top or bottom

Old September 17th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Default top or bottom

I second the motion!

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

"Gen" wrote in message
I know we've had this discussion numerous times, but since there are a lot
of newbies, I thought I'd open it up again. There are some that answer
posts by posting on top and others that wait and post at the bottom of
post being answered to tell what the answer is referring to. If posting on
the bottom, some are leaving everything in---often many prior posts. This
means scrolling ALL the way down to see the answer, which is occ. "me too".
Very frustrating. If posting on the bottom of previous messages, please
eliminate some of the earlier ones. Thanks

--
Gen
http://community.webshots.com/user/Coren920

Old September 17th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

always happy to keep ya amused, Ms P.
snorfle'n in the south pacific,
jeanne

"Polly Esther" wrote...
Jeanne, I have no idea what you said but I always enjoy hearing from you.
=) Polly

"nzlstar*" wrote, in part if they reply at the bottom, the post they
are replying to is in the middle,
therefore under the "replyers name" now that is very confusing
so i move their post up to the top under "replyers name" wrote...
gawd, just read thru that and only i'll understand it. i move stuff
around from how it shows up for my reply.

Old September 17th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"L" wrote:

Heh, probably not the newbies who do it.... it is a long standing practice,
a usenet 'tradition' so to speak. And, folks have 'good' reasons for each
method.

It all works out to a matter of preference.

I agree, Lisa Anne. My own preference is actually for "in-between"
posting, which means I tend to intersperse my comments in the body of
the original post. I'm also a firm believer in "trimming", as you can
see by what I did to your original post. If I don't post in the body of
the original message, though, I -- like you -- prefer a bottom post. But
I'd also like people to trim where they can.

My own newsreader, MT-NewsWatcher, automatically puts the insertion
point for what I write at the bottom of the quote, which works for me.
Eudora, which I use for email, does the same.

I think we'll all probably have to agree to disagree on this, since top
posters and bottom posters all have preferences, and preferences are
hard to justify or change. G Still, all of us would probably be
happier if we all just trimmed!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 17th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Very frustrating. Gen

Whether tizz on top or bottom I jess read the stuff I wanna, ignore the
stuff I don't wanna, glean through the stuff I don't know if I wanna know or
don't wanna know and save my worry and frusstratin' for the really big
problems like achieving whorled peas, from whence my next chocolate is a
coming, if Mizzy Polly is ever gonna Bedazzle her gators and if tattoo ink
seeps into the DNA to produce little Druid grandbabies.

Val

Old September 17th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lavenders@Home

A reasonable percentage of news/mail software give you the choice of
"before" or "after" setting in their preferences so unless you change this,
most folk go with the default because they don't know it can be changed [for
the most part, depending on software]. OE's default is before whereas
Mozilla/Thunderbird is after.
I prefer the "before" because when a thread generates a lot of interest you
can find yourself scrolling quite some way to find one line of answer to
that post.
Again, this is personal choice but it doesn't hurt to bring attention to it
occasionally. If you do like to post at the bottom of a long thread, then
snipping some of the messages above does help both scrolling and bandwidth
for that matter. I get a bit lazy posting at the top and don't snip as
much as I should to save the amount of bandwidth to download that
message....[50 lashes with a wet tissue across the back of the hand].

Wendy in Nsw

Old September 18th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

You might as well give up on my bedazzling the gators. They don't even like
to be counted. In 2005, the Marine Bureau estimated their number as 8,500.
In 2006, the man who can count never returned; in 2007 nobody even ventured
out here. If you ever want to see how fast a mail carrier can move, come
watch ours. Polly

"Val" wrote, in part save my worry and frusstratin' for the really big

Old September 18th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Lots of folks have flaky news servers. I often just include the
previous msg. because that is the only way some folks will see it.
This isn't rocket science here but if I can help someone get a missed
message the mess quoted below for everyone else is easily disregarded.
Logical? Quilters? ; )

One of the original reasons was amount of data transmitted for those
using dial up, so few people still have that, it has become irrelevant,
though it may not be for large organisations, or for the telecoms
companies, it may not matter down our own individual lines, but add them
alltogether and it will result in the need for infrastructure updates
and the cost will be passed on to us.

Just in one day, I've read several posts on here that have been top
posted where the context wasn't initially clear, whether that be which
person they were addressing, or which question there were answering,
I've also read some great posts, with the answers interspersed and the

Cheers
Anne
Old September 18th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

I prefer the "before" because when a thread generates a lot of interest you
can find yourself scrolling quite some way to find one line of answer to
that post.

which merely illustrates the importance of trimming

Anne
Old September 18th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

i still have dial up here.
i flat out refuse to pay for broadband cuz the speeds here are still so slow
in comparison to the speeds you get in the use.
they have the ability to speed it up here but they dont.
til they do, i'll stick with dial up for now.
i have unlimited time and downloads for a flat rate of NZ$15 a month and if
a site is taking forever to load i'll go make a cuppa while i wait, no
biggy.
cheers,
jeanne

"Anne Rogers" wrote...

Old September 18th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

An issue with me is there are a few folks that use the "New Post" button
instead of the "Reply Group" button. Not an issue really (although the post
doesn't show up as a respond to the original message) except there is no
original post to link it to.

Since I use Outlook Express to see RCTQ, my posts are all in outline form. I
can also flag the original message if it is something I want to follow and
it appears at the top of the posts until I take away the flag.

Soooooo simple.

--

"Gen" wrote in message
I know we've had this discussion numerous times, but since there are a lot
of newbies, I thought I'd open it up again. There are some that answer
posts by posting on top and others that wait and post at the bottom of
post being answered to tell what the answer is referring to. If posting on
the bottom, some are leaving everything in---often many prior posts. This
means scrolling ALL the way down to see the answer, which is occ. "me too".
Very frustrating. If posting on the bottom of previous messages, please
eliminate some of the earlier ones. Thanks

--
Gen
http://community.webshots.com/user/Coren920

OT This is it, rock bottom Sartorresartus Quilting 20 September 23rd 06 11:03 PM
bottom row of stitches Cindy Quilting 5 September 4th 06 06:24 PM
Saggy bottom MY WORD Sewing 2 August 24th 06 03:46 AM
The Bottom line mauvicem Quilting 6 December 22nd 04 03:24 AM