OT Am I in trouble?

Old December 29th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default OT Am I in trouble?

My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor/screen/something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.
It's not something that will kill me but I'm wondering if this is a sign
of computer things going goofy and I need to get a tech to look at it
before it something really critical goes out.
I have defragged which is about as technical as I can get. My computer
is about 90% empty so it's not like I need to do some housecleaning.

Check Microsoft for software updates, also updates for your virus and
browser software

I favour the dirty-keyboard theory. If there's some key that will pop
you back to the top of the post, then it can be actuated if it gets
short circuited when the switch is clogged by an accumulation of cat
fur, cigarette ash, mucus, ketchup, dandruff and hamburger grease.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old December 29th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

We've taken the computer cover off and cleaned everything - including the
keyboard, mouse and that cute little thing the mouse (wireless) communicates
with.
Found a few chocolate chips but that's about it.
I've realized since I asked you last night that the problem only exists
when I'm reading mail or news. Doesn't happen when I'm searching, shopping
or writing my memoirs. So. Therefore. ?? Polly

"IMS" wrote in message
Check Microsoft for software updates, also updates for your virus and
browser software

-Irene

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:38:20 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.
It's not something that will kill me but I'm wondering if this is a
sign
of computer things going goofy and I need to get a tech to look at it
before
it something really critical goes out.
I have defragged which is about as technical as I can get. My
computer
is about 90% empty so it's not like I need to do some housecleaning.
Any thoughts? Polly

Old December 29th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

My various machines have done this once in awhile for some time. I
always just assume I bumped a key or combination of keys to start
it up. I just close and reopen and things seem back to normal.
After Jack's terrific description of what is in a keyboard I am
thinking the whole thing pretty gross. Just mail and news here
too Polly.
Taria

Old December 29th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Common after-Christmas malady: **

On 12/28/08 9:38 PM, in article , "Polly
Esther" wrote:

My computer is jerking. I can be waaaaaaay down several threads and the
cursor / screen / something (?) will jerk back up to the top of whatever's
the most recent of the posts.
It's not something that will kill me but I'm wondering if this is a sign
of computer things going goofy and I need to get a tech to look at it before
it something really critical goes out.
I have defragged which is about as technical as I can get. My computer
is about 90% empty so it's not like I need to do some housecleaning.
Any thoughts? Polly

** Reindeer tap-dancing on your rooftop
(they get bored before they go back to the North Pole)

http://www.aquiltedlegacy.com/LizDukesReindeerQuilt.htm

Are you in trouble? well, you ARE Polly...

Any thoughts? I think it's nice to not have the wind blowing 20-50 mph
gust today, altho' it blew most of the leaves up around the
fence, making them easier to capture.
I think we had a wonderful, fun, peaceful Christmas. ;-)

Happy New Year!

R/Sandy - http://www.apple.com/imac/

Old December 29th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I haven't read the rest of the posts and someone else may suggest this, but
change your mouse battery. My cursor will jerk to the bottom rather than
the top. I changed my battery and it quit doing it.

What was really exciting is that I was working in Excel and the cursor would
just start moving from cell to cell eating everything in it's path. It was
like Pac Man.

Haven't had it happen since I did the battery change.

Cindy

Old December 29th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Santa Claus put a terrible run on the battery supply here but I'll put that
at the top of my shopping list, Cindy. I 'do' know how to change the
battery - it's just simple AA's. I wish we could have seen your cursor
pretending to be PacMan. What a picture. Polly

"teleflora" wroteI haven't read the rest of the posts and someone else may

Old December 29th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

_I_ was the picture! I'm surprised you couldn't hear me screaming. This
was work WORK. What I do to keep me in fabric. And it eats into my sewing
time, so I don't appreciate having to do it more than once!

I just had to shut Excel down and I hadn't saved in awhile, so I had to
figure out where I was and do some of it twice.

Not fun. I was MAD.

Old December 30th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_5_]

I don't know what program you are using to read email and news, but
that is what I would check for updates for. Usually 'Check for
Updates' is under the 'help' menu.

-Irene

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:54:26 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

We've taken the computer cover off and cleaned everything - including the
keyboard, mouse and that cute little thing the mouse (wireless) communicates
with.
Found a few chocolate chips but that's about it.
I've realized since I asked you last night that the problem only exists
when I'm reading mail or news. Doesn't happen when I'm searching, shopping
or writing my memoirs. So. Therefore. ?? Polly

.. .

Old December 30th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

I can't help with professional advice, but will think good thoughts at your
computer, Polly!

Your subject line made me laugh. Honestly, Polly, when have you ever been
out of trouble? You are my favorite joke teller and mischief maker!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old December 30th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

WhoooooHoooooo, thank you Carolyn. I hope everyone of you lives long enough
to turn loose. I marched in step way too many years. Polly

"Carolyn McCarty" wroteI can't help with professional advice, but will