Pricing question and critique needed...

Old July 18th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Default Pricing question and critique needed...

Hi guys,

I know I don't post here much, but I just started beading again after a
small delay due to school. I am also quite excited by some beads I
ordered and can't wait for them to arrive.

I will be going to Christmas craft fairs in November and am making some
new necklaces and stuff. I was wondering if anyone could help me with
pricing and could offer some hints or critiques. My mom will always say
what I do is wonderful, so I need some unbiased opinions!

Here is some of the work that I have done that is online:

http://calzephyr.deviantart.com/gall...der=5&limit=24

I was thinking of charging somewhere in the range of $8-15 for my
necklaces. Does that seem low? Too high? I live in Canada and saved my
receipts to figure out how much each necklace costs me. From what you
see, would you buy it? (If anyone is interested, I can part with some
of these before Christmas :-))

Thanks!
Christine

Christine Bennett ::: http://www.purple-pony.com

Old July 18th 06, 09:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
LavenderCreek

Hi Christine,

First of all I am happy that you are using lampwork beads in your
creations, but in all honesty I wouldn't buy them at any price because
you are using lampwork made in china which is very probably going to
break in the future. They don't anneal their beads and so they aren't
very sturdy at all. I would love to see you using artisan made
lampwork, which costs a bit more, but they are annealed, are not likely
to break unless they are handled roughly, dropped on a hard surface
etc. You can find some great deals on artisan lampwork on ebay.

Since these are chinese beads though, I think your price is fair. I am
not a jewelry designer so I can't really give you much feedback as far
as design or pricing goes. I just wanted to give you my honest answer
regarding the beads you are using.

Good luck with your sales!
Teresa
www.lavendercreek.de
-------------------------------

Old July 18th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sue Walker

"calzephyr" wrote in message
oups.com

http://calzephyr.deviantart.com/gall...der=5&limit=24

I was thinking of charging somewhere in the range of $8-15 for my
necklaces. Does that seem low? Too high?

Since only you know what your materials cost, and since you're
thinking of the $8-15 range, it's probably Ok. But it's such
a subjective process, really. I've been in venues where I might
charge one thing for a necklace -- and then double it for a whole
other venue -- it depends on the market, sometimes.

Also, have you checked around at what some of the local boutiques
are charging for necklaces? Or galleries? That can give you a "base"
idea of what the market will bear from stores vs. galleries.

Your necklaces are pretty. :-) If you want to sell them from your
website, you should probably include what they're made from. e.g.,
sterling? glass? crystal? artisan lampwork? etc. etc.

Good luck! HTH!

Old July 18th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

First of all I am happy that you are using lampwork beads in your
creations, but in all honesty I wouldn't buy them at any price because
you are using lampwork made in china which is very probably going to
break in the future. They don't anneal their beads and so they aren't
very sturdy at all. I would love to see you using artisan made
lampwork, which costs a bit more, but they are annealed, are not likely
to break unless they are handled roughly, dropped on a hard surface
etc. You can find some great deals on artisan lampwork on ebay.

Since these are chinese beads though, I think your price is fair. I am
not a jewelry designer so I can't really give you much feedback as far
as design or pricing goes. I just wanted to give you my honest answer
regarding the beads you are using.

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for replying :-) Your input was very helpful. I didn't know that
about beads made in China. I checked the packaging on all my beads and
it looks like the most of the ones I have are Czech glass or Mill Hill
seed beads from Japan. The lampwork ones do come from China, and I
suspect the loose ones I bought at the bead store have as well :\ I
have passed over a lot of lampwork beads in the store because they had
air bubbles in them, but I didn't know they were more prone to
breakage.

I think, quite naturally, I will progress to beads made by artisans.
What was on the link I posted is just a fraction of the necklaces I
have made :-) I see a lot that I like on eBay, that's for sure! I am
finding that the selection at the local bead shop and Michaels to be
limited and not as unique of course. I would like to learn this
technique myself. The local art college has a lampwork class, but I
don't have $400 to plunk down on it ATM (I already plunked down that
much for the Art History course I'm taking :-))

I'm glad you think that the prices are fair :-) Craft sales can be so
hit or miss - it's hard to know what people will like. For instance, my
mom does a lot of knitting, and she always tries to pick colours that
people will like, but there's always someone out there who wants brown
or orange. I can't wait until November to see how I do. This is the
first year I have included beadwork with my other crafts and photos.
Thanks for the luck!

