dilemma - to felt or not to felt and other "altered art"

Old January 16th 12, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default dilemma - to felt or not to felt and other "altered art"

On 1/15/12 12:47 PM, Ellice K. wrote:
On 1/14/12 8:37 PM, in article , "Cheryl Isaak"
wrote:

On 1/14/12 11:07 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

*big snip*

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

If I can find the citron green one that I accidently felted in washing, I
can send it to you - if you want it.....

Ellice

YES!!!!!

Okie dokie - I think I may actually know where it is.....

Ellice

LOL - it's a miracle!!!!

Old January 16th 12, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/15/2012 4:08 PM, Joyce in RSA wrote:
On 2012/01/15 07:58 PM, Karen C in Calif wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Mind you, I go NUTS when I see someone take a book and cut out the
pages. It's A BOOK - someone could still read it. I don't think I
could bring myself to take a razor blade to a book.

Anyone else feel like this.

Cheryl

Yep. When I was working sorting books for the library book sale, one
elderly woman insisted on throwing away anything over 5 years old. A
friend and I would stay after and pull the books out of the trash
despite her. We had a phobia that she'd throw away the last existing
copy of something.

I have a phobia about throwing anything away! Not that I'm a terrible
hoarder, just that if there's any possible way of recycling or passing
on I'd rather do that.

Joyce in RSA.

I think I am with you there, Joyce. As I have got into my 70s...I HATE
to see a serving, or part of one, left in a container, jar or whatever.

DH cannot understand this. Even if it is nor enough for a meal, you can
find a use for it.

I think this is the England when I grew up. World WaR 2.The "waste not"
mentality is coming out. I don't remember being so upset about it 30
years ago

Sheena, or Joyce, do you remember the little wired "cage" like tongs?
You put all the remnants from bar soap into it, then swished it in the
hot water to do the washing up (or wash the dishes to be bilingual.)

gILL

Old January 16th 12, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

On 1/14/12 11:07 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

*big snip*

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

If I can find the citron green one that I accidently felted in washing, I
can send it to you - if you want it.....

Ellice

YES!!!!!

Okie dokie - I think I may actually know where it is.....

Ellice

LOL - it's a miracle!!!!

Too true. However, in general, it's not that I don't know where things are,
but rather if I can get to them. As DH has been doing his own version of
"puttering" that means while I tend to go thru and put things either where
they're going in the house, to be donated, or to the trash - he seems to
just make new piles... Maybe it's a guy thing. And then there's my fear of
the dust bunnies.....

Anyhow - I'm getting close to visiting the po - so I'll try to go & unbury
the felted sweater and send it with whatever else.

Ellice

Old January 16th 12, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joyce in RSA

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

I never had a "cage", but have tried to melt soap together with little
success. I do try always to get a bar thin enough to stick to the new
bar, so seldom waste any. I don't worry too much about leftover food,
as I'm pretty good at judging portions, and have a couple of dogs too!
I'm also very good at making another meal from leftovers, without it's
being too obvious.

I was helping make sandwiches once, and was scraping the butter paper
before starting a new block, when someone said "It's easy to see you
come from England!" Nuff said!
Old January 16th 12, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

been ages since I used bar soap with a few minor exceptions. But my DH
rolls his eyes to find yesterday's almost empty container half full of
water to get the last bit before recycling the bottle.

Cheryl
Old January 16th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy Spera

On 1/15/2012 10:15 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 09:36:25 -0500, Nancy
wrote:

BUT unlike you, Jim and Lucille...I don't think I would get the total
pleasure and satisfaction out of a screen. There have to be pages, some
stained, some bent whatever..that is what makes a book..a BOOK.

I thought that too until recently. I plunged and got a Kindle Touch
and have found many authors I never would have read without an e-reader.
While on vacation DB had his and never ran out of books and didn't have
to stow a box of books in the trunk. I scan the freebies and the .99
lists and while I've had a few duds, I have found authors neither the
local library nor B&N will ever carry, especially with the reduced
inventory. I've found books by authors I've read in the past who are
making books available on e-readers when no one else will publish them.
I do still read "real" books, but now they won't take over the house.

Nancy

The convenience soon outweighs the feel of paper lol I was given a
nice Newfoundland book for Xmas but it lies there unopened, now paper
just doesn't feel right ! You would find it great for the summer when
you are on the move.

Nancy I assume you know of the Gutenberg Project ? All free books and
they look for people to 'do' books for them. I love poetry and have
downloaded my faves from there, most classics are there already. When
they first started out I downloaded an old, out of print crewel
instruction manual and printed.

From the 99cent list I took "Everything is wrong with Me" and "The
Hanging Shed" - both great. I reckon I will be dead long before I
exhaust Gutenberg and the 99cent list - although I did pay for The
Rogue, Sarah Palin, Joe MaGinnis and my jaw is still down round my
ankles lolol

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

Thanks for the link. I haven't looked around much yet....got
the Kindle just before Thanksgiving and with Christmas, etc.
figured I'd do more than just scanning Amazon's offerings once all
the hubbub died down. I don't think I've paid more than $10 yet
and those were just one or two items that I would have spent more
for to get a trade paper back. Since no one else in the family
would be reading them figured I'd spend the $$.

Nancy
Old January 16th 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Hey, I'm with you on that. Recently we've been buying refill sacks for the
dishsoap, and even laundry soap - but that's because I use the Method
products, and they're available. Found that they last very well, and so
what seems expensive ends up not so.

I also cannot stand the little bits of food taking up space & making a
container to be washed. Like Joyce though, we have a dog, and he gets a lot
of left over veggies. Plus, DH has been taking his lunch, so the little
leftovers will often go in with whatever his main thing will be.

