An introduction & the jump to evenweave

Old February 26th 04, 11:27 PM
Sharon Capps

John Quinn wrote:
Welcome,

You haven't declared yourself on PEEPS. I love them hard, Children (3&5)
like them soft, DW wouldn't eat them on a bet.

I don't think you're nuts to jump in big. I'm waiting for "Enchanted
Night" from Blended Needle, I've order a small piece to see if its the
color I want for the Nativity. Talk about nuts it will be my first
project on non-aida, so I pick 36 count and dark.
John

John, I am also waiting for Enchanted Night from Blended Needle. I ordered
the whole piece for the Nativity January 4th and I can't wait till it gets
here.
Sharon in MN

Old February 27th 04, 12:15 AM
KDLark

My questions are many: Am I crazy for wanting to start on such a large
project for my first real experience on something other than aida?

Not at all. One of the first things I stitched on a non-Aida evenweave (don't
just say evenweave, or someone will point out your error) was the Angel of
Cross Stitch on black Jobelan, which is a nice fabric, but the threads are
thicker than Lugana and it's trickier to see the holes in it.. The angel took
13 months. I started it on a hoop and finished it with Q snaps, which I would
recommend if you've already used them and like them. I sent my husband out to
buy a scroll frame -- the shop owner suggested Q snaps, but I was adamant. I
should have listened to her! I stitched one project on the scroll frame and
now it's been put away out of my sight.

I don't lick floss, but only because I don't know where that floss has "been."
Instead, I have a small needlethreader. My floss has no grain. I knot when I
feel like it. I carry across when I can get away with it, particularly if I
can slide it under the stitches. Whether I use Danish or English crosses
depends on what kind of floss I'm using, but my English stitches look better
than my Danish ones. I start in the upper left hand corner. I prefer good
grammar and spelling, but spelling isn't my forte so I tend to default to words
I already know how to spell.

Katrina L.
Old February 27th 04, 01:36 AM
Raine

Rhiannon wrote in message ...
Hmmm, are you a floss licker? :-) And now you have me thinking...has
anyone on here ever tried MW or mayo ON chocolate? Oh man, that is
making me crave a Velveeta and chocolate chip sandwich!

Ahhhh, I knew I forgot at least one issue! Yes, I am a floss licker : )

As to your suggestion about mayo or MW actually *on* chocolate. . . .

::shudder::

nuff said ; )

Raine
Old February 27th 04, 01:44 AM
Raine

"explorer" wrote in message ...

Also, Hancock Fabrics (if you have them near you) has much of their
needlewoork supplies greatly reduced. They are shrinking their "craft"
section so they can add more "decor" items. I bought 2 pieces of evenweave
and 4 pieces of Irish linen (all 15x18) Monday and only spent $24.00.

There are several Hancock stores in the area - I haven't been to one
in years because they aren't that close to me. I'll have to take some
time on Saturday to check them out - that sounds like a great deal you
got!!

Raine
Old February 27th 04, 01:51 AM
Raine

John Quinn wrote in message ...
Welcome,

You haven't declared yourself on PEEPS. I love them hard, Children (3&5)
like them soft, DW wouldn't eat them on a bet.

I don't think you're nuts to jump in big. I'm waiting for "Enchanted
Night" from Blended Needle, I've order a small piece to see if its the
color I want for the Nativity. Talk about nuts it will be my first
project on non-aida, so I pick 36 count and dark.
John

Hmmmm, PEEPS. They're really, really cute. Really. However, as for
actually eating one. . . I have to say they're not my favorite thing.
Especially since I don't eat sugar. I can't imagine the sugar rush I
would have off of one of those things.

