Re am i bitching

Old September 3rd 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Castle Jewellers

Default Re am i bitching

Many people call themselves "Jewellers".

In my view a "Jeweller" is just someone who sells jewellery of any type.

A seller or threaded of beads may be a jeweller on the basis that they sell
beads which is a type of jewellery.

however, the real craftsman with the real skill is the Goldsmith who makes,
repairs and sets jewellery with gemstones.

this is how i see this subject
Dave

Old September 3rd 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 08:30:22 -0700, Castle Jewellers wrote:

Many people call themselves "Jewellers".

In my view a "Jeweller" is just someone who sells jewellery of any type.

This seems more prescriptive of how you might want it to be used, not
really descriptive of how it is actually used in the world of English
speakers. The way it is used is to also allow the craftsmen you speak of
to be classified as jewelers, but a jeweler need not necessarily be a
craftsman.

Not that there is anything wrong with being prescriptive. I get really
upset with those who utilize what they could more easily use and
prioritize what they could order.

A seller or threaded of beads may be a jeweller on the basis that they
sell beads which is a type of jewellery.

I agree.

however, the real craftsman with the real skill is the Goldsmith who
makes, repairs and sets jewellery with gemstones.

Too narrow. There are some great beaders out there who can do magical
things with knots.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com

Old September 4th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

wrote:

Many people call themselves "Jewellers".

Or here in the US, jewelers.

In my view a "Jeweller" is just someone who sells jewellery of any type.

A seller or threaded of beads may be a jeweller on the basis that they sell
beads which is a type of jewellery.

however, the real craftsman with the real skill is the Goldsmith who makes,
repairs and sets jewellery with gemstones.

this is how i see this subject

Then you haven't seen the best beading work.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com/

Old September 6th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
jim redden

I'm not sure if your the same person, but this was a topic that ran thru
here awhile back. Seems you or whoever it was started this about
craftspeople/jewellers.

If a person takes a paper clip and wraps it up and sells it ad a wearable
piece of art then he/she is a jeweller, not in the same fashion as Peter
Rowe, Abrasha or the to many others here to name. I make beaded jewellery, I
make beads and fuze glass and wire wrap, So I am a jeweller, mind you by
very loose trems (VERY LOOSE)!!!!!
But I create wearable art items I hope pleases people.
And I think I do ok ( They buy it and order more and I get invites from
shows I never looked at doing.

So to you I may be a novice craft show artisan, to some I may be a great
artist ( yeah right, I have big dreams)! The thing is " I make it, I don't
catalog resell, AND I make sure anyone who buys from me is aware of a hand
crafted product! Along with most of my learning by trial and error with my
nose in a book.

Am I a Jeweller? yes in the basic sence of the term. ( drools and dreams of
being able to make something as nice as Abrasha)

Jim Redden
J.Redden Design

Soon to be a NY native again.

Beadgasms for all!

Old September 17th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Frosty

As the sun rose on Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:40:20 GMT, the distinguished
and oh so talented "breda" climbed up to the
podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and shouted in a
loud voice:

Castle Jewellers wrote:

Many people call themselves "Jewellers".

In my view a "Jeweller" is just someone who sells jewellery of any type.

A seller or threaded of beads may be a jeweller on the basis that they sell
beads which is a type of jewellery.

however, the real craftsman with the real skill is the Goldsmith who makes,
repairs and sets jewellery with gemstones.

this is how i see this subject
Dave

The thread won't die but the names are being changed to protect the
guilty!

Right on!

Frosty
Original poster of the thread and asker of the question.

Old September 17th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
minkiemink

Castle Jewellers wrote:

Many people call themselves "Jewellers".

In my view a "Jeweller" is just someone who sells jewellery of any type.

A seller or threaded of beads may be a jeweller on the basis that they sell
beads which is a type of jewellery.

however, the real craftsman with the real skill is the Goldsmith who makes,
repairs and sets jewellery with gemstones.

this is how i see this subject
Dave

The thread won't die but the names are being changed to protect the
guilty!

Right on!

Frosty
Original poster of the thread and asker of the question.

Woof! This thread hasn't seen the light of a flat screen in almost two
weeks. Please don't make me hurt someone.

If you absolutely insist on dredging this non-issue back up from the
depths of which it came, and should stay...I will state first....That
although I am perfectly safe with a pair of beading pliers, it is
likely that many beaders wouldn't know which end of a torch to
light.....

This is a jewelry thread consisting mostly of metalsmiths.(
Although, I do use a pearl or three on occasion). So...may I again
strongly recommend that you argue this in a forum more suited :
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.beads

Frosty.....this is still your fault.

- Minkie

Old September 17th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 07:52:18 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "minkiemink"
wrote:

Woof! This thread hasn't seen the light of a flat screen in almost two
weeks. Please don't make me hurt someone.

Frosty.....this is still your fault.

And I see the thread still is taking it's emotional cue from the last word in
the subject line...

:-)

peter
Old September 18th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:52:22 GMT, "minkiemink"
wrote:

Frosty.....this is still your fault.

Look more carefully. Someone named breda brought it back up and Frosty
replied.

Am I bitching? Frosty Jewelry 23 August 3rd 06 05:30 AM
Less stitching, more bitching! Calling for a national protest! [email protected] Yarn 6 March 10th 06 03:48 AM