I'm back!!!!

Old August 5th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default I'm an outcast -- was, I'm back!!!!

In article
,
Sandy wrote:

Unbelievable as it sounds, I *think* I have my EL newsgroups back again!
Of course, it's taken me several hours of (not-so) patiently dealing
with various tech support people over the course of the past few days,
but it boiled down to a change in the server's address. I hadn't been
able to authenticate my connection because of it. It amazes me how
little some of these tech support people know -- one didn't even
recognize the terms "newsgroup" or "usenet". Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Anyway, Pati, in case it might help you, they've told me to use
news.earthlink.net (minus the brackets), rather than one of the ones
with "east" or "west" in them. That did the trick for me, though I'm
hanging onto both Motzarella and Aioe, just in case.

Ooops -- it seems that, while I can read from EL, I can't post. Another
authentication error. sigh

Good luck to us all!

Obviously, the message decided to go, just as I was about to give up and
copy/paste it to Aioe. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 5th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article
,
Sandy wrote:

Unbelievable as it sounds, I *think* I have my EL newsgroups back again!

AWESOME!!!

Other providers are nice, but "home's" always best, I think!

Of course, it's taken me several hours of (not-so) patiently dealing
with various tech support people over the course of the past few days,
but it boiled down to a change in the server's address. I hadn't been
able to authenticate my connection because of it. It amazes me how
little some of these tech support people know -- one didn't even
recognize the terms "newsgroup" or "usenet". Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh!

Pfft. When I was experiencing problems logging on (Knology service
hiccup), I was told by a TS person that (and I quote) Macs can't
connect to newsgroups!!

(Ummm ... then what the heck was going on in the year prior to the
hiccups when I was happily posting away????)

Every single time I talk to TS, they always tell me that Macs have to
be restarted in order to "save" server settings. Which is utter
bull-doody - Macs make and save changes "real-time." No restarting
necessary (I have Mac friends who haven't shut down their Macs for
YEARS).

Finally, I got one honest TS who told me that Knology doesn't train
their TS personnel at all on Macs/Mac situations. They literally have
no clue unless they themselves own Macs.

One TS person I spoke to said they (Knology) don't even offer NGs.

So I'm not one bit surprised. Not one teeny-tiny bit.

Oh, and BTW, I once worked for a gov contracting firm that outsourced
government TS services (FEMA, if you want to know the truth - scary,
huh?). The training session needed to dispatch and coordinate emergency
service? 2 hours. Anyone really surprised??? :/

Course, that was about 10 years ago, so I have no idea how it's done
now. But back then ... I was scared to death and utterly shocked.

Anyway, Pati, in case it might help you, they've told me to use
news.earthlink.net (minus the brackets), rather than one of the ones
with "east" or "west" in them. That did the trick for me, though I'm
hanging onto both Motzarella and Aioe, just in case.

Ooops -- it seems that, while I can read from EL, I can't post. Another
authentication error. sigh

Good luck to us all!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!
Old August 5th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Pfft. When I was experiencing problems logging on (Knology service
hiccup), I was told by a TS person that (and I quote) Macs can't
connect to newsgroups!!

(Ummm ... then what the heck was going on in the year prior to the
hiccups when I was happily posting away????)

That's exactly the sort of thing I was dealing with, Connie. Sheesh.
You'd think -- especially now, when Macs are becoming more and more
popular because of the ease of using both OS X and Windows on the same
machine -- that people would climb out of their dark holes. :S

Wasn't it fun to find out that Dena Crain uses a Mac? And, BTW, I giggle
every time I think of her name. I'm a fan of Boston Legal, and Dennie
Crain is a hoot. G

Old August 5th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article
,
Sandy wrote:

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Pfft. When I was experiencing problems logging on (Knology service
hiccup), I was told by a TS person that (and I quote) Macs can't
connect to newsgroups!!

(Ummm ... then what the heck was going on in the year prior to the
hiccups when I was happily posting away????)

That's exactly the sort of thing I was dealing with, Connie. Sheesh.
You'd think -- especially now, when Macs are becoming more and more
popular because of the ease of using both OS X and Windows on the same
machine -- that people would climb out of their dark holes. :S

Pfft. I have several friends (not colleagues) who are PC people - to
the point WE'RE Mac people - and they refuse to see Macs as anything
other than either a status symbol (and nothing else) or a "kid's
machine."

One of my friends went so far as to make a T-shirt with the picture of
the PC guy (from the Mac commercials) saying "PC, Grown-up and PROUD!"
*rolls eyes*
And yet, he STILL calls ME when he's got some horrible virus.

