Final Borders Assy Question

Old January 24th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Default Final Borders Assy Question

Since I like to cut my borders on the lengthwise grain so I don't have
seams across them, and they help stabilize the quilt, I am with you. G
I generally do sides, then top/bottom.
Of course sometimes I put in cornerstones and then you can't tell. VBG
I think it is also easier to work the the shorter lengths.
BTW, in EQ they have both options available, so I don't think there is
really a "right" and a "wrong" way, just two different options.

Pati, in Phx

TwinMom wrote:
Ok friends, I'm at a loss here. I'm turning to the group to see what ya'll
do. When I was taught to make quilts, one of my first teachers told us to
put the side borders on first, then add the top and bottom. Something about
seams around the top being uncomfortable when in use, wearing better,
hanging straighter and it was just easier that way. That's what I was taught
all those years ago. Always done it that way. BTW, most of the smaller quilt
patterns I've seen (lap & such) also show this "wrong" method.

Now, in making this TB Club Quilt, they want the top and bottom first, THEN
the sides. This makes for some Really Long sides (120") and Fairly Short
top/bottom (84") border cuts. So, I checked with the shop owner and she
concurs on the TB way. Then I check my reference books (Oh, I should read
the manual first? LOL) and, Yep, I've been doing it "wrong" all these years.
I'm going to keep doing it my "wrong" way unless there is some convincing
arguments to the contrary. It seems that, when I do it my way, the borders
on a large rectangular quilt come out generally close in size when the sides
go on first, and the top/bottom second. In the TB example, my raw borders
would be roughly 100" sides and 104" top/bottom.

So, keeping in mind that TANQP (There Are No Quilt Police), what do ya'll do
in attaching your final borders? Curious minds want to know. LOL

Lorraine in WA

Old January 24th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I'm a rebel, Polly. VBG I don't measure with a tape, even though I do
have a 120" tape measure.
I measure the border against the middle of the quilt top. If it is large
I have been known to fold the top in half, and fold the border in half
too to get accurate measurements. That way I don't make a mistake
transferring numbers from one to the other. (It has been known to
happen. sigh. Especially if I am tired/excited/in a push to finish.)
I also cut both borders at the same time to be sure they are exactly the
same size. G

Pati, in Phx

Polly Esther wrote:
For goodness sake, I had no idea that it mattered. I usually do mine for
economy of fabric too. While we're here though, how do you go about
measuring something like 100" accurately? I can see the need and borrow
DH's metal wind-up sort of tape or use his long metal ruler plus my
yardstick. Still, I wonder if someone's perfected the challenge. Polly

"KJ" wrote in message
I learned to do it like you Lorraine. I was told that it felt more like it
was capped off if the top and bottom were the last two borders. I'm not
sure why, but that's how I view it even now. That it's "finished" with
the top done last. The other way, it feels like the sides aren't
"contained". Just my warped view based on something I read or was told long
ago. If it's not square, then you don't have as long a piece for the side
if you do those first when you do it our way.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
et...

Old January 24th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Kathyl:
Your method is how my Quilts of Valor Bee usually does the borders of our
QoV. This seems to work nicely,
especially since we rotate meeting places and do not always have the same
rulers available.

When I work alone, I often measure with paper rolls from adding machines
(cash register tape works too.) I use it in manner similar to what you
describe. There is NO flex in the paper, so this is very accurate.

PAT in VA/USA

"KJ" wrote in message
news_Qlj.313550$Fc.164671@attbi_s21...
I've said this before, but for borders I "measure" with the untrimmed
border fabric piece. I stretch (well not stretch, but you know what I
mean) the fabric through the middle and mark where to trim it for the
measurement. Then I cut the other border from the first one....or use the
top again...whatever is easiest. Works really well.

Old January 24th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

It's such a simple method and very, very accurate. But I have to admit that
sometimes I have a brain f*rt and get out my tape measure anyway. I think I
get suckered in when I read in the instructions..."measure and cut borders
to correct size". "Measure" means inches, right? Using the border fabric
or paper saves the step of trying to measure the border piece after
measuring the top. I will remember, I will remember I will remember I
will..............

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old January 25th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

For exactly the reason you mentioned (longer sides and shorter T/B if you do
T/B first), I usually do the sides first.
Never heard anybody say that one way was intrinsically better than the
other.
Roberta in D

et...

Old January 27th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice

I've permanently "borrowed" one of my husband's metal tape measures too. I
usually lay large quilts out on the floor, and have my DH help me measure
the width and length in several places.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

"KJ" wrote in message
I learned to do it like you Lorraine. I was told that it felt more like
it was capped off if the top and bottom were the last two borders. I'm
not sure why, but that's how I view it even now. That it's "finished"
with the top done last. The other way, it feels like the sides aren't
"contained". Just my warped view based on something I read or was told
long ago. If it's not square, then you don't have as long a piece for the
side if you do those first when you do it our way.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
et...

Old January 27th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa

Hi,

A silly question, what are cornerstones.

I have only ever done the sides first, then the top & bottom. I have tried
mitred corners but they turn out icky.

Di
Vic Aust

et...

Old January 27th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KI Graham

A picture is worth....
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...es/teawith.htm
each of the last three rounds has cornerstones: the hearts and final borders
have embroidery cornerstones cut from grandma's teacloth; the floral round
has paper pieced teacup cornerstones

http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...getman_jpg.htm
and
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/gallery/quilts/Samplers/pages/kim's%20christmas_jpg.htm
both use blocks as cornerstones in very large borders: the first one has a
floral print border, the second one has a border that's pieced of three
fabrics.

http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...lefson_jpg.htm
is the most common use of cornerstones: they're the dark blue squares where
the sashing pieces meet. Here's another quilt in that style:
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...rlenes_jpg.htm

One last version: here the block pattern is extended into the inner border
with squares along the sides and at the corners; the outer border has focus
fabric cornerstones to finish the quilt.
http://members.shaw.ca/whiskerwerx/g...nksfor_jpg.htm

As I recall, I didn't have enough of the dark blue fabric to do the whole
border, so I added cornerstones to make it work.
--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old January 27th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa

Thanks Kim,

Those quilts are beautiful and very inspiring. Will have to remember this
when I try to finish my daughters quilt.

I have saved those links to help me.

Thank you so much,
Di
Vic Aust

Old January 28th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:13:23 GMT, "TwinMom"
wrote:

[...]

I do it your way. I think that the capital I shape of the border
seams is more pleasing than the capital H shape you get with really
long side borders. If that makes any sense to anyone but myself.....
And, thrift is good. I like economy. Sometimes, if I had to cut
really long borders for the sides, I would not have had enough fabric
to do it. I am trying to use up my stash(!) which has led me to
investigate cornerstones, piece borders, and other wonders.....

-- Jo in Scotland

Borders Gothikka Quilting 9 August 28th 07 01:20 PM
borders are on KJ Quilting 37 March 18th 07 05:34 PM
Absolutely the FINAL final call for RCTQ Postcard Swap! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 16 February 23rd 06 05:25 PM
Borders Sally Swindells Quilting 13 April 17th 05 01:12 AM
Yay!!! Borders are on! Thank you all! hfw Quilting 1 December 30th 03 08:20 AM