Very narrow border.

Old August 3rd 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Default Very narrow border.

Probably I am behind the rest of the world, but I have just discovered
narrow borders!

Its a 1.1/2 strip folded in half and ironed to give a 3/4" strip. Cut 2
to the width and 2 for the length.

Then with the raw edges together and the folded edge towards the centre
of the quilt, sew the sides first and then the top and bottom with a
slightly less than 1/4" seam.

Then put the wide border on as normal.

The narrow strip is almost like a piping, but is much less fiddly than
making a conventional narrow border, lies flatter and looks clever,
though its so easy. Also slight wiggles in sewing don't show as its only
stitched down one edge!

Also if you are doing a quilt which will just fit the backing fabric it
doesn't make it any wider - I'm doing a quillow which uses normal width
fabric unjoined for the back, and a 1/2" border would have meant having
to reduce the wide border, and upsetting the balance.

I have a feeling little narrow borders will become my trademark, though
its too late for the queue awaiting quilting!

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old August 3rd 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Now you can just get narrower and narrower, Sally, and you will
eventually arrive at a sort of 'cheat' piping!
It's not really any more difficult, except slightly more trick to keep
even if you have any seams in its way. But *between two other borders,
so you have no seam bumps, it would be perfectly easy!
(I am behind the rest of the world, too; I haven't tried proper piping
yet!)
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 3rd 07, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Now you can just get narrower and narrower, Sally, and you will
eventually arrive at a sort of 'cheat' piping!
It's not really any more difficult, except slightly more trick to keep
even if you have any seams in its way. But *between two other borders,
so you have no seam bumps, it would be perfectly easy!
(I am behind the rest of the world, too; I haven't tried proper piping
yet!)
.

Pat, if either you or Sally decides to do piping at some point, I'd like
to recommend Susan Cleveland's technique and tool -- Piping Hot Binding.
I've fallen in love with piping because of the ease of applying it.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 3rd 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska

Those little folded pieces look great on some quilts and I usually
think about them just AFTER I've put on the final border. :

Just remember to look forward to the quilting stage. If too
'flappy', those borders can get caught when long-armed.

joan

Old August 3rd 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I might well, Sandy. I have thought about it - but thought on 'other'
things is scarce at the moment!
..
In message , Sandy
writes

Old August 3rd 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Piping is a good way to turn tricky curved edges (I used it on DWR) so you
can applique to a border strip and make a nice rectangle for binding.
Piping needs to be bias though for best results.
Roberta in D

Old August 3rd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Yes, indeed. BTDT. The "flappy" effect is NOT pretty and is a regal
pain to take out :-(

Rita L.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ggollymm
Old August 3rd 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Isn't that what we use to call a 'Sairey Strip' on here when she was a
regular? It became her 'trademark's in all her quilts.

Butterfly (miss her Queen of OT posts)

Old August 3rd 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

I might well, Sandy. I have thought about it - but thought on 'other'
things is scarce at the moment!
.
In message , Sandy
writes

Pat, if either you or Sally decides to do piping at some point, I'd like
to recommend Susan Cleveland's technique and tool -- Piping Hot Binding.
I've fallen in love with piping because of the ease of applying it.

I can imagine! Any news?

Old August 3rd 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

I was thinking the same thing. Do every time I do one of these
"inserts". G But I usually cut my strips at 1" so that the little
flap, at a quarter of an inch, isn't as "flappy". It often gives just
that little bit of extra to really bring out the colors of a top.
Although, I agree with Sandy about the "Piping Hot Binding" tool. I have
just gotten it and love the look. used it as a means to set off the
center of the top from the binding in a quilt top I finished just a week
or so ago. (yes, I need to get some pics up. will when I can manage a
way to get pics which may not happen until the weather cools a bit. G)

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks