Quilt Kit -- Is That Cheating?

Old January 4th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Quilt Kit -- Is That Cheating?

I am glad to hear your story Polly. I should forward it to dad. His
baby is almost 39 and still single. We have nearly given up hope for
her. My kids have plenty of time. I really don't harass them and they
are pretty free spirited and will do things in their own time anyway.

Life is fun, mostly. I have spent the last week down with some
stomach bug. Not so fun. I am dreaming of food and might be able to
eat something 'real' today.

Taria

Polly Esther wrote:
If we're going to have a contest here, I win hands down. DD#1 was married
for the 1st time at the tender age of 42. She waited until Mr. Right came
along - and along he came - with 6 grandchildren. You just never saw a
happier grandmother or Authority on child-raising. Isn't life fun? Polly

Old January 4th 09, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

DS said "WHY didn't you tell me about ehr before?"

Butterlfy (Emailed privately)

Old January 4th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

That was a great package deal!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
If we're going to have a contest here, I win hands down. DD#1 was married
for the 1st time at the tender age of 42. She waited until Mr. Right came
along - and along he came - with 6 grandchildren. You just never saw a
happier grandmother or Authority on child-raising. Isn't life fun? Polly

"Taria" wrote in message
That is too true. Call me old fashioned but things in the proper order
do make life a tad easier for all involved.
Everyone is going to have lots of stories about this wedding. That is
pretty cool. Glad someone will be making grand babies for you!
Taria

Old January 4th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I was 39, Taria!
..
In message , Taria
writes
I am glad to hear your story Polly. I should forward it to dad. His
baby is almost 39 and still single. We have nearly given up hope for
her. My kids have plenty of time. I really don't harass them and they
are pretty free spirited and will do things in their own time anyway.

Life is fun, mostly. I have spent the last week down with some
stomach bug. Not so fun. I am dreaming of food and might be able to
eat something 'real' today.

Taria

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 5th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Thanks all for your stories. They give me hope! DS is 40 and still
unmarried, his last two serious relationships went to heck and I think he is
in the twice burned, forever shy mode. My fondest hope is that he will find
some compatible lady who already has children. Just imagine, instant
grandchildren! In the meantime he is happy where he is, and I guess that's
all we can hope for in our children.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"Taria" wrote in message
Thanks for giving me hope Julia. After reading Kathyl's wedding
saga maybe I should thank the kids for being slow in the marrying-
baby making mode.
Taria

Julia in MN wrote:
Give 'em time... DS & DDIL were 29 when they told us we were going to be
grandparents. And DD was 33 & DSIL 32 when their daughter was born.

Julia in MN

Old January 5th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 4, 3:00�am, anthony wrote:
Perfectly OK. �Quilt shows are for sharing. �If it is judged or juried,
I would give credit to the pattern designer. �I personally think
crediting the quilt shop that cut the fabric is a bit much, but it's
great free advertising for them. �So why not?

Quilting is a shared art, much like dancing or music or architecture.
Like a bassoonist or a violinist, we often work with people whom we
never meet or even know their name. �A composer writes a libretto, an
artisan crafts an instrument, a conductor drives the arrangement, a
teacher teaches the skill, even the architect of the much hall has a
part in the sound. �But it is the artist playing the instrument that
brings it all together.

Likewise, a quilter is an artist playing an instrument to produce art.
Few of us do it all ourselves. �There are those who plant and harvest
the cotton, run the mills, weave the fabric, formulate the dyes, design
the prints, market the fabrics, etc., just to get it to the LQS. �Even
when I dyed my own fabric, the dyes were purchased commercially and I
didn't weave the fabric or spin the thread. �The Kaufmann PFD definitely
gave a different effect from the Ronloc, even with the same dye formula.
� Silk came out differently from cotton. �It was the choices I made as
Artist that made all the difference.

As quilters, we are not like the sole solitary sculptor chipping away at
the marble or the lonely writer stringing words together to create
emotions. �Rather, we are participatory artists channeling the work of
others to create the shared art of quiltmaking. �Share proudly!

OK, it's 4 a.m. �I think I should go back to bed....

Luv,
anthony, awake in Clearwater

Sherry wrote:
I just finished a kit purchased from an online quilt shop, that
included a Fons and Porter pattern. It was for a
child's Hungry caterpillar quilt.

I decided to hand-quilt it, since it was so small; I took a lot of
trouble to be extra careful since it is intended
for my first grandchild (who doesn't exist yet -- I am calling it my
"faith quilt"). I don't mean to pat myself
on the back or anything, but I was real pleased with the way it turned
out.

I wondered if it's okay to enter this quilt in a Quilt Show? I could
make a small card and give attribute to the Shop Owners who cut the
fabric, and F&P for the pattern, no? Really the only thing �I can
claim as my own is the
hand quilting.

It's just the cutest thing you ever saw, especially if you remember
the Hungry Caterpillar book. My daughter
was raised on that book. I bought the book on Amazon, put it with the
quilt, and just tucked it away for now.

Sherry

--

Regards,
anthony

Thanks, Anthony! That was a very thoughtful reply, a good perspective.

Sherry
Old January 5th 09, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jan 3, 11:00�am, Sunny wrote:
Sherry, you have far more faith in your daughter than I do in my sons.
I could make a mountain of quilts waiting for those two to present me
with grandchildren. BG Nonetheless, I want to see photos, including
details of your hand quilting. If I'm properly motivated, I just might
make one for my "faith chest" (stopped being "hope" many years ago)
too. Besides, my son was also raised on "Hungry Caterpillar" and it
might work some magic.

Sunny

Magic would be good, too! To be honest, they are in the middle of
those
heartbreaking fertility issues, doctors, disappointments, and more
doctors.
And not the least of my thoughts was, I wanted to make a "grandchild
quilt"
while I am still *able* to hand quilt. Who knows, maybe they'll end up
adopting, that is why I chose a toddler-sized quilt instead of a baby
quilt.
Child #2 is nearly thirty, and unmarried, but to be honest it scares
me to think of him
as a parent. :-)

Sherry
Old January 5th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

One more thought. A kit is really nothing more than having someone else
pick the fabric for your quilt. It's not much different than going into
a shop and having someone there pick out the fabric for you or using the
same fabric as pictured on the pattern. Of course, kits are seldom
one-of-a-kind, so there will be other quilts with the exact pattern and
fabric choices as your quilt.

If your Hungry Caterpillar quilt used the Hungry Caterpillar panel, its
coordinating fabrics, and the F&P pattern, it probably looks a lot like
the ones I made for my 2 youngest granddaughters. However, I designed my
own pattern and had the tops made before I got the "Love of Quilting"
magazine with the F&P pattern. There's a photo of one of the tops I made
at http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/HungryCaterpillar.JPG. The book
was one of my daughter's favorites, too. I gave her daughter a book to
go along with her quilt. The other DGD already had the book, so I bought
her a Hungry Caterpillar DVD to go with the quilt.

Julia in MN

-----------

Old January 5th 09, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Sherry: Quilt shows have guidelines and some will not accept kit quilts.
Most small local guilds will accept them. 99.9% of quilt shows have a
registration form of some sort. It has spaces for technique, size, and so
on. That is the place for you to state: "Made with a kit from the Name that
Shop, using a Fons & Porter quilt pattern. machine pieced and hand quilted
by Sherry. I chose this kit because my grown daughter loved the Hungry
Caterpillar book by Author's Name when she was a young girl."
Now, go and fret no more. PAT in VA/USA

Old January 5th 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Joanna,
Working up a published pattern is a bit different, as it involves color
selection. I do agree that Sonny's workmanship is what made the collection
of fabric an actual quilt. However, I would point out that color selection
is part of quilt making, and someone other than Sunny selected the fabric.
Nothing wrong with that, but I think it is fair to state that it was made
from a kit.

Later, PAT in VA/USA

"Joanna" wrote in message
newsZM7l.1217$Db2.736@edtnps83...
I've never entered a quilt so my two cents probably isn't even worth that.
But it doesn't matter that you bought a kit. You put it together. It is
your stitches and your quilting that holds it together. I would think the
show would have rules about this, ask them. But to me it's not different
then if you picked a pattern from a book and made it.
Take Care
Joanna

Any one wanna chat? Quilt Show, Quilt Police Free room Bronnie Quilting 2 March 31st 09 06:22 PM
Cheating anne Needlework 10 September 14th 08 12:38 AM
Anyone wanna chat -- Quilt Show room Quilt Police free Bronnie Quilting 0 March 26th 08 05:31 AM
Cheating the binding redpenner Quilting 37 September 26th 06 12:51 AM
Cheating on my beads! Jan G Beads 17 June 17th 04 02:29 PM