About 5 years ago, I "converted" a friend of ours ... it was the tenth
time he'd called me over in a WEEK to help with a virus on his PC when
he finally asked "If Macs are so *&^% great, how do you know so much
about getting rid of viruses?!" I told him, "Cause I used to be PC. Now
that I have a Mac, I don't get viruses anymore."
He ordered a Mac the same night!

Wasn't it fun to find out that Dena Crain uses a Mac? And, BTW, I giggle
every time I think of her name. I'm a fan of Boston Legal, and Dennie
Crain is a hoot. G

Same here!! Only, for some reason, we haven't seen it in about 2
months. Every time we look for it on TV it isn't there!! Our TV guide
says it's on Tuesdays at 9 - but EVERY single time we tune in to the
right channel at the right time, it's been preempted by something
else!! :

Old August 5th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Well, I won't be going back to EL, because we are dropping it. We were
only keeping it as a mail/news server, not as an ISP. Our ISP is Covad,
which, as I understand it, is the ISP that some other ISPs use????? But
it doesn't have a mail server service and now doesn't have a news server
service either. So we have switched to g-mail and now that I am using
Aioe we don't need to pay EL for the news server. (and we really don't
have the money for it anyway. sigh)

Sorry you weren't able to go with your DH on the trip. that would have
been a great vacation. But I understand about the not able to go at the
moment. G Hope you are getting better.

Thanks again.

Pati, in Phx
http://community.webshots.com/user/PatiCooks

Connie wrote:
In article , Pati C. wrote:

Thank you so much.

De nada, my friend!

I am now using Aioe. G Will see how things shape up.

Aioe should be good - I've never heard a bad word about it - other than
the inability to use the Binary groups. But then, I don't think most
people are really concerned about the binary groups!
EL's upgrade has really messed with my use of it. Was not remembering
read messages, and asking for username/password at irregular intervals,
sometimes minutes apart. sigh.

Knology (my ISP) did that for a while ... we had "upgrades" going on at
the time, too. I don't think it's forever - once the upgrades are
finished they work out all the kinks, you'll be back to using EL!

Knology still goes out occasionally, but not nearly as often as it DID!
Hope this works well.

And I agree about your DH being lucky to be going to England/Scotland. I
have often wished I could manage a trip there and to Ireland. sigh.

I almost went with him - the opportunity was presented, but I just
couldn't get away right now - mild health problems that keep me from
traveling. :/
(He travels ALL the time so we've got more than enough frequent flyer
miles! He's on travel about 60-75% of the year! )

You made good sense and the site was easy to use. G

Thank you, Patti!

Old August 5th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Pati C. wrote:

Well, I won't be going back to EL, because we are dropping it. We were
only keeping it as a mail/news server, not as an ISP. Our ISP is Covad,
which, as I understand it, is the ISP that some other ISPs use????? But
it doesn't have a mail server service and now doesn't have a news server
service either. So we have switched to g-mail and now that I am using
Aioe we don't need to pay EL for the news server. (and we really don't
have the money for it anyway. sigh)

Who does? I mean, why pay for something (wasting good, hard-earned
money) when you don't have to? And especially internet ... I mean,
access is expensive enough as it is - and you're talking about (as I
understand it) needing several services to do what ONE service usually
offers!

Believe me, I feel for you!!!

Sorry you weren't able to go with your DH on the trip. that would have
been a great vacation. But I understand about the not able to go at the
moment. G Hope you are getting better.

Aw, it's nothing, really. I've got DVT so I can't travel for extended
periods of time for about another 6 months - so obviously, I can't hop
on a plane for 12 hours! I was disappointed, but AFAIK, he'll be going
again in about a year (maybe next time I'll go with - hate to say this,
but everything would be paid for either by the gov (hotel room, his
meals) or our frequent flyer miles. Gotta have some compensation for
how often hubby travels, I figure. And thankfully, I don't eat much
(diet!).
And if he doesn't end up going or for some reason I can't go - I've
still got you guys to talk to! Trust me, that's just as good!
'Specially if I imagine all of ya'll with English accents! I LOVE those
accents!! goofy grin

Old August 5th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Pfft. I have several friends (not colleagues) who are PC people - to
the point WE'RE Mac people - and they refuse to see Macs as anything
other than either a status symbol (and nothing else) or a "kid's
machine."

Of course it's a "kid's machine" -- that why it's used to make
big-budget movies, music, graphic arts, etc. :S Not to mention all of us
"regular people" who use them because they work so well.

One of my friends went so far as to make a T-shirt with the picture of
the PC guy (from the Mac commercials) saying "PC, Grown-up and PROUD!"
*rolls eyes*
And yet, he STILL calls ME when he's got some horrible virus.

