Is it enough?

Old December 17th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Default Is it enough?

I need input please. I'm quilting these baby blankets -- at least I'm
down to quilting the first one. I'm using a two-inch straight line
grid. Is that enough quilting for a little-one's quilt? Do I need to
put more stitches in? I confess that the lines are not perfect on
these. I'm trying, but a woman who is banned from driving right now
probably shouldn't be quilting, straight lines or any other. But it's
necessary and can't wait.

If anybody has thoughts about the two-inch squares please let me know.
I can go back and put a doodle in the middle of each square, I suppose.
But if it's not enough, I certainly want to meander quilt the second
one to start with.

Thanks,
Sunny

Old December 17th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

link, please!?
Tricia in TX
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Old December 17th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Tricia, it's nowhere near being ready for a link. I'll post when done.
For now it's just a baby quilt in process.

Sunny

Old December 17th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

A 2" grid should be just fine Sunny. Don't stress!!
If ever you want to do a grid, again, and you aren't happy about your
lines being straight, try doing a randomly curved grid. They look
marvellous, don't have to be parallel anywhere, and have no 'meant to
be' positions.
The lines can be placed as close or far apart as you want - just like
straight ones.
..
In message . com, Sunny
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 17th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Patti wrote:

A 2" grid should be just fine Sunny. Don't stress!!
If ever you want to do a grid, again, and you aren't happy about your
lines being straight, try doing a randomly curved grid.

I love this idea. I think I'll try it next time.
My grids are NEVER parallel and every now and
then, they are wavy. Oh well, galloping horse
and all that.

-- Anita --
Old December 17th 06, 09:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

It's enough (unless your batting specifically states the lines have to be
closer, but I doubt that's the case!) And you know what? After it's washed,
you won't be able to see small hiccups in the stitching line.
Just finished quilting a queen-size ornery monster. Started with a "grid" of
2" channels in one direction, then did the border and put on the binding
(trying to get rid of some bulk and weight). I had big plans to make 2 more
passes, one of them in a diagonal direction, but decided it looked just
great as it was. My right arm is still sore.
Roberta in D

ups.com...

Old December 17th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maloney Empire

Hi Sunny,

When I did a baby cot quilt, my foster sister showed me how to keeps the
lines straight by laying masking tape as a guide on the material.

I marked a few rows, sewed beside the tape, then pulled the tape off and
re-stuck it down. It really made it so much easier and neater. And because I
wasn't trying to keep straight (without the tape) I quilted it very quickly.

Hope this makes sense for you.

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.
ups.com...

Old December 17th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

What great suggestions. Thanks. You guys have come through for me
again. (I knew you would BG) I feel much better about this quilt.
I'll tackle the other one today. It's pieced and just needs to be
quilted. Simple, pretty much thrown together top. But the colors are
pretty and bright and I think it will work.

Thanks for the help,
Sunny

Maloney Empire wrote:
Hi Sunny,

When I did a baby cot quilt, my foster sister showed me how to keeps the
lines straight by laying masking tape as a guide on the material.

I marked a few rows, sewed beside the tape, then pulled the tape off and
re-stuck it down. It really made it so much easier and neater. And because I
wasn't trying to keep straight (without the tape) I quilted it very quickly.

Hope this makes sense for you.

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.
ups.com...

Old December 17th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Irrational Number wrote:
Patti wrote:

A 2" grid should be just fine Sunny. Don't stress!!
If ever you want to do a grid, again, and you aren't happy about your
lines being straight, try doing a randomly curved grid.

I love this idea. I think I'll try it next time.
My grids are NEVER parallel and every now and
then, they are wavy. Oh well, galloping horse
and all that.

-- Anita --

I swear by masking tape for straight lines. I use the 1/4" one but
presume all masking tape is the same and you could use just the ordinaty
stuff you use for painting etc. I put a long ruler down the line I want
to quilt along and butt the tape up to it. Then just follow the line.
You can re-use the tape two or three times.

I like it better than using one of those metal arms that fit onto the
walking foot.

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
Old December 17th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I used to do that, too, Sally; but when I saw a couple of quilts done
with the curved grid, I decided I wouldn't bother again! It really does
look nice.
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes