Sadness in the needle craft.

Old January 9th 05, 12:19 AM
Sally Swindells

We have radiators and have a radiator thermostat fitted to each one,
so each room is individually controlled. With double glazing, cavity
wall insulation and well insulated loft, we're as snug as a bug in a
rug!

Sally

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:47:57 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

I thank you for the heads up. In sub-zero weather, I will make sure
it's up higher!

We live in a two-story and heat rises upstairs. So, if the thermostat
(which is downstairs) is 62, then the upstairs gets 65 or 67 - which is
too warm for sleeping. Neither of us likes it that warm - we have ample
coverlets and each other.

Dianne

Brenda wrote:
The volume of air trapped by the curtain is usually an insignificant
quantity compared to the volume of air in the entire room unless the
windows take up an unusually large portion of the walls. It mixes
rapidly without lowering the room temperature excessively. If the
windows are very poorly sealed, one could open the curtains only in the
direction that is receiving direct sunlight at any given time (which
around here would mean curtains on the north windows stay closed until
spring thaw) to maximize the benefit.

Dianne, have you checked the temperature around all of your plumbing?
Turning the furnace down to 58 might make it too cold in some parts of
your house--especially if it is below zero outside and/or very windy. A
salon I used to visit lowered their thermostat to the upper 50's at
night only to discover that meant the air by the thermostat was in the
50's and the pipes in the wall were MUCH colder. The salon was forced
out of business when several pipes burst during a deep sub-zero stretch.
If anything warmer than that setting feels too hot for sleeping, run a
fan in the room where you sleep since moving air will feel cooler.

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

I've often wondered about this. Curtains trap the cold air behind
them. Then in the morning, when the sun comes up, and you open them .
. . out comes all that cold air. :-)

It's like turning the temperature down at night. We turn ours down to
58. But when we turn it up, the furnace runs twice as long to get it
up to 67, and seems to have a harder time equalizing the temperature
for the first hour or so. So, I wonder just how much of a savings it
is. Wouldn't change. Would be too hot otherwise at night.

--
Brenda