Very narrow border.

Old August 4th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Default Very narrow border.

Sandy wrote:
In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

Sandy wrote:
In article ,
Patti wrote:

Now you can just get narrower and narrower, Sally, and you will
eventually arrive at a sort of 'cheat' piping!
It's not really any more difficult, except slightly more trick to keep
even if you have any seams in its way. But *between two other borders,
so you have no seam bumps, it would be perfectly easy!
(I am behind the rest of the world, too; I haven't tried proper piping
yet!)
.
Pat, if either you or Sally decides to do piping at some point, I'd like
to recommend Susan Cleveland's technique and tool -- Piping Hot Binding.
I've fallen in love with piping because of the ease of applying it.

Susan has a new book called "Piping Hot Curves". All of the designs in
the book use piping inserted into curved piecing. It looks quite simple
and knowing Susan, the instructions should be easy to follow. I'm taking
a class from her in November; she's teaching one of the patterns in the
book.

Julia in MN

Julia, are you taking that class in Houston? I'm taking it at Festival!

No. Fortunately for me, Susan lives very near here and is teaching the
class locally. But I do wish I were going to Houston anyhow. What is she
teaching in Houston? Which class are you taking in Houston? I'm taking
her "Eye of the Piper" class.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 4th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

Sandy wrote:
In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

Sandy wrote:
In article ,
Patti wrote:

[...]

I'll be taking a class called Piping Hot Curves. I'm pretty excited
about it, since I think there are some pitfalls in putting piping into
the body of the unquilted top -- quilting it later could cause some
unevenness, and I think she's worked all of that out.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 4th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

I missed the original post and some of the replies- maybe this has been
answered already??? To prevent the so called Sairey strips from being loose
and a pain when quilting, you can sew them down and get a very accurate very
narrow border.

Just cut the strip for the narrow border by adding 1/4 inch to the desired
narrow strip and then double it. Example- if you wanted a 1/8 in. narrow
border add 1/8 in. to the normal 1/4 in. seam allowance. That would be 3/8
in. Then double that because it will be folded later- or 3/4 in. Cut the
3/4 in. strip and lay it flat on the edge of the quilt top with right sides
together. Sew the strip in place with a 3/8 in. seam allowance. Then fold
it back even with the edge of the quilt. When you sew on the next regular
border with a normal 1/4 in. seam allowance, you will have 1/8 in. of the
narrow border showing !

Very simple and very accurate and no flopping around. You can use this
method with many widths- even an inch or more by adjusting the seam
allowance when you sew the narrow border fabric to the quilt top (a 1 in.
narrow border would need a 1-1/4 in. seam allowance when you sew the narrow
border fabric strip in place) BUT be sure that narrow border won't cover any
piecing thingies like the points of triangles or stars or something else
that might create problems.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 4th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks, Sandy.
..
In message , Sandy
writes
In article ,
Patti wrote:

I wish. Sorry.
.

Drat. I was hoping ....

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 4th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
[...]

Thanks Leslie. I've printed this out and put it in my book that has the
narrow border instructions. Then I will know where it is next time I am
'bordering'.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old August 4th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Have you finished that one that you brought for Drag and Brag? Did you
change the Leprechaun's background?)

Butterfly

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
I also have that book. G Am getting ready to do one of the quilts to
teach here in the valley. BG Looks like fun, but the technique is
actually applique, not piecing. I am also preparing to do some curved
piecing with the piping. Will let you all know how it works out.

Pati,in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Julia in MN wrote:

Old August 4th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Yep, finished and mailed off. And yes I did dot in color in the
background. Pics in the Hoffman album. BG (Still not sure it is
really what I had intended, but it has been sent in.........)

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
I also have that book. G Am getting ready to do one of the quilts to
teach here in the valley. BG Looks like fun, but the technique is
actually applique, not piecing. I am also preparing to do some curved
piecing with the piping. Will let you all know how it works out.

Pati,in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Julia in MN wrote:

Old August 4th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Oh yeah! I like...but then I did when I got to see it first hand. Like what
you did to the lil guy too. Just the right touch of shading.
Will be anxious to hear the outcome

Butterfly

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
I also have that book. G Am getting ready to do one of the quilts to
teach here in the valley. BG Looks like fun, but the technique is
actually applique, not piecing. I am also preparing to do some curved
piecing with the piping. Will let you all know how it works out.

Pati,in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Julia in MN wrote:

Old August 6th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Interesting thread. Not sure where to insert my info,
so I went back to the OP.
At the recent Ricky Tims Seminar, he demonstrated a
teensy tiny piping which uses pearl cotton (crochet
cording) for the cording. Very sharp results!
PAT in VA/USA

Sally Swindells wrote:

Probably I am behind the rest of the world, but I have just discovered
narrow borders!

Old August 6th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Sally Swindells wrote:

Probably I am behind the rest of the world, but I have just discovered
narrow borders!

Got lots of that, so I'll have to give it a try.

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk