beadpoint question

Old January 20th 04, 12:11 PM
just me

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
news:1074565251.856748@prawn...
Generally when I'm looking for seed beads I just call them "tens", or
"elevens". Maybe you'll have more luck if you just call them "fifteens".
Any bead shop, even if they don't carry them should be familiar with the
term.

Thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind!

-Aula

Old January 20th 04, 01:58 PM
lgreene

If someone has already posted this answer, I apologize.

I am just sitting down and reading BeadWork, and one of the ads is for a
company named Beadlepoint. It has a website: http://www.beadlepoint.com.

Haven't looked at it, but it might be of some help?

"just me" wrote in message
m...
hello all -

I've been reading, trying to learn a new craft. Apparently I've picked a
more obscure part of beadwork or you all are not a group who practice it.

have a question or two. I've been trying to find seedbeads sized 15/0
locally. I've tried a couple shops that I thought would have a good
selection of beads [like Glad Rags] and none of them carry beads smaller
than 10/0. While there is another shop I will try tomorrow [hoping it is
open on MLK Day], I am wondering how to change my "gauge" to meet my need.
My directions tell me to use the 15/0 seed beads on #18 interlock
canvas[petit or needlepoint canvas]. If I switch to the 10/0 beads what
size canvas should I go to to keep the pattern looking right? This is my
very first venture into beads of any sort and I had to pick beadpoint, but

really want to do it because it is so similar to one of my favorite needle
arts: counted cross stitch.

Thank you for bearing with me. I'm really hoping someone here can shed

some
light on this new arena I've chosen!

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under http://snurl.com/369o
and on zazzle at http://snurl.com/38oh

Old January 20th 04, 07:45 PM
MargieK

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:50:22 GMT, "just me"
wrote:

Oh no! Starting with basketry [remember my foray into pineneedle basketry a
year ago?], beading, and then on to many other dear subjects. I'm in deep
deep trouble here!

Uh oh! Please don't shoot the messenger! ;=)

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old January 20th 04, 07:49 PM
MargieK

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:48:28 GMT, "just me"
wrote:

No, I hadn't thought of them. I have spent parts of today split between
leaving cards for doing woven cane [another one of my talents] throughout
the county at furniture refinish or antique shops and part of it bead
shopping. I was surprised that the term 15/0 was not a familiar one in any
of the bead shops where I enquired. I finally ended up with some stuff, but
may well resort to the lovely needlework shop and the internet in the
future in order to get colors I want. This will take some trial and error
but I think the style I am pondering will be significantly different from
what is currently available as I am leaning heavily into expressing
blackwork in the 15/0 beads in beadpoint style. An addition of some
victorian fringing at times and voila, we will see what we have!

-Aula, eyeing the supplies with trepidation and preparing for an evening of
experimentation.

You're going to do the blackwork you showed me with beadpoint? What a
wonderful idea, Aula!

I'm not sure but I think I have some teeny tiny beads here. If I find
them I'll send them to you. I doubt I'll use them I already get
headaches from eye strain using 11s.

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old January 20th 04, 08:16 PM
Kaytee

In article , "just me"
writes:

15/0 seed beads, they
otherwise were not particularly forthcoming with offering assistance. And,
considering the large variety of colors in other sizes, I was surprised that
there were few colors [about 40] and they were not labeled as to type of
color.

If you don't mind buying without seeing in person, General Bead has LOTS of
colors in both 15/0 and 14/0 (which is actually the same size, just Czech made
instead of Japanese). www.genbead.com Empyrean (sp?) Beads also has a good
selection of colors (sorry, not sure of URL). And both know what "15/0"
means.... Even the somewhat strange non-beader types that work at GB's B&M
store....
If you get to San Diego, The Shepherdess has a great selection, as well-- they
have a website, but I don't know if they "mail order" the beads.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old January 20th 04, 11:42 PM
just me

"MargieK" wrote in message

You're going to do the blackwork you showed me with beadpoint? What a
wonderful idea, Aula!

I'm not sure but I think I have some teeny tiny beads here. If I find
them I'll send them to you. I doubt I'll use them I already get
headaches from eye strain using 11s.

Thank you, Margie. I spent three hours last evening starting to learn
beadpoint and developing an increasingly deep respect of all those who work
with beads in various fashions. Amazing what *doing* teaches the observer
about the doers! Anyway, I did find it nearly as enjoyable as my absolute
favorite, counted xstitch. The size of the beads did not put me off, but
I'll tell ya that threading that beading needle had me more than cross eyed
and frustrated several times! That is one trick I need to learn some new
skills on! I started with beads of colors I was actively using in a plastic
ice cube tray. It works to contain them, but is a bit deep and shadows the
holes. So, more experimentation required there. But, fun was had and I
think now that I'm starting to do the craft I can start using my imagination
more to apply it without relying on books and patterns heavily. Thank you
for the encouragement!

-Aula

Old January 20th 04, 11:42 PM
just me

"lgreene" wrote in message
If someone has already posted this answer, I apologize.

I am just sitting down and reading BeadWork, and one of the ads is for a
company named Beadlepoint. It has a website: http://www.beadlepoint.com.

Haven't looked at it, but it might be of some help?

Oh thank you! I will be checking it out thoroughly after diner [I'm just in
from work now.....]

-Aula

Old January 20th 04, 11:43 PM
just me

"Kaytee" wrote in message
If you don't mind buying without seeing in person, General Bead has LOTS

of
colors in both 15/0 and 14/0 (which is actually the same size, just Czech

made
instead of Japanese). www.genbead.com Empyrean (sp?) Beads also has a

good
selection of colors (sorry, not sure of URL). And both know what "15/0"
means.... Even the somewhat strange non-beader types that work at GB's B&M
store....
If you get to San Diego, The Shepherdess has a great selection, as well--

they
have a website, but I don't know if they "mail order" the beads.

Thank you very much for those suggestions. Believe me, I am adding to my
basket of tricks daily here. You folks have been most welcoming and helpful
and I really really appreciate it!

-Aula

Old January 21st 04, 12:10 AM
Shirley Shone

Aula, Shirley from UK here.

Get a shallow tray and line it with velvet to put your beads on. You can
pick the beads up more easily. With velvet your needle comes out of the
pile easily but if you use felt you could get the point stuck in it.

I use those polystyrene trays that I get from the supermarket with food
in. I give them a good wash then line them with various colours of
velvet. I use light colours for dark beads and so on.

Welcome to the group
Shirley

In article , just me
writes
.. .

Old January 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Dr. Sooz

I'll tell ya that threading that beading needle had me more than cross eyed
and frustrated several times! That is one trick I need to learn some new
skills on!

From Bead Notes:
Threading the needle is really difficult. The eye is tiny. Everyone bitches
nonstop about this. So don't feel dumb if you have to struggle.....it's awful.
The worst part. If the end of the thread frays, cut it again and keep trying.
You can also flatten the end of the thread by squishing it against a
countertop, then paint it with glue, and let it dry -- then try to thread your
needle.

ALWAYS bring the needle to the thread -- not the thread to the needle (as is
usually done when sewing).

NEEDLES
I file my needles down so I don't poke myself or pierce the thread I'm using.
They become blunt enough that they don't poke me. I use automotive wet/dry
sandpaper, or in a pinch a metal nail file. I don't have wire files or I'd use
those.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Novice question - seeds vs beads (and how to make a seed last) WalkerDlwalke Beads 0 August 10th 03 11:40 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM