Pricing question and critique needed...

Old August 6th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Default Pricing question and critique needed...

But magnetic clasps can't be worn near computers or by people with
pacemakers, etc. And they can attract lots of other metal. Maybe they
should be worn with the clasp in front with clusters of paper clips? :-)

Tina

wrote in message
oups.com...
My mom broke a necklace I gave her. It had a magnetic clasp and she
pulled on the wrong spots to open the clasp.

Oh man, I could totally see someone doing that by accident. Those
magnetic clasps are very cool though.

How do you break an earring?!

LOL, now I'm not sure how that could happen either without getting
stepped on or your ear caught in something. Hopefully it's easily fixed
and that you have a good visit!

Best,
Christine

Old August 6th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

I lived in Edmonton in the 70s, but am in Alaska now. Susan Burwash lives
in Edm.

Tina

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Cindy!

Hi Christine...min wage in Alberta has gone up...$7 an hour...looks like

you
are in for a raise !!

Oh my gosh, that totally passed me by! I certainly will have to give
myself a raise :-)

Where do you live? I am in Edmonton.

I livei n Calgary, but I moved here from Edmonton when I was 16, been
here for over a decade now :-)

Best,
Christine

Old August 6th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

I probably do my pricing differently from anyone else. I determine what it
would cost to replace the beads I have at the LBS (Local Bead Store), etc.
If I pay 10 cents for a SS daisy spacer, and it would cost 50 cents at
Pristine's, .50 is the replacement cost. If I got 9 beads from Brendan
Blake for $18 , the replacement cost is the $5 per bead she charges to make
beads. The gold filled lever back earrings I got a year ago from Rio Grande
for $5 cost $10 in the catalogue and at least $20 at a store. I add the
costs and add 20%. The reason I do that is because I have such poor manual
and digital dexterity (if I were any worse it would be, not below average,
but sub-normal) that I take a long time.

That's the starting point. I add for artistic merit. That's wholesale. If
I sold it to a store or gallery, that's what I'd ask for. They'd double it
for retail. I label my jewelry for retail cost, and if I sell it myself I
can the take 40% off. To me, that's fair.

Charging for time instead of per piece would mean that because Marnie is
good at wire work and I'm only adequate, it would take me longer and so I'd
get paid more for the piece. Makes no sense.

Because I base my price primarily on material (on strung pieces), it is even
more advantageous to use good materials. $3 in materials, is just not going
to fetch a good price. After all you work buying beads, putting you piece
together, and marketing it (on eBay, at a craft mart etc), paying for gas,
fees, etc, you might make $10. If you use good materials and buy
judiciously and it costs you $50, that same amount of work will earn you at
least 5 times that amount and probably more.

Beadweaving is altogether different, because the materials are less
expensive but it's very labour intensive. Frankly, I can't work efficiently
enough to get a reasonable return (can anyone), so those pieces are for
gifts only.

Tina

wrote in message
oups.com...

TOO LOW!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW!

Hi Dr. Sooz!

Ok, I hear ya (loud and clear :-D)

Here is how I arrived at the cost of the mixed Czech glass necklaces on
flexible steel cable (I think this is Tigertail? The lady at Beadzu
didn't say. I asked for something flexible and sturdy that wasn't
nylon). The findings came from Beadzu and the cable is securely
crimped.

The bag of mixed Czech glass cost $6.99; I can get three and a half
necklaces out of each bag (the necklaces are about 18" long). So
there's ~$2.30 worth of beads in each necklace. IIRC, the findings work
out to be about 50 cents each. I can't remember how much the cable cost
me, but let's assume it works out to about $1.50 as well. It takes me
an hour to make each necklace. So I factor in Alberta's minimum wage
($5.90). That works out to be $10.20 for time and materials. $15 if I
add on a little to make a profit.

But...somehow I doubt someone at a craft sale is going to pay $15 for
these. They'll just look at it and say "I could make that myself!" or
pass it up. I have heard it said that if you don't price your work at
what you value it, others won't value it...but in my heart I know the
shoppers may not value it as much as I do. I'm definitely not a
"Wal-Mart" shopper, and I have paid for artisan jewellery and other
artwork - hehe, I own a jug of a nude female torso that I paid $225 for
:-). I'm not afraid to pay the price because I appreciate the time,
work and education of the artist. But not everyone is, unfortunately,
so I have to knock off a few bucks. Don't get me started on the craft
show hagglers :-D

If you have any pricing ideas, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks,
Christine

Old August 6th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

It's so cool that things are so good with your in-laws.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote...
My in-laws are my biggest fans. My MIL is always saying she wants to
be my sales rep for the newly-retired folks in Florida. (These people
have MONEYYYYYY) I'd love it, but I can't work enough to open that
particular can of worms. Hopefully my health will get better and
better and I will someday be able to produce more -- maybe I'll even go
into remission! I would so love that. I have so many things I want to
do.