washing new fabric

Old October 9th 04, 05:01 PM
Judy W

Default washing new fabric

I read to clip the corners of new fabric to help keep it from fraying, Does
this work? Or is there a better way?
Judy

Old October 9th 04, 05:05 PM
maryd

IMO the best way is to stitch across the cut ends with a serger or zigzag
stitch.

--
Mary
ink.net...

Old October 9th 04, 05:13 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 16:01:36 GMT, "Judy W"
wrote:

I read to clip the corners of new fabric to help keep it from fraying, Does
this work? Or is there a better way?
Judy

I did an experiment one time - I clipped the corners of 4 flannel
fat quarters and didn't clip the corners of 4 flannel fat quarters. I
washed them all together. There was no difference between the 2
groups, in the amount of fraying.
Now some folks swear by clipping. Others swear by serging around
the edges of fabric before washing. I don't clip now, and I don't own
a serger. Why don't you try an experiment, like I did, and see what
you think?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 9th 04, 05:26 PM
Judy W

I don't own a serger either but I think I'm going to try the zig zag stitch
across the corners. Since clipping the corners did not make a difference.
When I washed the flannel I'm using for my first quilt I had lots of
fraying, and I have to try and stop that.
I went to Joanne's this morning and spent some money for my next quilt. I'm
going to do something small for my wall in my sewing room In the Blues and
Yellows. I am hooked....
My DH and I moved my table into my sewing room last night, I got tired of
running back and forth between rooms. And this way there's only a mess in
one room.
Judy

Old October 9th 04, 05:47 PM
frood

I found that the clipping corners method didn't work often enough for me to
mess with it. I have found that for large (over a yard) lengths of fabric, I
open it out flat, then accordian fold it, about 12" wide ( /\/\/\/\ ), then
pin the selvedge edges. Toss this in the washer and dryer, and it doesn't
twist and wrinkle as much.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

ink.net...

Old October 9th 04, 06:01 PM
Pauline O'Connell

I don't pre-wash much, except for batiks, but when I was pre-washing, I did
clip the corners & I thought it cut down on the thread nest quite a bit.
(Maybe that was the power of positive thinking

Pauline
ink.net...

Old October 9th 04, 06:04 PM
Jeri

Judy W wrote:
I read to clip the corners of new fabric to help keep it from
fraying, Does this work? Or is there a better way?
Judy

I used to but now I just use the gentle cycle.

Old October 9th 04, 06:20 PM
Becky

I have found that it does make quite a difference, but only on full yardage,
n ot on fat quarters, because there is only one selvedge edge on a fat
quarter, I think.

Becky

ink.net...

Old October 9th 04, 06:36 PM
Sandy Foster

In article . net,
"Judy W" wrote:

I read to clip the corners of new fabric to help keep it from fraying, Does
this work? Or is there a better way?
Judy

I tried that method, Judy -- it didn't do anything for me. If you're
washing small pieces (like FQs), putting them into a lingerie bag helps,
but larger pieces either have to be zigzagged or serged or something --
or you just put up with the fraying, as I do. ;S
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old October 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Judy W

You know....I was just thinking. Why would I bother with washing my material
when I'm making something to put on the wall? I wouldn't have to, would I?
Brain damage from all the meds. I take. :-)