Christine

Old July 18th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Hi Sue!

Thanks for replying :-)

Since only you know what your materials cost, and since you're
thinking of the $8-15 range, it's probably Ok. But it's such
a subjective process, really. I've been in venues where I might
charge one thing for a necklace -- and then double it for a whole
other venue -- it depends on the market, sometimes.

Yes, that is so true, it can be so hit or miss and one doesn't know
why. Last year we were at one show were a lady had some gorgeous memory
wire bracelets for $30. I don't know the source of all the beads, but
some looked like glass while others were crystal. She had a hard time
selling them. At another show, a lady had elastic bracelets with what
looked like Blue Moon Beads for $15 and sold them like hotcakes.

Also, have you checked around at what some of the local boutiques
are charging for necklaces? Or galleries? That can give you a "base"
idea of what the market will bear from stores vs. galleries.

Hmm! No, I haven't. That's a good idea. Again, it's hard sometimes at
craft sales, because there are always those people that try to haggle
you down too :-D

Your necklaces are pretty. :-) If you want to sell them from your
website, you should probably include what they're made from. e.g.,
sterling? glass? crystal? artisan lampwork? etc. etc.

Thanks :-) I feel lost in magpie-land sometimes with all the colours. I
tend to have more blue necklaces at the moment - it seems once you
start one project, you naturally collect more of the same colour. I
have many more to photograph, but I haven't been able to find the time.
I do have a shop at Etsy (http://calzephyr.etsy.com) but I haven't been
listing things to it because I'm stocking up for November. Postage
costs are horrendous in Canada, and I'm not sure people would want to
pay the extra $3-4.

That's a good idea to list the materials, I'll be sure to include that
on the sales tags. I'll probably forget by the time November rolls
around :-)

Good luck! HTH!

It certainly has Sue, thanks much!

Christine

Old July 18th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Christine -- actually the best thing for you is to quit buying your
beads at the craft store. Not only are you overpaying, but getting
poorer quality. Find a local bead store, sweetie.

I could not get to your website to see your necklaces but trust
yourself on the pricing.

Becki

Old July 18th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dr. Sooz

TOO LOW!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW!

```````````````````````````````````````

Old July 18th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dr. Sooz

Look.......I don't care what you make your necklaces out of. (Though
you really should use better materials. IMO. When the Chinese lampwork
breaks, you are NOT going to get any return customers.) Are you
stringing on tigertail, and using basemetals, as well?

When anyone sells handmade beaded necklaces for $8 - $10, the rest of
us look like we're rip-off artists. Do you understand what I mean?
The customer looks at our stuff, and not knowing beads well, will say,
"Well, why is your necklace $115, when hers is only $8?" They think
we're stealing their money.

It's bad for the jewelry business OVERALL. This isn't WalMart.

```````````````````````````````````````````

Old July 18th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Hi Becki,

Hmm! I wonder why the link doesn't work - I only have about five
pictures of jewellery, the rest of the pictures in the gallery are all
artwork, which are mostly drawings. There is a way to filter the
results, but it would be hard to explain.

Christine -- actually the best thing for you is to quit buying your
beads at the craft store. Not only are you overpaying, but getting
poorer quality. Find a local bead store, sweetie.

Ugh, you're right. I feel like I have gone about this all the wrong
way. The localest bead store to me is a Beadzu (Beadworks) and I go
there every couple of months. I have noticed that there are similar
beads to Blue Moon Beads (are they evil?) there, and that the clarity
is better. When I look at my receipts, Beadzu *is* cheaper. A string of
five big diamond beads at Michael's is $5.99, that works out to $1.20 a
bead :\, not including tax.

trust yourself on the pricing.

Thanks Becki :-) The craft sales we go to are community ones where a
table is in the $25-45 range and people are often not willing to pay a
lot for an item, unfortunately. Mom and I mostly go to them for fun - I
think we always buy more than what we sell :-) Mom only charges $15 for
her hat and scarf sets, although if she factored in the amount of a
living wage - well, no one attending these sales would pay $40 a set,
even if it is handmade.

Best,
Christine