Newbie: Info on Quilt Challenge

Old November 6th 05, 05:42 PM
PinkLady

Default Newbie: Info on Quilt Challenge

Hi All -
Been lurking on this group for a couple of months and finally decided to
show myself. I'm a member of our hospital auxiliary (a "Pink Lady") and
would like to have some info on setting up a Quilt Challenge. The quilt is
to be raffled and the proceeds go to buy something extra special for the
hospital.

I don't even know if I know anything about this, but what I think I know is:
determine the size of the quilt and quilt blocks- queen size with 12"
blocks; figure out how much fabric is in the whole quilt - no clue how to do
that; get about 30 people to buy a block - no clue if that's right or how
much to charge; get some people together to put the quilt blocks together
and put on borders - easier said than done I think; find someone to quilt
it! I would like to put something on the back with the names of the ladies
that made each block.

Is there a book that explains how to do all of this? I know some quilting
guilds do this, but we live in a really small valley and most of us can't
drive 50 or 60 miles to attend meetings. Any and all information will be
appreciated.

Thanks -
Pink Lady

Old November 6th 05, 07:14 PM
Kate G.

We did a raffle quilt for my guild... but it wasn't a "challenge" -- just a
group project. The way we did it, is we took group funds (you could do a
special collection for raffle quilt fabrics if your guild budget is too
small). Then a committee gathered together to determine the design of the
quilt, when shopping, bought all the fabric and then prepared block kits.
We cut the fabric into strips or blocks, prepared printed directions, and
packaged them up in ziploc baggies. Each block kit was numbered (matched to
the overall quilt design) and then we did a sign-out sheet for guild members
to take one or more block kits home, and return at the next meeting with the
blocks completed (or uncompleted to be passed to someone else who could do
them quickly -- no "evil eyes" unless they returned nothing. We had (out of
45 - 50 kits) only 2 not returned on the due date! (and one of those was
the guild president... shame, shame!)

Then we divided up the finished blocks and each raffle committee person took
a few and took them home to inspect them for accuracy and size -- and that
member was responsible for reworking the block if needed. Very few needed
to be redone!

Then we had a couple of "sew-in" days where a few members got together to
begin the actual assembly of the blocks into the quilt top. It took I think
only 2 or 3 sew-ins before the top was completed. One of our long-arm
quilting guild members had volunteered to quilt it and another volunteered
to do the binding and another to do the label. All in all.... the finished
quilt was completed (from design to label) in less than 3 months -- with no
one person feeling overwhelmed with the work or responsibility.

We chose only to list the guild name on the label -- although the
participants were recognized in our newsletter and at the meeting where the
quilt was shown. I was chair of the whole committee -- and was more than
pleased with how smoothly the entire process went... and I think our quilt
(the first raffle quilt the guild had made) turned out wonderful!

Have fun!

Kate in MI

PS -- email privately if you have questions!

Old November 6th 05, 10:15 PM
PinkLady

Thanks, Kate, so much for your information. Guess I don't know exactly what
a "challenge" is. My idea was to have people make a block in any design
they wanted to, but using the same fabrics and making each the same size.
Is there another way to do this? I'm really a dunce about this.

Old November 6th 05, 11:51 PM
Kate G.

In my opinion (and I'm sure that many others will pipe in), for a fun
sampler that would work. But for a fund-raising quilt-- you want to be sure
to have a really cohesive design - one that appeals to many people and that
they are willing to shell out a few $$$ to take a chance on winning. I
think if you wanted to pick out a variety of blocks (you have already
"designed" the quilt) and have people take that block by name and required
dimension and make it-- that could work. I also think providing at least a
few of the fabrics to be used is important to get that cohesive look. I
have been amazed at various swaps that ask for pastels (and you get
flourescent pink) or for 30's fabrics and you get 1800's repro fabrics.
Color preference and style various so much from person to person (which is
why there are so many beautiful quilts out there) but when you are trying to
pull them all together for a quilt that you want to sell for BIG BUCKS -- it
really needs to work. One alternative might be to do some type of scrappy
design -- where you would still need some color specifications but could
have more flexibility.

My fear in a product and process like this -- is getting it back in a way
that you can be sure to use everybody's work. When one or two blocks just
don't work -- it can really create big resentments. Setting up the process
to maximize participation while minimizing the potential problems.. is worth
the time up front in organizing, planning and prepping...

That's my 2 cents...

Kate in MI

PS -- a challenge is usually a "contest" where individuals or groups create
blocks or mini-quilts that are judged for a prize. Usually they take them
back home with them -- although I have seen them made into a quilt. One
fun one was "funky house blocks" (10") that were then made into a quilt for
raffle. The uniqueness of each block is what made the quilt. Colors were
from across the board. We did a "triple row" sashing with off-white
sandwiching a multi-colored fabric (with 9 patch corner squares) that pulled
it all together. It was really a fun quilt!

newsgvbf.3032$vC6.420@trnddc05...

Old November 7th 05, 12:33 AM
Susan Laity Price

Please contact me privately by email. My posting address is current. I
might be able to help you with this project. My mother was a "Pink
Lady" for 25 years. It would be an honor to do this honoring her. She
turned 90 this year and has decided that she is not much help at the
hospital anymore. It is sad to find her home on Friday mornings.

Susan

Old November 7th 05, 01:43 AM
Pat in Virginia

Default OT those wonderful volunteers Newbie: Info on Quilt Challenge

Susan:
My lovely mother was a hospital volunteer for about 15-20 years.
I can't remember what the group was called, but it was not Pink
Ladies. I think Mercy Hospital Auxiliary. (So clever. G)
Anyhow, she loved it. Knowing how kind and considerate she always
was, I am sure she brought comfort to worried families. I too
felt sad when she wasn't able to participate anymore. Hugs to
you, and to your mother.
PAT in VA/USA

wrote:

Hi All -
Been lurking on this group for a couple of months and finally decided to
show myself. I'm a member of our hospital auxiliary (a "Pink Lady") and
would like to have some info on setting up a Quilt Challenge. The quilt is
to be raffled and the proceeds go to buy something extra special for the
hospital.

.....cut...
Old November 7th 05, 02:09 PM
PinkLady

Thanks for all your kind words about volunteers. Our little hospital is the
Kern Valley Healthcare District, adding Auxiliary to that makes a very long
name. Our ladies wear white pants and pink smocks - so everyone calls the
"Pink Ladies". It is an honor and a privilege to volunteer. I've only been
here for 8 years, but others have many, many more and are still doing a
great job well into their 80s. Kudos to your mother.

Since all of us care so much for our hospital and it's patients, we're
always trying to think of new ways to make money and call attention to the
work we do. Not sure I can get this quilt off the ground, but I'm sure
gonna try. Thanks for your help.

wrote:

Hi All -
Been lurking on this group for a couple of months and finally decided to
show myself. I'm a member of our hospital auxiliary (a "Pink Lady") and
would like to have some info on setting up a Quilt Challenge. The quilt
is to be raffled and the proceeds go to buy something extra special for
the hospital.

....cut...

Old November 7th 05, 03:48 PM
Butterfly

Can I be so nosy as to ask "where" this Kern Valley is located (what
state)?

Butterfly (B'splat, CA)

Old November 7th 05, 05:36 PM
Julia in MN

I go to quilting retreats at a nearby Bible camp. Last year the quilters
who go to the retreats made a quilt for the camp's annual quilt auction.
They asked each of the quilters who wanted to participate to make a
quilt using blue and yellow fabrics -- anything they had, any block they
wanted in any size they wanted. One of the expert quilters gathered all
the blocks and put them together and had them quilted. We actually had
enough for 2 queen size quilts that brought quite a bit of money at the
auction. Of course, you could make assembly of the quilt a lot simpler
by specifying the block size. This would not ensure that blocks were
completely consistent, but should make them close enough so that you
could fudge it or fix it with sashing. You might also want to consider
allowing two sizes that work well together -- for example, 6" and 12"
blocks (finished size) or require that the block size be a factor of 12,
so 3", 4", 6", and 12" blocks could be used.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/