We have one friend where the husband does all the shopping. And he insists
on saving the teensiest little bits. It's pretty absurd - he'll get another
plate/bowl to save what isn't even a full serving of some veg or the like.
And of course, what usually happens is their fridge is full of all these
little containers with bits of leftovers - margarine containers, bowls with
cling film, whatever, which then don't get used and go bad. The wife has
given up - though I noticed most recently that her eye-rolling has started
to incorporate head shakes and some verbal sounds & sighs. It is pretty
silly.

Ellice

Old January 16th 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/16/12 7:57 AM, in article ,
" wrote:
*snip*

I know several people who will not consider eating leftovers,
everything is scraped into the garbage/compost container with no
attempt to put it in the fridge. This I really don't understand,
there are many things that taste far better the second time around,
stew for one.

I don't understand the totally getting rid of them - if there is some decent
amount left.

True about the 2nd time around, there are some things which I actually try
to make a day in advance so that they can continue to improve (like brisket
pot roast). We do eat leftovers, however I actually do have an aversion to
eating them the next night. So, depending on what it is, & quantity, they
may become 2 containers - one lunch for DH -who is always happy with
leftovers - and the other just in the fridge. That may get eaten by me, or
whomever - lunch, snack. But, I've seriously been freezing the leftovers of
those things that get better the 2nd time - like stews, chili, - and then it
can come out for another dinner sometime.

The other thing I've stated doing more is "repurposing" certain leftovers -
like chicken into a chicken salad. Or in winter as it is now, I end up
turning leftover meat/chicken into a pulao - essentially an Indian rice &
meat dish.

No matter, I still almost never will eat the leftovers from dinner the next
day for dinner - I'm sure it's some holdover from childhood. Or my liking
of variety & cooking.

Ellice

Old January 17th 12, 01:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/14/12 10:42 PM, in article , "Gillian Murray"
wrote:

On 1/14/2012 11:08 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:48:08 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I love books - nearly worship them. I couldn't destroy a Danielle Steele
book and I can't stand her as a writer. I suppose if I found one with
most of the pages already missing.

I guess the search for a junked sweater continues

Change to e-readers, no probs then. I am now accumulating without
totally filling my space lol

That is true,

BUT unlike you, Jim and Lucille...I don't think I would get the total
pleasure and satisfaction out of a screen. There have to be pages, some
stained, some bent whatever..that is what makes a book..a BOOK.

I'm with you on this one, Gill. For me the tactile thing is part of the
book experience. I understand the convenience of using an e-reader, but I
love the feel of different papers, and seeing typefaces, and the whole deal.

I am back into genealogy..and have barely done anything the last few
days, other than cook a meal...and pay the cleaning ladies and yard
guys. It is totally entrancing...and being a book-person, I try to
picture how all these folk spent their days, how did they travel etc.

An unknown distant family member called me early December, wanting to
know more about Jim's grandmother's side of the family. (She has been
into genealogy for very many years and knows her stuff). It has been a
blast. I talked for nearly an hour to a 96 yr old aunt yesterday, who
ended up "I remember that Grace, who was Great Aunt Fanny's child was
illegitimate. I have now discovered that Fanny (actually Emily) was
married twice.

Pretty good fun, I'd say. My cousin who emigrated to Australia - 35 years
ago, started doing genealogy a few years ago, so her sister in NY & I try to
help with information. The sister in NY, who's my surrogate big sister,
being about 10 years older than me frequently teases me about how in the
heck I remember these ancient stories from my grandmothers/ I suspect it's
that as the youngest girl grandchild on our shared side I did it to gain any
kind of favor. Who knows. I do rmember learning from my other grandmother
about "Tante Rosie" -her aunt - who always had a little bit of change to
give them for a treat - and how my grandmother couldn't figure out why Tante
Rosie always was so prettily dressed, and had her own money. Then when she
got into her later teens learned that Tante Rosie was evidently a special
lady, i.e. A high priced escort, so to speak! I think I was about 11 when I
learned this.

Cheryl, you guys up in New England had fascinating lives. Most of these
are in Rhode Island, but one branch went up to Maine. I have now found a
relative, born in Illinois, of an Ill mother, and Australian father.

Interesting. DH & I are trying to figure out somethings about his family,
all of the grandparents having come from Lithuania, right around the late
1800s or very early 1900s. With my family, we know that my maternal great
grandparents all came from Russia, between 1909 & 1911. But, also that for
sure at least one set had all their documents pretty much lost in pogroms in
the old country. The paternal greats - part from Austria, and I think 1
from Russia - but not sure. It's pretty hard getting records from old Kiev,
but from Austria there is some hope as Vienna is still Vienna. My cousin is
doing well with her father's side of the family, which had been in England
for quite some time, so those records are findable.

My eyes are about crossed from being at the computer all day, and
reading these century-plus censuses.

Love it

Gill

No doubt! Glad you're having fun with it.

Ellice

Old January 17th 12, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

Gill, next time you're up, you and Rich have to talk. You have it
comparatively "easy". Rich has to cope with Jews did not take last names
until forced to by law. And Gothic script.....

"The Bird Brain" face jug - folk art by Dan Norton stermen Marketplace 0 May 23rd 09 12:19 PM
"Butterfly Dress" in "Beads Buttons and Lace/Romantic Style" both by Jennie Atkinson Roseagh Yarn 4 July 31st 07 10:00 AM
OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" ratherthan a "girl"? off kilter quilter Quilting 0 August 30th 06 02:33 AM
art with wool and felt J.M. Needlework 0 February 21st 05 11:43 PM
Felt Art Craft Els van Dam Yarn 4 August 6th 03 07:00 PM