OT A favor

Old August 19th 03, 01:31 AM
Jalynne

I remember where i was when i heard the news...on the way to my neurology
appointment, after having had a mini stroke the week before. Needless to say, since
my hospital is an Army hospital and on base, I was turned away from the gate, even
though i was already 2 hours late for my appointment. For some reason, it didn't
matter too much, I was too sad by the senseless loss of life. I sure wish I'd had
this group and the other I belong to so that I would have not wallowed in it all.
Glad to have you now, though.

--
Jalynne

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:41:17 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

IIRC, I first started hanging around right after the WTC attack, and almost

had
second thoughts due to some of the obnoxious Christianism (as opposed to
Christianity) that was being expressed -- I wasn't sure that someone who
was
openly non-Christian would be welcome.

I remember that. I arrived at RCB just before the WTC attacks, and was
stunned
by some of the posts following the tragedy.

I'm glad I wasn't here for that. I was over in misc.kids when the Murragh
Building in Oklahoma City was bombed, and was horrified by the anti-Muslim
sentiment that was expressed. (Before it was found out that a couple of
white guys did it). I remember posting my sadness over the whole affair and
hoped that no one would jump to stupid conclusions.

Then I picked up DD at day care, held her tight, and cried my eyes out for
all the parents who weren't as lucky as I am.

9/11 wasn't a whole lot better. I was a couple of weeks away from getting my
cardiac diagnosis and was spending almost all my time sleeping, because I was
so weak. DH came in and woke me at 11:00 a.m., saying, "Hon, you have to get
up, because all Hell has broken loose."

We sat in front of the television, hoping that none of our friends were
affected, and crying over the horror of it all. My next rush of anger was at
Logan Airport, and their boneheaded "cost saving measures" that resulted in
three of the four flights hijacked coming from Boston. Security there was
(and is) a joke. For the hijackers, I feel more pity at their foolishness
than anything else, and sorrow that they feel that incinerating themselves is
the best they can hope to achieve in this lifetime.

We had a couple of close calls - my best friend's brother lost his entire
department on one of the planes - he was home sick and couldn't travel that
day. Another friend who works at the Pentagon was stuck in traffic taking
her kids to school (her husband usually drove, but he was on a business
trip), causing her to be late. Her office had taken a direct hit, and only
the traffic jam saved her life. Her ten year old daughter was traumatized for
months afterward, because she knew how close she came to losing her mother.

My heart goes out to all the innocents who were killed that day, and their
families. I still hurt for the people of NYC, whose first thought was "Oh my
God, not again" when the lights went out last week.

Kathy N-V

Old August 19th 03, 01:56 AM
Diana Curtis

RCB, its not just for breakfast anymore!
Thanks Sooz.. for your experiences with beads and this pretty neat group.
*pretty neat as in antarctica is pretty cold*
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
My start with beading is pretty typical of my age group -- I started

making and
selling love beads in the late Sixties. I can't remember why I started

doing
that -- just that I did it, and really enjoyed it. I've beaded off and

on --
mostly off -- until 1999. I've concentrated on beading (even when I

wasn't up
to actually beading something real) since then. I've learned much, much

more
in those 4 years than I have in my entire life before then!

I started reading RCB weeks before I posted -- I'd already spent a little

time
on rec.crafts.rubberstamps, just to read a bit (I don't do rubber stamps
anymore, and I didn't then). I also tried a Siberian husky NG, but those
people were awful! Sheesh! I got flamed so much I got out of there.

I'd had a nice little "home" on a message board on AOL a couple of years
earlier, til it was discontinued by the Powers That Be, and I missed that

sense
of online community. (That message board, BTW, is where I met Kevin -- my
husband.)

RCB was kind of messed up when I first got here -- not as friendly a place

at
*all*. Then the WTC disaster happened shortly after I started posting.
Upheaval, fights -- yecch. I'm not sure why I stuck around. It's a much
different place today.

I stay because I have friends here, and the common interest (beading of

all
kinds) is thoroughly and continuously fascinating and enlightening. The

OT
posting is always really, really interesting. I'm not in great health,

and
it's hard for me to make regular connections with people IRL because my
physical energies are always unreliable. So wisely or unwisely, I do rely

on
this NG much of the time for my human contact -- though I do have friends

and
contacts in my real life too.

What keeps me enthralled with the beading medium? I could write a long
paragraph about that, but I really am not sure. I could give you a bunch

of
Reasons, but they're not the whole story. I often think, when I'm bead
shopping, of our ancestors and their obvious fascination with beads -- how

they
used them for money, how they adorned themselves with them, how they held

them
in such esteem and gave them so much value. Why? I dunno. There's just
something about them.

I love beads, and so do you guys, and that binds us to each other. The OT
stuff deepens our bond (though it sends some people away). I've met some
people here IRL, and some I haven't met in person are among my closest

friends.
RCB is a thing that's really good for me, even though sometimes things

get
difficult here. But that's life. RCB is a bit more open to anyone,

worldwide,
than my real life is, so sometimes things occur here that would never

happen
IRL, and some of those make me less than happy.......But I've learned to

deal
with that, and this is good for me too.

I check in with RCB at breakfast every day.
~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
I'm not a hamster, and life's not a wheel. --Sooz
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 19th 03, 01:59 AM
Diana Curtis

Thanks for the good wishes and thank you for sharing your beady story!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Beadbimbo" wrote in message
This is such a fun thread to see all the different stories.

I don't know when I came to RCB. My hubby pointed it out to me, probably
3-4 years ago? I didn't do bead work, and was just starting to make a
little jewelry since I made lampwork beads and wanted to be able to put
stuff together. I asked a few questions, but then didn't hang around.

Then,
a while back, I was fed up with the service I received from FMG, and

wanted
to ask a question here. I found that there's a lot of experience and

great
advice here, and it's a great place to go when I'm looking for something.

wanted to make some bracelets, but had no idea what the beads were that

I'd
used, and someone pointed out that they were atlas or satina beads and
pointed me to Shipwreck (Now, that was a dangerous move!)

I still don't do seed bead work, but love it and especially love looking

at
photos of other people's work. I just love seeing all the colors and
designs that people come up with. AND because of this group, I got in on
the pen swap and got a wonderful seed bead pen from Kandice, and I also
traded some lampwork with Arondelle and got a beautiful amulet bag! I

keep
saying I don't need to take up one more thing, but I do love seed bead

work!
I'd rather swap though

Keep up that good recovery Diana!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
This recovery thing is boring to the utmost. Im reading most of the

posts
and catching up slowly, but havent energy to post much. Im taking this
getting better job seriously.
Reading posts is fun. Could I ask you, oldtimers and newcomers alike, to
amuse me with the story of how you came to RCB and why you stay, what
brought you to beads and what keeps you enthralled with this lovely

medium?
It would mean countless minutes of diversion for me. Make them as long

as
you want. We can just use up the bandwidth from one of the less

populated
groups. :-)
Thanks in Advance,
Diana, not feeling bad, just feeling tired. :-)

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old August 19th 03, 03:19 AM
melinda

Diana Curtis wrote:
That wins the award for the most unique way to come to beading so far. Im
very surprised that you have to wait so long to resume belly dancing, but it
is better to be safe than sorry.
I hope we get to see pictures of your veil when its done!
Diana

I bought a book on bead embroidery to help learn how to embellish things
for costume stuff. I'll follow Docs orders, as you say - better safe than
sorry. Pics of the veil(s) will take some time, I bought 10 metres of
sequin trim for each veil. I'm going round the perimeter first, then I'll
do something decorative with what's left over.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old August 19th 03, 03:34 AM
J Rogow

Like Sooz, I have health problems. Lupus sometimes keeps me
in bed for weeks with just my cat, the laptop, and a basket of
beads. When I'm not in a flare, I mostly travel, shop for beads,
and shoot in SASS competitions.

Most of my beading is done in the summer, when I can't shoot.

In my "spare" time I edit books and write for several publishers.

I was very active in this group until about three years ago, participated
in the "big box of beads" swap and some smaller swaps.

I can't remember why I unsubscribed. I think there was some nasty
stuff happening here and I didn't want the stress of dealing with
the unpleasantness. Moonfancy and Sooz brought me back.

My husband has gotten used to my hobby, and enjoys seeing my
creations. I'm hoping to sell on eBay soon, just to clear out some
of the inventory and get more money for beadsg.

Old August 19th 03, 07:06 AM
Carol in SLC

another friend, an author, was supposed to pick up her travel
arrangements from an agent at the WTC that morning, and overslept.
Sparkle is one lucky lady!

OMG - no kidding!

Carol in SLC
My jewelry: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/
Old August 19th 03, 09:36 AM
Kandice Seeber

Hehehe - you discovered out little *secret*!! It's code, you know. LOL

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

..... I swear, the first couple of conversations I read I thought "these
people are
on crack!" I had stumbled into the "close-knit" conversations the happen

quite
frequently. And then somebody mentioned peyote. I kept thinking they were
talking about the drug. Something about a peyote purse. I think my thought

was
along the line of "dang, they sure are brave to post about peyote online!"
LOLOL!!

THEN I found out in was the *stitch*! I think I must've been on crack!

Old August 19th 03, 09:37 AM
Kandice Seeber

((((((((Diana))))))))) Me too!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Thats a touching and moving story. The power of love and the power of
passion. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Im not surprised the
group would nudge you towards lampwork. Im just so glad they did!
Diana

Old August 19th 03, 09:41 AM
Kandice Seeber

LOL Damn, Diana - you *crack me up*!!