Banned from the Garden!--very long

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 22nd 03, 12:27 PM
sunflower

Um once again - I have gone to school at two other institutions so I have
those loans as well. Also I stated that my loan exceeds $25 000.

That is a lot no matter how you slice it.

As for feeling I am 'owed' something in life - HARDLY - I worked very hard
to get to where I am - also regarding the 'intellect' question (with
scholarships) ~ I applied for every bursary I was eligible for ~
Unfortunately there isn't much out there for married mature students.

In Canada actually - There has been SIGNIFICANT problems with people paying
the loans back. They had to change the laws because of the large volume of
people claiming bankruptcy to avoid paying them.

Please ~ I pay my taxes (as does my husband) ~ I earned the RIGHT for a
higher education - and the right for a student loan.

Sarah
"Ellice" wrote in message
On 7/21/03 1:43 PM,"sunflower" posted:

What I meant is that I have to pay the loans back ~ with interest. In

Nova
Scotia, the student debt load is UNBELIEVABLE . Factor in child care

costs
which I also have to borrow. My debt load will exceed $25 000 easily.

Just to give you some perspective, $25 K Canadian isn't a particularly

large
amount for a student loan. The average in the states now is, IIRC, about

$60
K US - approximately 4 times yours. But, if you're only going thru
certificate programs at Community College, that is indeed less than a 4 or

5
year University degree. My loan debt, having graduated nearly 20 years

ago,
was more than this, and I had academic scholarships for tuition and
expenses. My DB, who is an attorney, had easily $35 K US in debt, our
friends with children in college now are looking at $25K - $75K, depending
on the kid, and scholarships, schools.

All of which I will be paying back. As well as continuing to reside in

Nova
Scotia and reinvest my earnings into my community.

Nice that you're going to pay back your loans. Not to be snide, but they
are called loans, not gifts. As in the purpose is to allow you financial
resources to make your education possible now, so that you will better

your
life, earning capacity, and pay them back.

I don't call getting help to get a loan 'assistance' really. I am

borrowing
$$ for child care and I must provide receipts. Many others in my class

are
being funded by HRDC and are not required to provide receipts for child
care - so many inflate the amount and pocket the extra.

How can you not call getting help for a loan assistance? What else do you
think it is? Doesn't the Canadian & provincial government make the loans
more easily accessible for students, and at a lower rate than a basic
personal loan from a commercial bank would be? Are you loans backed,
guaranteed by the government, so that if you were to default the lender
isn't out the money? Generally speaking, a person in your situation, with
only a part-time job, not a lot of assets - as presumably your mini-home

is
mortgaged - would have a difficult time getting a loan. So, being able to
get a student loan, which are generally under different requirements than
other loans is indeed assistance - by most people's definitions.

I have to pay everything back - and I got it all on my own. The

Government
isn't really doing me a favor- they're making a ton of money off my

interest

The interest off your total loan package - which according to you pays

back
at $25 K, presumably including interest, is hardly a "ton of money" . The
government is doing what it should, in helping you to be able to acquire
more education. Evidently you're one of those people that feels you're

owed
something in life - or at least that is how you're portraying yourself.
What's the big deal about paying it back? That's what people do with

loans.
Too bad you weren't more gifted intellectually, or athletically, or
artistically - then perhaps some school would've gifted you part of your
education. But, few people get those gifts, and so the rest, even people
with scholarships, take out loans. Most people appreciate that fact.

ellice
Sarah

a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
Hellooo! Anyone remember me? (long...epic-ly long ;o) Kyla Beads 16 May 23rd 04 10:28 PM
THIS THURSDAY 4/22 - Long Island Pen Club Meeting Nancy Handy Rubberstamps 1 April 24th 04 07:37 AM
AD: Millenium Garden Workshops Stephen Polymer Clay 0 August 16th 03 03:33 AM