Naming is the game, and I suck at it.

Old September 20th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Default Naming is the game, and I suck at it.

Does anyone else have a hard time coming up with names to call their jewelry pieces?
I do, and I don't know why. Sometimes the name just comes to you, but most times I am at a loss.
I can sit here for hours and never come up with a name to call this stuff. What the hell is wrong
with me?

I started a word document where I list name, terms, sayings, and anything that strikes me as a
potential name for some jewelry piece - the right piece. I just started to do this because I find
it SOOOOOOOOO hard to think of names for my pieces right when I need it. That's helped, but I am
still having a hard time of it.

Does anyone else have this problem? What do you all do to name your jewelry pieces?

Sterling

Old September 20th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/19/09 10:17 PM, in article ,
"Sterling" wrote:

[...]

Well, as far as a source for names - check out some of the wacky names some
of the daylily hybridizers come up with like (Spacecoast) Gator Eye. Or
floss colors.

But - while I understand the impulse to name, I don't think I've named any
piece I've made. I will make notes under heading like "lanyard for Ellen"
with colors and wire type and such.

Cheryl

Old September 20th 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_3_]

You did give me my giggle for the week!! I am with Cheryl on this. I don't
name things. I have a rather crazy neighbour who names her trees, cars,
rocks and so on. Hence my aversion to naming a necklace or some such.

I just call them what they are.......copper Swaro pearl necklace, etc.
However when I mix in a lot of different beady things, I will say "it looks
African" for instance.

The woman who did the Vintaj pendant in the last Bead Style mag lives in BC
and I fell in love with that piece. I went to her website and she calls
each pendant by a first name........and a lot of them are weird!! My
necklace is called "Thora" by her.......not about to call it anything other
than my Vintaj and pearl pendant, LOL.

Cheers.....Heather

Old September 20th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl Isaak

Heather - do you live near a gardener named Maddie? Or is she less one of a
kind then I thought? (BTW, my cars are always just "girl" or "baby")

I'm almost tempted to as for a link.....

Cheryl

Old September 20th 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

I just gotta be different! Girl names for my vehicles are a complete No-No. You wouldn't name a
girl dog Barney would you? All my vehicles are Male! Mine got balls, hence the dude names. I
don't drive a girly-man car, I drive a full out Tahoe and I love my truck. A friend of mine made me
a "set of balls" out of blue and white cord for my male truck that I hang off the back of my truck,
off the tow hitch. *lmao* You guys ever see those ones made out of plastic that look realistic? I
think they are outlawed here in my town. *rotflmao* I wouldn't have those...

Just like my computer - I named him Petie. I figure, I spend a lot of time with "him" so I might
all well name "him". Not to mention I kinda had to on account of my network. hehehehe

I say again, I just gotta be different. Dude names. yeah, thats where its at, cept for my jewelry.
*snort* Most of my jewelry is something like "freshwater pearls, sterling silver, and Jasper".
Yeah, real original. So, what happens if you make two bracelets with freshwater pearls, sterling
silver and jasper? Of course, they are different colors and different size/shape stones, but its
all basically the same. So, what then? I actually asked my mom to help me come up with names and
she said I should name them "freshwater pearls, sterling silver, and Jasper-1, then 2, then 3" and
so on. Geez, like thats really gonna go over well on the web site! I could see it now, some woman
trying to buy "freshwater pearls, sterling silver, and Jasper-2" when she really wanted #4.

Naming, I still suck at it!

Sterling

Old September 20th 09, 08:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather[_3_]

ACK!! There are more like her out there???? Her name is Jane.......and
oddly enough, she is very INTO gardening. Her backyard is like a grotto
with fountains and fish, etc. They all have names too (G).

I assume you want the link to the female names on pendants. Have a look at
this...she does a smashing job.

http://kelliesutton.com/

I am always intrigued by previous occupations of beaders.......Kellie was a
cop. But I think a lot of beaders were into IT work. What could be more
opposite than programming/fixing computers and creating jewellery???

Heather

Old September 20th 09, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Sterling[_3_]

Heather, I think its a prerequisite to name your jewelry if you sell it on a web site. It helps
people to remember which one they wanted instead of a bunch of numbers or some such. Besides, I
think names could intrigue some people to open the thumbnail to see the bigger picture and maybe buy
it. *shrug*

But no, other than my computer and my attempts to name my jewelry, I don't name anything else. Not
even my bad ass truck has a name. What would I call it? Hell, I cant even think of names for my
jewelry! hahahahahaha

Sterling

Old September 21st 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dwyn

Does anyone else have this problem? *What do you all do to name your
jewelry pieces?

Names are a GREAT selling tool - I name most everything, but not, Gawd
help me, with "people" names.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5279559

Some are descriptive of the colour/and or shape, some of the emotion
that I think it evokes, or what I was thinking about, or listening to,
when I made it.

Million Dollar Necklace
Into the Mystic
Earth Below Us
Rasberry Swirl
Lime Gold Wave
Obscured by Mist and Frozen in Time

Guess I'm just a story-teller at heart.

However, my vehicle does not have a name, nor my computer. For some
reason, although I drive a minivan - everyone refers to it as my
"truck." This confuses me - but I've learned to live with it and now
it is "my truck." I guess it has honorary truck status for all the
hauling of dogs and equipment that it does. I have no idea how anyone
can manage with just a car. ;-)
Old September 21st 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Cheryl Isaak

At one point, DSister had 55 koi in her pond - all named - after the Marx
Bros and descending from there. I have a friend that has all the stepping
stones in her garden numbered and must be re-laid in the spring in the same
spot.

Me - two trees are "Stephen's Tree" and "Gram's tree", both planted in
memory of my cousin and my Grammy. Cars are usually "girl" or blasted pain.

I was an engineer. Have always been a crafter. Do have one daylily of my own
creation that may get a registered name with the Daylily Society folks. It's
named after my daughter....

Cheryl
(who should really get on the house work)

Old September 23rd 09, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Dwyn

On Sep 22, 10:47*pm, "Sterling"
wrote:
Most of my stuff is one of a kind, so it just makes sense to name each piece. *But, if you are
making a lot of one kind, then it doesn't really make sense to name each one of the same kind. *Boy,

I agree. But, if you have a "line" of jewery though - it makes sense
to name it.

Such as - this is the "Summer Breezes" line, and this is the "Fall
Frost" collection, which consists of the 2 styles of earrings, 3
lengths of necklaces, and 2 styles of bracelet. yada yada yada.