't say anything! But, here you are again.
He-he: I've heard that phrase and I thought someone was having a joke.
Hurry up and tell us Suzie - what is all this about tea-bag folding?
Perhaps lucet braid is something for re-enactment?
..
In article , Quidnunc
writes

Old October 10th 04, 04:58 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

Roberta Zollner wrote:

So what's a lucet braid? Or is this something normal person already knows?
(Wish I could go to the show!) And teabag folding???? You need a class for
that? Only in England ;-)
Roberta in D

A lucet, which is a forked wooden tool, is used to make square braid,
dating back to Viking times.
http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/lucet/
gives a good idea of how it works - altho the way I work does seem to be
the other way around as I work off the right fork! It does say,
somewhere near the bottom of the page, that these pics are or a
left-hander, and I'm right-handed, so that prolly explains it...

Its quite simple to do, but my particular lucet is slightly different to
the one pictured, and sometimes my loops slip off, and I drop stitches,
so it was good to take a class with an expert to learn what to do... now
I know much more and can carry on making braid!

I want to use it as drawstrings for some bags I want to make (bags are
SO useful in re-enactment for hiding all sorts of modern crap!) and also
for embellishment on a jacket I want to make... but for now its just
good to be able to sit by the fire and fiddle with wool and be
productive (and vaguely authentic!)

As for teabag folding - see my answer to JJ...

Suzie B

Old October 10th 04, 07:22 PM
Krysia Thompson

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:12:09 +0100, "Quidnunc"
. wrote:

Yes, this puzzled me. I never fold my tea bags before throwing them away
(what a slut I am!) - but I do squeeze them cruelly with the back of the
spoon.
I've got a lot to learn.
JJ - also ignorant of lucet making. Mess-making is my forte.

come on JJ...you squeeze yer tea bags......anyhow, tea bag
folding (think army drill!) is big...so big, you can get tea bag
papers specially for folding....or so I ha been told

Krysia, cold and thirsty
K.T. - starannie opakowana

Show Report Gwacie Beads 3 January 18th 05 06:21 AM
Followup to day at the jewelry trade show Bungadora Beads 2 June 15th 04 04:19 AM
Carol Duvall Show - pass the word Nancy Handy Rubberstamps 6 March 5th 04 04:59 AM
A TNNA Show Visit to Long Beach, CA Lula Needlework 1 February 6th 04 12:39 PM
Air Show Steve & Susan Wright Beads 0 July 18th 03 01:49 PM