first fleece quilt, no batting

Old August 26th 04, 07:54 AM
Irrational Number

Default first fleece quilt, no batting

I just made my first fleece quilt with
no batting. It's great! It feels
wonderful, not as light as I thought
and it drapes very well. This is a
charity quilt, so I won't keep it for
long, but I'm very happy with it. Now
I can use up my fleece stash! A
cool feature is that you can trim the
edges after making the mock binding.

-- Anita --

Old August 26th 04, 02:39 PM
Susan Laity Price

By "fleece quilt" do you mean that the entire quilt is fleece or did
you use fleece for the backing" If you used fleece for the backing
what do you mean by mock binding.?

My friend with a long arm machine didn't think fleece would work well
with her machine but tried one herself and loves it. She said she is
never piecing a baby gift again. She put two pieces of fleece in the
machine and did an all over design with a sraight stitch about two
inches from each side. She then fringed the ends.

I would like to hear from people using fleece for their backing with
pieced cotton tops. Any tips?

Susan

Old August 26th 04, 03:22 PM
Maine-iac Rose

"Susan Laity Price" wrote in message

I would like to hear from people using fleece for their backing with
pieced cotton tops. Any tips?

Susan

Sorry I haven't done that, but I have seen it done on some show, for the
life of me, I can not remember the show, but she made a cotton quilt top,
then instead of the backing and batting, it was just fleece. Another thing
she did, was to use cotton flannel for the back, again with no batting, a
nice summer quilt as she put it. I have yet to try that myself.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns to email me

Old August 26th 04, 04:57 PM
Marlys in Indiana

I think it was Sewing with Nancy. I remember her doing the fleece backed
cotton quilt. I'm not sure if she is the same one that did the flannel
backing.
Marlys in Indiana

Old August 26th 04, 07:39 PM
Denise G.

I would like to hear from people using
fleece for their backing with pieced
cotton tops. Any tips? Susan

I've done it twice and it was a nightmare!!
When I did 'stitch in the ditch' following the shapes on the pieced
side, the fleece bogged down into the pressure foot, left tons of lint
everywhere and was a total pain in the backside. The fleece I used was
a berber polar fleece, so now I know that it was too thick. The quilts
eventually got done, but it took lots of strong arming to get the quilt
to feed through the machine.

I've also done it with a thinner fleece that was of questionable quality
and it pilled like crazy when I tried to quilt it. By the time it was
done, it had fuzzy little balls everywhere which ruined the look.

I've used a more expensive thin fleece with good results.

I am again making a quilt with berber fleece backing, but this one will
be tied, not quilted. I'm the director of a food pantry and have had
the pleasure of working all summer with a nine year old boy from my
church. He is just incredible and works harder than all of the adult
volunteers who work for me put together. He stocks shelves, waits on
clients, unloads my car and this week, when he could have been getting
ready to leave, he was restocking the shelves. When I asked him what he
was doing, he said, "I just figured if I filled up the shelves now,
there would be less for you to do next week when you get in." In 15
years of working here, I have never had an adult restock shelves before
they've left for the day. Anyways, this kid is great, and the quilt I'm
currently working on is for him as a thank you. His baseball team just
won the NH championships for his age group (first time ever for our
town) and I found a perfect baseball material,white baseballs, red
stitching on a dark grayish-black background. The rest of the material
is solid bright red and solid black in a HST pattern that sort of forms
baseball diamonds. I also found black berber polar fleece with white
baseballs on it for the backing.

No more trying to quilt polar fleece for me. This one will get birthed
and tied.

Denise in NH
My quilt guild:
www.amoskeagqg.org

Old August 26th 04, 10:01 PM
Kathy in CA

I made a lap quilt and used fleece backing--no batting. I only did sitd,
nothing fancy. Came out great!
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

link.net...

Old August 27th 04, 07:14 AM
Irrational Number

I made a cotton pieced top (6 x 6 squares)
and backed it with fleece. I cut the fleece
about one inch bigger than the top all around
and turned it over (like a mock binding) and
stitched it. It actually worked well, but
there definitely was more friction during
the stitching.

-- Anita --

Old August 27th 04, 07:09 PM
Pati Cook

I love using fleece for backing/batting pieced quilts. I don't have any
problems with it. I do spray baste, but it is wonderful. Fast and easy.
You don't have to do a whole lot of quilting if you don't want to, and
because it is 58-60" wide you don't have to do a lot of piecing of the
back for throws and such. If you do need to piece the back use the
diagonal seam method. (John Flynn has a good explanation with pictures
on his site.)
As long as you have it basted well, and sew with the fleece on the bottom
you shouldn't have any stretching problems.
I usually bind with regular cotton fabric, but you could bind with fleece
if you want a "piped" edge look. (I don't like the seam in the binding,
it is a little bulky. ) Or pink/scallop cut the edge and turn it to the
front and topstitch it down. (trim and miter the corner carefully to
reduce bulk there.) May try that on one of the upcoming quilts that has
a fleece back planned.
At times, many times G, fleece is a lot less expensive than buy batting
and backing fabric for a quick quilt, or kid's quilt.

Pati, in Phx. (Here a fleece backing works real well for even the
coldest nights/days)