OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

Old May 9th 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

Default OT Humour - Written & Spoken English

http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/k/k0048700.html
whats to snicker about?
i say it ca(as in cat)key too.

and this is quilt related...
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/b/b0077500.html
i say it as they do here tho never knew why, just sounded european to me so
i added the soft j sound.
oh you can listen to words here as well as the country origin, etc.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"CATS" wrote...
I have heard Aussies say either car-key or ca-key (like cat
without the "t")
So which one are you snickering at ladies lol
--
Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old May 9th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Sam Houston: from Virginia to Tennessee.
But he got to Texas as soon as he could.

R/Sandy --
http://www.texasbob.com/travel/tbt_quilts_houston.html

On 5/8/07 12:49 PM, in article CK20i.1237$LJ3.892@trnddc02, "klh in VA"
wrote:

Houston ....
in georgia (state of, usa)* pronounced houseton
in texas,* (no comment on) pronounced hueston

klh in va

Old May 9th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
rusty rusty is offline
Junior Member

On 8 May, 18:39, "CATS" wrote:
I have heard Aussies say either car-key or ca-key (like cat
without the "t")

So which one are you snickering at ladies * * *lol

Hi Cheryl -- According to my DSIL, it's car-key
rusty

Old May 9th 07, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Yes - I agree. I grew up with a Dad who always described
hid Army uniforms as car-key green.

And ca-ckie is what we called yuckie things when we were
kids rofl

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) and ( Y )
Boofhead Donut Rasputin
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Dee in Oz" wrote in message
oups.com...
: Of course it is...LOL ca-key means awful
:
: Dee in Oz
:
: On May 9, 2:40 pm, rusty wrote:
:

Old May 9th 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 7 May 2007 11:14:09 +1000, "CATS" wrote:

*snip*

The one English name that always had me bemused was the
terribly upper crust name of "St John". How that ever
became "Sinjun" in an environment that imposes such a
stylised and demanding pronunciation system had me beat
until I was told it was derived from the Norman/French
pronunciation - hence the "slurring" of the Saint. But I
have never heard it in relation to place names like "St
John's Wood".

I remember reading that Australia represented a language
anomaly in that it represented a vast area with only minimal
language variation. You can travel thousands of miles here
and not hear a change of accent.

*snip*

That is how Sinclair came about - from St. Clair. So that's two
examples.
As for travelling hundreds of miles and not hearing an accent
change, Russia is similar. There are very few true accent
differences. I often wondered if 70 years of Communist education was
the reason - on any given day, every school in that vast
continent-stretching country was on the same page of the same book.
That sort of thing. But then I read that it was true, that there were
very few accent differences before the beginning of Communism as well.
Very interesting.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 9th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 08 May 2007 17:49:22 GMT, klh in VA
wrote:

Houston ....
in georgia (state of, usa) pronounced houseton
in texas, (no comment on) pronounced hueston

klh in va

The original one, in Scotland, is pronounced hoo-stun. Whenever
Houston TX comes up in the news here, the Scots newsreaders pronounce
that one Hoo-stun as well. Since they do have lists encouraging
correct regional pronunciation at the BBC, I always wonder if they're
just having a laugh....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old May 9th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

I've got a place name oddity for you from Texas. The name is spelled
"Bexar".... probably named for some long ago settler. It's pronounced
exactly the same as "bare" as in "Oh my, the baby's run outside bare
again."

I learned the correct pronunciation the hard way. I was a disc jockey
for a tiney FM radio station when I was in college. We played "easy
listening" music. I read the news and weather on the hour and half
hour. Bexar county was one of the ones that always led the list of
neighboring counties with tornado alerts. Of course, I said it wrong
the first time I read it on the air, mangling the name by trying to
get that "x" in there somewhere. Within minutes the phone began to
ring. Oh my, who knew we had that many listeners? And so many from
Bexar County??

Sunny

Old May 9th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

If any of you are from rural Texas you'll recognize these:

corner -- prounounced "co'ner" -- keeping the long o but dropping the

rinse -- pronounced "wrench"

that there -- pronounced "at air" -- as in "at air old truck is on his
last legs."

There are millions more. I had a professor in college (Baylor
University) who was writing a book on Texasisms. I don't know if he
finished it or not. I suspect it could be an open-ended volume.

Sunny

Old May 9th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

I for one want our diphthongs back! Who took them and where did they
go??? BEG I say we begin a "Get Back the Diphthong" movement. It
could go far.

Sunny