OT Am I in trouble?

Old December 29th 08, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT Am I in trouble?

My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.
It's not something that will kill me but I'm wondering if this is a sign
of computer things going goofy and I need to get a tech to look at it before
it something really critical goes out.
I have defragged which is about as technical as I can get. My computer
is about 90% empty so it's not like I need to do some housecleaning.
Any thoughts? Polly

Old December 29th 08, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:38:20 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.
It's not something that will kill me but I'm wondering if this is a sign
of computer things going goofy and I need to get a tech to look at it before
it something really critical goes out.
I have defragged which is about as technical as I can get. My computer
is about 90% empty so it's not like I need to do some housecleaning.
Any thoughts? Polly

I don't use OE, but I would check the refresh rate.
Especially if you had guests on your machine over the holidays, or
have had a recent update.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old December 29th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Polly Esther wrote:
My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.
It's not something that will kill me but I'm wondering if this is a sign
of computer things going goofy and I need to get a tech to look at it before
it something really critical goes out.
I have defragged which is about as technical as I can get. My computer
is about 90% empty so it's not like I need to do some housecleaning.
Any thoughts? Polly

Some default somwhere is set to go automatically to the top of the page
at a given interval? Just a thought... May be hard to cure. These
settings can be obscure.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 29th 08, 08:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

I believe that it is the cursor. Mine does this all the time, and has for
about two years. I have yet to find out what it is and I have asked my tech
guy at school and he has no idea either and he's a genius with computers.
And that is a comment from the IT department in the main building and I
agree with them. It just did it. But it is a bit interesting and different
that you go back up to the top of the posts.

I'll be doing something and all of a sudden my cursor is on the other side
of the screen or wherever it wants to go. More annoying than anything. I
would love to know how to solve it as well.

I'll have to go google again and see if I can find anything this time. I'll
let you know if I have any luck.

Steven
Alaska

Old December 29th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Fay

On Dec 29, 2:38*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
My computer is jerking. *I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.

Hey Polly!
My resident Geek says it could be a sticky key or mouse.
Soooo, turn your keyboard over and tap it sharply
on the desk a few times. Be sure to have a bucket handy for when you
see what comes out.
See if that helps at all. It might just dislodge a crumb; yes we'll
be charitable and call it a crumb.

Is your mouse an optical mouse? They tend not to be sticky and are
the more common vermin out there.

Otherwise he will happily trek out to see you and the critters (all
expenses paid in advance of course) and fix it for you at no extra
charge.
Merry whatever,

Fay
(Halfway down a bottle of red after a very ling day at the Block
building the House.)
Old December 29th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_2_]

Sometimes when a computer battery is slowly dying, this can happen with the
curser.

I had it happen and I had to replace the backup battery in my computer and
it fixed the problem. Your IT techno should be able to confirm this and
replace the battery for you as it is not like replacing a torch battery.

Di

Old December 29th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:38:20 -0600, Polly Esther wrote:
My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.

Try the simple cures, first, like turning the keyboard over and banging the
crumbs out of it, and then vacuuming. Or a different keyboard or mouse.

Old December 29th 08, 10:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

Computers have a battery ?

Dee in Oz

"DiMa" wrote

Old December 29th 08, 11:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_2_]

Yes, because I couldn't describe it correctly, I found the following on
Google.

Also known as a button cell or watch battery, a coin cell battery is a
battery contained on the
computers motherboard that allows it to retain important system settings
and remember what the time and date is while the computer is off.

This is one of the things I learned when my mouse curser went haywire and I
laughed at the geek who
told me about batteries (he is in fact my BIL). Only twice in all the years
I have had a computer have
I needed to replace the battery.

Di

"Dee in Oz" wrote in message
. au...
Computers have a battery ?

Dee in Oz

"DiMa" wrote

Old December 29th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_5_]

Check Microsoft for software updates, also updates for your virus and
browser software

-Irene