just curious??? (not OT)

Old November 26th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

Default just curious??? (not OT)

Is there a pattern called "Anniversary"?

I know about wedding ring, double wedding ring, contrary wife and ornery
husband, and I just saw the 'essence of yesteryear' in my new Quiltmaker
magazine, in honor of their 25th anniversary.

I'm asking because the women's club at our church has held a craft show with
a raffle for the last 24 years. Next year will be the 25th. We want the
quilt - the grand prize in the raffle - to reflect that. Because it is for
a church anniversary and not a couple... I don't want to use the wedding
ring design. We are hoping to get participation from the quilters of the
parish, so it needs to be beginner or intermediate, not a challenging
design.

As the incoming president, I have been put in charge of finding the pattern.
Tomorrow, I will be checking out the scrapbook from the church library to
look back over the quilt designs we have already used. Maybe that will
inspire an idea.

I really liked the one in Quiltmaker but I would like to have some other
choices for the ladies on Tuesday. And you are the most creative bunch of
ladies that I know and you always love to help me!!

TIA for any ideas.

--
Tricia in Texas
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Old November 26th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I can't help with a quilt pattern called "Anniversary" and I
don't have the current Quiltmaker yet, but here are a few
simple ideas we have used successfully.

http://tinyurl.com/yalmzw
This was made for a 40th birthday. J used 20 gold and 20
burgundy fabrics from my stash, and there are 40 gold
diamonds in the borders. The quilting was stipple quilted
in only the yellow areas of the quilt so there is an echo of
the design on the back. (The cat is NOT mine, his name is
Magpie!) The pattern was simple (this was J's second quilt)
and the end result was stunning.

I don't have a pic of another quilt made for a 25th
anniversary of a local community group. I started with a 6
X 6 grid of blocks, and just made the centre 3X3 blocks one
single block (like a medallion quilt). A more experienced
quilter made the centre block as a picture of the building
they meet in, and the surrounding 25 blocks were made by 25
different people, each representing a year of service. Back
then (12 years ago) we could not do photos on fabric very
well) so the blocks were pieced or appliqued. The outer
border was a zig-zag pattern of light and dark fabrics (two
fabrics for the past 25 and next 25 years) and I sized it to
have 25 points on each side and turn the corners neatly.

Designing an anniversary quilt should not be difficult. If
you want to involve people who are not experienced quilters
you can use a pattern like J's, but many can feel involved
and that they have contributed. Ask 25 people to find
strips of fabric to a specific colour scheme. It could be a
significant colour to the group, or silver for 25 years.

If you have a core group of quilters you can use them to
make major features of the quilt (such as the centre
medallion) and ask other less skilled sewers to make HSTs or
Fence Rails for borders or blocks. Ask them to make a
slightly bigger block than is needed if they are NOT
quilters as that gives scope for trimming the HSTs to fit
exactly and avoids hurt feelings when blocks cannot be used
because seams are inaccurate.

As printing photos on fabric is now relatively easy you
could even do that and ask many sewers to add borders to
each picture. However if you want to raffle the quilt and
raise funds you might be better to avoid pictures in the
quilt altogether. Perhaps save the pictures for a quilt to
be kept by the church. Is this quilt primarily to mark the
anniversary or to raise funds?

Good luck with your quilt, and don't forget to include the
story of the quilt and its design on the label to keep the
significance of the quilt alive for future generations.

I will watch with interest to see what others come up with
as there are always so many good ideas offered.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"A&T" wrote in message
nk.net...
: Is there a pattern called "Anniversary"?
:
[...]
: --

Old November 26th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kellie J. Berger

Found all these on quilters cache.... maybe they will spark some ideas.

not anniversary but...
http://www.quilterscache.com/S/SilverLaneBlock.html Silver Lane

http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TwentyFivePatchStar.html twenty five patch
star
http://www.quilterscache.com/T/Twent...tionBlock.html
variation on the same

a quick search on 25th anniversary says that in addition to silver, Iris is
the flower of choice... (never heard that b4 but sounds good to me!)
http://www.quilterscache.com/I/IrisesandLionsBlock.html

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChurchWindowsBlock.html church windows --
you could make a 5x5 quilt of these?

you could make 25 different crosses.... or 5 crosses 5 times

or these are called Memory blocks....
http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MemoryABlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MemoryBlockBlock.html
http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MemoryWreathBlock.html

hope that helps~

Kellie

nk.net...

Old November 26th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Not really there, but...
There is a pattern of 2 blocks called Tennessee Waltz, you could do that
one but call it Anniversary Waltz. (Eleanor Burns has a book on the TW)

Pati, in Phx

Old November 28th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

Thanks so much...I've printed the blocks and the ideas you both had for our
meeting tomorrow.

The quilt really is more of a fundraiser, so I had already decided photos
were out. Everybody would love to 'see' a quilt like that, but not many
people would buy a raffle ticket to 'win' a quilt like that.

Anyway, thanks again.

--
Tricia
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii
"A&T" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

not really OT..just a curious question Tracey Quilting 7 July 5th 06 01:26 AM
just curious - nations represented here... KCat Needlework 81 September 12th 05 02:38 PM
just curious m4816k Jewelry 1 May 15th 05 06:54 PM
Quilting regulations or rules as motivators - curious C & S Quilting 9 March 14th 05 06:15 PM
Curious Cat Pat P Needlework 0 February 15th 04 05:26 PM