Singer LK100 /Zippy 90 problems

Old July 9th 10, 06:02 PM
lindakeeling lindakeeling is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Singer LK100 /Zippy 90 problems

Hi, I purchased a Zippy 90 on ebay recently, but each time I try to run the carriage across even 1 needle it jams in the carriage, and the needles seem to be magnetic! Does anyone have any answers for me I am keen to get started!
thanks Linda
Old July 11th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
King's Crown[_3_]

Default Singer LK100 /Zippy 90 problems

--
lindakeeling

Hi Linda,

There are a lot of machine knitting yahoo groups. Go join and you'll get a
lot of help to your questions. This board doesn't get much action.

Regards,
Lynne

Old July 12th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
hobbyknitter

Hello Linda.

More than likely the sponge is no good. What you need to do is
replace it with new foam or make your own with weather stripping. I
just put up a video on how I did my KH390, similar but the LK100 don't
have the plastic pieces as shown in my video. You should have 3 or 4
metal brackets on the bottom. Now if you can sew the new one to the
old one and pull it through then you don't have to take the needles
out. But if the sponge is too far gone, then you will need to take
the needles out. Take a look: http://hobbyknitter.com/files/tips/r...ng_sponge.html

Roberta

Old February 2nd 11, 12:49 PM
JennyL JennyL is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindakeeling View Post
Hi, I purchased a Zippy 90 on ebay recently, but each time I try to run the carriage across even 1 needle it jams in the carriage, and the needles seem to be magnetic! Does anyone have any answers for me I am keen to get started!
thanks Linda
Hi Linda, if you are still having probs exactly the same as I am! I have a bit of info for you. Someone told me on another forum to remove the magnet from underneath the carriage two small cross head screws - I did this and voila! it knits and doesn't jam up - so much :-( Someone else told me to replace the sponge strip underneath the needles as this can disintegrate after many years - mine is 25 years old!!! Very hard to get, but you can use window insulation strip remove old strip by pulling it out from under the machine and measure width I have yet to try this...hope this helps and you will soon be knitting again! I used to love my Zippy 90! Regards, Jenny
Old February 10th 11, 04:25 PM
Grotty Garbo Grotty Garbo is offline
Junior Member

I had the same problem and bought a new sponge strip. That fixed it. It cost £5.00 and took 10 minutes to install. The only problem was when I took out the old strip then turned the machine upside down, all the needles fell out over the floor! The Knitmaster spares aren't made any more but a Brother sponge strip fits perfectly with just a small piece needing to be trimmed off the ends. I love my Zippy and use it for all sorts of hand knitting yarns.
Marion Bucks, England
Old March 11th 11, 05:38 PM
JennyL JennyL is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindakeeling View Post
Hi, I purchased a Zippy 90 on ebay recently, but each time I try to run the carriage across even 1 needle it jams in the carriage, and the needles seem to be magnetic! Does anyone have any answers for me I am keen to get started!
thanks Linda
Hi Linda, Just posted re the very same thing!! I had exactly the same probs with my 25 year old Zippy90 and have replaced the sponge strip brake, then replaced all the needles as Marge on this forum describes, and hey presto, knits like a dream!! It uses the same sponge strip as the LK150. You can get a sponge strip from www.andeeknits.co.uk for £6.50-ish. Mine was magnetic too, but fine now....I did spray needle bed with an antistatic spray, might have helped.

Good luck! Jenny
Old March 11th 11, 06:34 PM
JennyL JennyL is offline
Junior Member

P.S. You MUST remove all the needles as per instruction book BEFORE you remove/replace sponge strip!
Old March 11th 11, 06:37 PM
JennyL JennyL is offline
Junior Member

P.P.S. You will also have to remove/replace carefully the three supporting brackets underneath Zippy when you insert needles back in bed.

Singer LK100 manual Msbayhaven Machine Knit 6 April 7th 06 11:33 AM
Singer LK100 carriage jams LL Phillips Machine Knit 2 September 29th 04 11:31 AM
Singer Overlocker Problems drew Sewing 1 May 5th 04 10:57 AM
BRAND NEW - NEVER USED! Singer LK100 for sale Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 21st 03 06:40 PM
BRAND NEW! Singer LK100 for sale Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 7th 03 12:06 AM