July block 2007/2008 RCTQ BOM

Old July 4th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

Default July block 2007/2008 RCTQ BOM

Well, I've tried to needle-turn a couple of times and I've managed
points, although not sharp ones, but I've never really managed what I
felt like was a good inside corner.

What you're saying makes sense. The pattern, though is pretty much
all one piece for the rays, and then the circle gets appliqued over
that. At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. I could be
wrong. I'm going to have to puzzle over this one for a while!

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 12:30:03 +1200, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

you did one point? with needleturn and you say you NEED to learn needleturn.
ok, now i'm confuddled.

i'd think....
using the facing method with interfacing like i do or with thin fabric in
'teardrop' shapes overlapped for the sun points and top with an interfaced
circle, would work.
interface so you start with nice clean edges to stitch down, no turning
under with your needle (fiddle fiddle, ravel ravel, eeeek).
just be sure your stitches always go thru the top fabric, not the facing
fabric. works for me.
hmmmmm, actually cuz the fat end of a teardrop would be under the circle
centre you'd really only need to sew two sides of a slighty curved point
triangle interfaced, overlap the edges and top with a circle.
think'n.......yup, that should work fine and dandy.
wait a second....could also be done in sections of several points together
or the whole circles worth of points, but for me would be waste'n fabric
doin' the whole circle...i think i'd do 4 sets of 3 points or 3 sets of 4
points = 12 points (thats how many on the sun). 4 sets of 3 points is easier
to lay straight by folding/creasing the background, yup.
sorry for thinking outloud rather than think'n it thru completely then
typing what i'd do. holler of its unclear, wont be the first time i made
little sense, lol. oh dear.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old July 4th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

yup, the rays are all one piece in the pix but doesnt mean you cant
interpret the pattern to your style/abilitys. the overall look will be the
same.

having thot bout the 'full circle of rays', i'm now thinking would be better
doing individual points, overlap and stitch in place...rather than in sets
of rays, which would/could/might look a bit odd to some folks.
the more we thunk bout how to do this or any applique the easier tis to work
out what might work best.

i do know what you mean by inside points being difficult thats why i always
work out how to do a design without them. there is always a way to do that
just gotta work it out.
my outside points will nearly always be done with interfacing and careful
stitching when i attach the piece to the background. seems to work so far.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Carole-Retired and Loving It" wrote...

Old July 4th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

Well, I guess I will just have to go shopping! Thanks.

Tricia in TX
http://tricialangner.myphotoalbum.com

A&T wrote:
Life is slowing down and I think I might actually participate in
this!!!! I know, I know - I have to catch up for June. Any ideas how
much fabric I would need if I want to use all the same fabrics in all
the blocks?

Tricia in Tx

Old July 4th 07, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
CaroleD

Okay, I guess I need to learn to think "out of the box!" I may try it a
couple of different ways to see what works best for me. I agree that the
interfacing method of doing outside points seems to work pretty well!

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
yup, the rays are all one piece in the pix but doesnt mean you cant
interpret the pattern to your style/abilitys. the overall look will be the
same.

--
CaroleD - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW GA
My quilts, crafts, pets, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle/

Old July 4th 07, 10:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy[_2_]

i love your sun, Jess.
the two applique blocks look so cute side by side.
who wouldnt love wee bowties and a neat star block too, havent see it
before, nice choices.
brrrrrrrr,
jeanne
hoping once the sun is up properly, it will warm up a bit, brrrrrr
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Thanks Jeanne g
I'd send some of our temps but it's probably about the same here as
where you are at the moment :-S
dark, grey, cold and wet - you'd think it was winter but it's supposed
to be summer sigh

jess

Old July 4th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy[_2_]

On Jul 3, 11:02 pm, Carole-Retired and Loving It
wrote:
I LOVE the blocks, but I'm sure going to need some tips on how to
applique those rays around the sun! I do reasonably okay with the
outer points, but I don't understand how, when you clip to the point
to turn the inner corners, you keep from having the applique fray the
first time somebody needs to wash the quilt! (I'm doing needleturn,
by the way.) I am NOT an experienced appliquer, if there is such a
word, and this design has a lot of those inner corners. The only way
I know to make something like this secure is to machine applique with
a zig-zag stitch, and I don't want to do that on this quilt. One
other way I've tried with moderate success is machine stiching two
pieces of cloth right sides together in the shape, cutting a slit in
the bottom piece, and turning the whole thing inside out, like a
facing. Then it's hand stitched to the background. Even so, you
have to clip right up to the stitching before turning and it looks to
me like it might fray easily. Help!!!

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more -http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle

Yikes i never thought that when i "simplified" the pattern i actually
made it more complicated!
i started with 12 rays and the circle and thought that by making it 1
ray bit and the circle would make it easier (what was i thinking LOL)
anyway i have made a PDF of the origional "unsimplified" version
with all the seperate rays - that shoulld make life easier - all you
then need to do is overlap the rays so they und up showing the same
outline as the whole ray pattern you already have.

HTH

Jessamy

Old July 4th 07, 10:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy[_2_]

On Jul 4, 12:58 am, "Kay Ahr" wrote:
Oooh, good points, Carole. I think I'll do raw edge. Maybe a machine
blanket stitch or just a straight stitch and leave the edges fuzzy.

Well, y'all will need to remind me of this when I get around to doing it in
a few months (or years).

School starts Monday. I'm starting to get pleasantly excited! I will find
a way for these 4th graders to make quilt blocks. However, it will have to
relate to the Nevada standards for content.

I'll be inside napping or making quilt blocks Thursday and Friday during our
heat advisory -- temperatures around 105º.
--
Kay Ahr in NVhttp://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

Just do a bit at a time - 5 minutes a day can always be found - use
it as a treat for getting your work done for instance (always ready to
enable g)

I hope you don't melt with those temps! feel free to share some of
that with people less fortunate to have summer weather hehehe.

and good luck on Monday! (what a wierd time of year to start school -
we just started our summer break!)

Old July 4th 07, 10:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy[_2_]

LOVE your appliqué blocks, Jessamy!

This year I'm downloading all the blocks when they are announced instead of
waiting until I'm ready to do them. Quilter's Cache sometimes gets
rearranged! I eventually found them all last year!
--
Kay Ahr in NVhttp://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

Thanks Kay!

that sounds like a great plan - especially as if you do find a few
spare moments you don't ahve to start your computer up to get tha
patterns first (risking distraction and loss of time too!)

btw... can you change my website link to the new one on our websites
page? thanks ever so!

Jessamy
www.jessamythompson.com

Old July 4th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

OKAY!!! I'm headed back to your site right now to get the "original"
version. I think I might be better able to handle that. Thanks!

Old July 4th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 09:18:16 -0000, Jessamy
wrote:

I guess I'm too anxious. I went back to your website and couldn't
find this "unsimplified" version yet. I will wait patiently. LOL!

anyway i have made a PDF of the origional "unsimplified" version
with all the seperate rays - that shoulld make life easier - all you
then need to do is overlap the rays so they und up showing the same
outline as the whole ray pattern you already have.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle

June blocks RCTQ 2007/2008 BOM Jessamy Quilting 4 June 1st 07 02:17 PM
2007-2008 RCTQ BOM Dannielle Quilting 7 June 1st 07 10:44 AM
RCTQ 2006-2007 BOM - January 2007 Dannielle Quilting 13 December 26th 06 05:23 PM
2006-2007 RCTQ BOM for July Dannielle Quilting 3 June 30th 06 08:06 PM
July RCTQ Bom Block Christina in Ok Quilting 6 July 9th 05 01:46 PM