quilting ideas for English Paper pieced & applique quilt

Old June 28th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.

Default quilting ideas for English Paper pieced & applique quilt

I don't have suggestions on quilting but just wanted to say that it is
lovely!

--
Donna in NE La.
"Lobo" wrote in message
. ..
OK ... here's a photo. This is supposed to be a public link ... I guess
some people have not been able to get to some I've sent to them though.
I'll come up with a different way if this doesn't work.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=58f3adb7e4

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"J*" wrote in message
pix always help us with ideas.
j.

"Lobo" wrote...
I am finishing up an English paper pieced and applique quilt. I have no
trouble putting all that together, but am stumped as to how to quilt it.
I've googled and found nothing except one photo of McTavishing which
would
work well. Am wondering if anyone out there has some other ideas though.
The quilt has a Grandmother's flower garden, a fan, a fern and a fish, so
it's not typical English paper piecing throughout. Thanks.

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 28th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

"J*" wrote in message

pix always help us with ideas.
j.

"Lobo" wrote...
I am finishing up an English paper pieced and applique quilt. *I have no
trouble putting all that together, but am stumped as to how to quilt it..
I've googled and found nothing except one photo of McTavishing which would
work well. *Am wondering if anyone out there has some other ideas though.
The quilt has a Grandmother's flower garden, a fan, a fern and a fish, so
it's not typical English paper piecing throughout. *Thanks.

Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Echo quilting. Are you going to do the quilting by hand or machine?
As the border is a 'busy' pattern, you could just 1" square grid it,
say, on the diagonal.
It's lovely.
Bronnie
Old June 29th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

love the leaf in particular.
leaves are my favourite shape of all time.
no idea why that is, just is.
could be the variety of both shape and colour in the leaf world.
also very fond of hexagons at the moment.
nice work indeed.
is the leaf your own pattern?
only people who are logged into facebook would probly be able to see it.
tho i could be wrong on that.
j.

"Lobo" wrote...

Old June 29th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

I think I'll hand quilt it.
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 29th 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

Yes, I designed the leaf. The fish is a combination of several fish designs
I found.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 29th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

No, J., I saw it just fine!
..
In message , J* writes
love the leaf in particular.
leaves are my favourite shape of all time.
no idea why that is, just is.
could be the variety of both shape and colour in the leaf world.
also very fond of hexagons at the moment.
nice work indeed.
is the leaf your own pattern?
only people who are logged into facebook would probly be able to see it.
tho i could be wrong on that.
j.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old June 29th 09, 07:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I agree with Bronnie. As soon as I saw how it was arranged, I thought
echo quilt the appliqué, with gentle swirls over the background. As you
are hand quilting it, a diagonal grid would be good, too. (machine
quilting a diagonal grid would be a royal pain!! with all the stopping
and starting - that's why I thought swirls). The quilting on the
background won't show up very much on that lovely fabric, so simple is
good.
..
In message , Lobo
writes

Old June 29th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

I like the idea of sort of echo quilting the fern and the fish, but I think
the other 2 would be too static. I'm also thinking I would do the echo
quilting sort of abstractly, loose and floaty, rather than precise echoing.
That still leaves me puzzled about how to do the fan and flower.

I also lean towards something flowing because I don't want to mark the
background. It's a very light color and I don't want to risk the markings
not coming out. This is for a club challenge or I wouldn't be so picky.
Thanks. .... Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Patti" wrote in message
news
I agree with Bronnie. As soon as I saw how it was arranged, I thought echo
quilt the appliqué, with gentle swirls over the background. As you are
hand quilting it, a diagonal grid would be good, too. (machine quilting a
diagonal grid would be a royal pain!! with all the stopping and starting -
that's why I thought swirls). The quilting on the background won't show up
very much on that lovely fabric, so simple is good.
.
In message , Lobo
writes

Old June 29th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

I agree with you on that Lobo. G As for the flower.... one of the
traditional ways to quilt it would be a quarter inch inside each seam
line. So you would have smaller hexes "echoed" inside the piece.
The fan could be done similarly, perhaps emphasizing some of the parts
only. A bit of echo quilting around them would also be possible.
Lovely quilt and good luck in the challenge.

Pati, in Phx

Old June 29th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

I'm trying to stay away from the traditional as that is the expected thing,
and I always like to do the unexpected whenever possible! I can imagine
doing curvy lines outward from the center of the flower, but still am
stymied by the fan.

Lobo