Help! Turning belt right side out

Old March 26th 05, 04:50 AM
TammyM

Default Help! Turning belt right side out

I haven't sewed in ages. I'm making a simple vest (waistcoat, if'n you're
from the UK), with back ties. I just stitched the ties, and the
instructions say to turn right side out. I seem to remember there's a
trick for this, and possibly even a special tool. I ain't got the tool,
so can anyone tell me the trick? Other than employing tinier fingers than
mine, that is! I'm getting nowhere other than frustrated right now...

But it's nice to be sewing again :-)

Tia,
Tammy
Old March 26th 05, 05:19 AM
Doreen

Tammy,

One way is to use your fingers to manipulate the closed end of the tie a
short distance (1/2 inch or so) back into itself, then insert the end of
a piece of dowel rod into that little pocket and gradually worked the
unturned tube down the rod.

Sorry if this isn't a clear explanation...one of those things that's
easier to do than to describe!

Oh, and if you can, gently press the long seam of the ties open with the
tip of your iron before turning them. This will make it much easier to
press the ties once they're right side out.

Doreen in Alabama

Old March 26th 05, 06:26 AM
TammyM

Hi, Doreen,

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. But tomorrow, my eyes are
practically crossed tonight. It's been so long since I sewed that I
forgot how to wind the bobbin -- had to get the instrux out (which,
fortunately, were right at hand.) Also forgot how to sew a dart. Geez.
Between needlepoint, knitting, sewing and life in general, I have more
hobbies than time :-)

Will let you know if I manage to turn my belt ties.

Thanks again,
Tammy in Sacramento, California

:

Old March 26th 05, 06:50 AM
BEI Design

"Doreen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tammy,

One way is to use your fingers to manipulate the closed end of the
tie a short distance (1/2 inch or so) back into itself, then insert
the end of a piece of dowel rod into that little pocket and
gradually worked the unturned tube down the rod.

And, if a dowel of the proper size is not readily available, you can
use a knitting needle (put the blunt end in first or you risk poking
through the fabric). Or, depending on the size of the tube/belt, a
wooden ruler works well. And I second Doreen, press the seam open
*before* you turn the belt.

--
Beverly
delete nospam and .invalid to reply

Old March 26th 05, 06:54 AM
Doreen

You'll do fine. Sewing is like, as they say, riding a bicycle. It will
all come back to you.

Now the time problem...I do wish you could find a solution, for all of us!

Doreen

Old March 26th 05, 07:06 AM
Kate Dicey

TammyM wrote:

I haven't sewed in ages. I'm making a simple vest (waistcoat, if'n you're
from the UK), with back ties. I just stitched the ties, and the
instructions say to turn right side out. I seem to remember there's a
trick for this, and possibly even a special tool. I ain't got the tool,
so can anyone tell me the trick? Other than employing tinier fingers than
mine, that is! I'm getting nowhere other than frustrated right now...

But it's nice to be sewing again :-)

Tia,
Tammy

Blunt end of a pencil: Turn the first cm or so, insert the pencil, and
just thread it through, pushing the fabric the right way out.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old March 26th 05, 07:19 AM
Doreen

BEI Design wrote:

And, if a dowel of the proper size is not readily available, you can
use a knitting needle (put the blunt end in first or you risk poking
through the fabric). Or, depending on the size of the tube/belt, a
wooden ruler works well. And I second Doreen, press the seam open
*before* you turn the belt.

Ahhh! I was trying to come up with an alternative to the dowel, and
only after posting remembered that I used to use a chop stick! But had
never thought of a knitting needle...that's a great idea.

Doreen

Old March 26th 05, 09:33 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

Use a safety pin

In article , TammyM of University of
California, Davis uttered

I haven't sewed in ages. I'm making a simple vest (waistcoat, if'n you're
from the UK), with back ties. I just stitched the ties, and the
instructions say to turn right side out. I seem to remember there's a
trick for this, and possibly even a special tool. I ain't got the tool,
so can anyone tell me the trick? Other than employing tinier fingers than
mine, that is! I'm getting nowhere other than frustrated right now...

But it's nice to be sewing again :-)

Tia,
Tammy

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old March 26th 05, 03:49 PM
TammyM

Thanks to you all. So many methods!

I know I would have forgotten to press the seams first. Great tip.

Winding the bobbin was cake compared to my next task: threading the
serger! It sits there looking like a squat and hungry alien, having
collected dust lo these past few years. But I have the trusty manual, and
I have a long-nosed pair of tweezers so I think I'm up for the task.

Thanks again, knew I'd get help here. In the words of California's
governor, I'll be back. Fabric store had a sale on patterns yesterday and
I bought enough to make my sister (who has trouble buying clothes because
of her size) a full wardrobe. I also cleaned out the sewing area and
discovered that I have wonderful tools and accessories I'd forgotten all
about. Including some vintage things from my mother's and grandmother's
stashes. It's going to be a lot of fun.

TammyM
Sacramento, California
Old March 26th 05, 03:53 PM

TammyM Mar 25, 8:50 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
From: TammyM - Find messages by this author
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 04:50:07 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Help! Turning belt right side out
original | Report Abuse

I haven't sewed in ages. I'm making a simple vest (waistcoat, if'n
you're
from the UK), with back ties. I just stitched the ties, and the
instructions say to turn right side out. I seem to remember there's a
trick for this, and possibly even a special tool. I ain't got the
tool,
so can anyone tell me the trick? Other than employing tinier fingers
than
mine, that is! I'm getting nowhere other than frustrated right now...
But it's nice to be sewing again :-)
---
Teeny tiny tie method, quick and easy, no worry about poking holes
with knitting needles, works on the smalleast of ties:
Carefully trim corners with a miter cut. Double a length of
thread--the doubled thread must be longer than the tie length-- into a
hand needle, knot thread end, secure knot through the selvage on the
closed tie end, then stick needle through the tie, to the right side of
fabric, letting the needle/thread dangle out the open end of the tie.
Start pulling gently. The tie will turn right-side-out very quickly.
Cea

Looking for faceting belt linda Jewelry 4 March 24th 11 10:37 PM
SM question Debra Quilting 14 September 4th 04 01:32 PM
Important - Medication Side Effects (personal) Marisa2 Beads 9 June 13th 04 03:16 AM
Sueded Tencel - which side out? duh who Sewing 4 August 31st 03 04:19 PM
Pharmaceutical Side Effects Christina Peterson Beads 12 July 11th 03 06:25 PM