block help needed

Old May 7th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
A&T

Default block help needed

http://www.karencombs.com/quilts-1.htm#attic

Is this it? Tumbled stars a little more than half-way down the page.

Tricia in TX
http://photos.yahoo.com/momiixii

Debbi in SO CA wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was at the LQS working on the wounded warrior quilts yesterday. In the
room was this great tumbling block quilt with Ohio Stars on the blocks.
Unfortunately it was up to show the fabrics for the pickle dying class
and not for that quilt or else I would have immediately signed up for
the class. Anyone know where I can get a pattern like this?

Thank so much
Debbi in SO CA

Old May 7th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_2_]

In actuality all you need to do is draft the block. G
Draw a 60° diamond of the finished size you want. Divide each side into
thirds. Connect lines to make a 9-patch diamond.

Thinking back to art classes on perspective, you might want to not split it
even, but if you are going to be that fussy, you can't do it in a 60deg
diamond either. I would definitely draft full size to see if you can get
away with the perspective not being correct, regular tumbling blocks work
out find, but looking at the Karen Combs website, there are a couple that
jump out at me as not being cubes, namely Stars Galore and Christmas Cube,
your own tolerance level may be different, but 60deg does seem to work for
an awful lot of designs and fabric choices.
Anne

Old May 7th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Not retiring -- just not teaching high school math anymore. Back to 5th
grade, or a new teaching experience in 2nd grade.

I was teaching 5th grade when I first got involved in quilting. My 5th
graders drew and colored on muslin squares, and we put them into two comfort
quilts for kids who lost parents in 9*11. So maybe I can get students
involved in quilting again.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
Kay Ahr wrote:
Ooooh, something for a soon-to-be ex-math-teacher to do this summer!!
Wonderful!
Thank you for the link.

If you are intending to quilt when you retire you just wont have time!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old May 7th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Kay Ahr wrote:
Not retiring -- just not teaching high school math anymore. Back to 5th
grade, or a new teaching experience in 2nd grade.

I was teaching 5th grade when I first got involved in quilting. My 5th
graders drew and colored on muslin squares, and we put them into two comfort
quilts for kids who lost parents in 9*11. So maybe I can get students
involved in quilting again.

Sounds good - perhaps if someone had told me early on that there was a
reason for maths - that sums weren't just there to get me, I'd wouldn't
have been scared of them all my life! And what better reason for using
maths than quilting.

Fortunately I married someone who can do all those clever things in his
head without a calculator! (Even calculators are out to get me!)

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old May 7th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

The LQS may have the pattern for sale -- ask them! If not, they might
be able to point you to a book with the pattern -- again, ask! If
neither is true, ask if you can take a picture of the quilt, and do
that. If the pattern is not for sale and you aren't given permission
to take a picture, it might be somebody's original design the person
doesn't want distributed or copied, and you should respect that.
However, if you still want to proceed, take a very good look at it,
step outside the shop (and away from the door), and immediately sketch
it out. You can make patterns very easily if you have a photo or
sketch.

Old May 7th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Debbi

I have EQ 5 and in it there is a baby block layout and the block for
the Ohio Star.

If you know anyone that has this program they can print out the
rotary cutting, template, paper piecing, etc. for you.

Interesting quilt choice.

Hope this helps.

Kate

Old May 8th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

if ya think about it...
is there any part of the curriculum that cant be covered by some aspect of
quilting?
maths, science, social studies, history, art, music, all the language
generated, more i'm sure but cant think at the moment.
PE, hmmmm, must be a way to work that in too, lol.
how about chalking designs onto the playground and making up games to do on
those games?
i'm sure theres some way to work that out.
oh and there is a singing quilter.
i could see a whole bunch of different subject teachers doing a full
semester of quilting.
nothing better than incorporating all aspects of one subject into a full on
learning experience.
jeanne
gawd, sorry, there i went again, rambling off into my own little universe

--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Kay Ahr" wrote...

Old May 8th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marsha

On May 6, 12:41 pm, Debbi in SO CA wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was at the LQS working on the wounded warrior quilts yesterday. In the
room was this great tumbling block quilt with Ohio Stars on the blocks.
Unfortunately it was up to show the fabrics for the pickle dying class
and not for that quilt or else I would have immediately signed up for
the class. Anyone know where I can get a pattern like this?

Thank so much
Debbi in SO CA

If you do ask the quilt shop what pattern it is and they tell you.
Would you please post a reply so I can look for the pattern. Living
in Ohio I love to do different Ohio Star blocks. Of course I love
stars anyway and loved the Ohio Star when I lived in Missouri. :-)

Marsha in nw, Ohio