That gets me to thinking - I wonder how much faster I could stitch
hopped up on sugar? : )

And I think you are awfully brave to stitch on 36 count dark cloth for
your first non-aida piece. I've managed to avoid stitching on dark
*aida* so far : )

Raine
Old February 27th 04, 02:18 AM
Raine

"Dannielle" wrote in message ...
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

I am a scroll frame user. I have always used the split dowel scrolls, but
when I tried Q snaps, I feel in love with the idea, but not so much with the
actual frame. Then I saw Handi-Clamps and Grip-its which both use a dowel,
with a PVC clamp like a Q snap. Now, I haven't been able to purchase any of
these yet. I am looking at the Handi-Clamps, but I don't have them in my
hands yet. Another RCTNer showed me her Handi-Clamps, and yet another her
Grip-its. I haven't used either, only held and felt them!

Then there is the Stitch Away fabric mount system, which I have also only
held and felt, not used. I am hoping that my two RCTN friends who have
these three different systems will pipe up and give you their opinion of
their frames!

My switch from Aida to evenweave is one that I will never change! I only
use Aida when I want to do bookmarks, as the "heft" of the fabric keeps it a
bit stiffer for me. I could use evenweaves and starch them, back them,
etc., but not worth it for me. I love playing with Jobelean and a variety
of linens. As long as you concentrate on the thread count and not on the
fact that it isn't Aida, you'll fall in love extra fast!

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

Dannielle

Thanks for the suggestions on the different types of frames - I'll
have to check them out online. I've heard of them all, but I've never
actually seen any of them in person. Does anyone out there have any
experiences with these?

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies and encouragement - I
think I'm going shopping this weekend to pick up some fabric! I'll let
you all know how this experiment turns out : )

Raine
Old February 27th 04, 03:32 AM
Julie

"Raine" wrote in message
om...
"explorer" wrote in message

Also, Hancock Fabrics (if you have them near you) has much of their
needlewoork supplies greatly reduced. They are shrinking their "craft"
section so they can add more "decor" items. I bought 2 pieces of

evenweave
and 4 pieces of Irish linen (all 15x18) Monday and only spent $24.00.

There are several Hancock stores in the area - I haven't been to one
in years because they aren't that close to me. I'll have to take some
time on Saturday to check them out - that sounds like a great deal you
got!!

Raine

I have a Hancock store, Michaels and Jo Ann Etc. all within a half hours
drive from my home. Hancock is closest. I prefer the Michaels over JoAnn's
though because the variety of thread is much greater. Jo Anns seems to
carry not as many of the DMC colors as does Michaels at least by us.
However, Hancock .... ours is really bad in the customer service. I don't
even go in there any more. I was in there one time and one time only. Ours
is staffed by the same group of crotchety (sp?) old ladies. There are signs
about not taking the carts outside. I forgot that day and took mine with
me. One of the old ladys chased me all the way out to my car and yelled at
me. I looked at her and said " if you want the cart that badly in the
store, you take it. I am not coming back here at all anytime " .. I wasn't
deliberately taking it out, just forgot .... Geez .....

Julie
--
* remove nospam_ from the email address to reply

Old February 27th 04, 03:35 AM
Sorceress

Raine opined thusly:

Rhiannon wrote in message
Hmmm, are you a floss licker? :-) And now you have me thinking...has
anyone on here ever tried MW or mayo ON chocolate? Oh man, that is
making me crave a Velveeta and chocolate chip sandwich!

Ahhhh, I knew I forgot at least one issue! Yes, I am a floss licker : )

As to your suggestion about mayo or MW actually *on* chocolate. . . .

::shudder::

nuff said ; )

Raine

Have you answered the "does fiber have a 'grain' or 'nap'?" issue yet?

--
Regards
--Anne

Blogging to be found at http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.html

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

Soldering jump rings with glass Robin Jewelry 9 September 9th 04 04:41 AM
Review: Snapeez Jump Rings Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 22nd 04 01:44 PM
Soldering Jump Rings Raane Jewelry 10 March 16th 04 04:28 PM
Jump Ring Help! Charlie Beads 11 March 8th 04 03:56 AM
Silver jump rings? Harry Beads 18 January 27th 04 05:42 PM