I don't mind when someone prefers a PC; my DT won't use anything else --
poor-benighted soul. But some people -- on both sides -- go too far.

About 5 years ago, I "converted" a friend of ours ... it was the tenth
time he'd called me over in a WEEK to help with a virus on his PC when
he finally asked "If Macs are so *&^% great, how do you know so much
about getting rid of viruses?!" I told him, "Cause I used to be PC. Now
that I have a Mac, I don't get viruses anymore."
He ordered a Mac the same night!

Smart man. G

Same here!! Only, for some reason, we haven't seen it in about 2
months. Every time we look for it on TV it isn't there!! Our TV guide
says it's on Tuesdays at 9 - but EVERY single time we tune in to the
right channel at the right time, it's been preempted by something
else!! :

I haven't seen it either, but I console myself with the fact that it
would probably just be reruns at this time of year, anyway. :S

Old August 5th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article
,
Sandy wrote:

In article ,
Connie wrote:

Pfft. I have several friends (not colleagues) who are PC people - to
the point WE'RE Mac people - and they refuse to see Macs as anything
other than either a status symbol (and nothing else) or a "kid's
machine."

Of course it's a "kid's machine" -- that why it's used to make
big-budget movies, music, graphic arts, etc. :S Not to mention all of us
"regular people" who use them because they work so well.

LOL! That's kind of what I thought!

One of my friends went so far as to make a T-shirt with the picture of
the PC guy (from the Mac commercials) saying "PC, Grown-up and PROUD!"
*rolls eyes*
And yet, he STILL calls ME when he's got some horrible virus.

I don't mind when someone prefers a PC; my DT won't use anything else --
poor-benighted soul. But some people -- on both sides -- go too far.

Yep ... I know Mac people who are so obnoxious about their babies that
they make mean, rude jokes about PC and PC people - I hope I didn't
imply that only PC-heads are jerks. :/

I worry about coming off as a elitist (for lack of a better term) when
it comes to Macs. Its just that I do have so many "better to de-virus a
PC than turn on a Mac" kind of people that I have become a bit
defensive about it. :/

Both systems have their points. Good AND bad. It's a matter of choice -
just like SMs!

About 5 years ago, I "converted" a friend of ours ... it was the tenth
time he'd called me over in a WEEK to help with a virus on his PC when
he finally asked "If Macs are so *&^% great, how do you know so much
about getting rid of viruses?!" I told him, "Cause I used to be PC. Now
that I have a Mac, I don't get viruses anymore."
He ordered a Mac the same night!

Smart man. G

I thought so! But it might have a tiny bit to do with the fact that
I was getting a bit tired of going over and de-virusing his machine
after each internet session (the little "secure" lock and site
certificates were completely unknown to him! He also opened EVERY
single piece of e-mail - and attachments!!) ... and he WAS the
obnoxious PC kind of person ... used to make fun of me all the time.
Said constantly that the only reason Macs didn't viruses was because
since there's only 25 users in the entire world, there wasn't a point
in writing a virus for the platform (totally untrue - it's the OS of
course - Unix is WAY harder to hack than the PC OS).

Same here!! Only, for some reason, we haven't seen it in about 2
months. Every time we look for it on TV it isn't there!! Our TV guide
says it's on Tuesdays at 9 - but EVERY single time we tune in to the
right channel at the right time, it's been preempted by something
else!! :

I haven't seen it either, but I console myself with the fact that it
would probably just be reruns at this time of year, anyway. :S

Aren't they supposed to be coming out with new episodes soon?? I heard
that they will in September ... but I could be wrong. I'm just glad it
hasn't gone the way of all good shows and been cancelled - you know,
there's no real-life celebrity trying to find "true love" or anyone
eating maggots on that show!! LOL!

Old August 5th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default PC Guy (was I'm an outcast -- was, I'm back!!!!)

"Connie" wrote in message
et...

One of my friends went so far as to make a T-shirt with the picture of
the PC guy (from the Mac commercials) saying "PC, Grown-up and PROUD!"
*rolls eyes*
And yet, he STILL calls ME when he's got some horrible virus.

Ironically, John Hodgman, who plays the PC, is a dyed-in-the-wool Mac user.
(Make sure you remind your friend of that next time he wears the shirt.)

I heard a piece John did once on the experience of walking into an Apple
store after the commercials started playing. He said it was like being a
rock star. (http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=329)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 6th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Connie[_2_]

In article , Kathy
Applebaum wrote:

"Connie" wrote in message
et...

One of my friends went so far as to make a T-shirt with the picture of
the PC guy (from the Mac commercials) saying "PC, Grown-up and PROUD!"
*rolls eyes*
And yet, he STILL calls ME when he's got some horrible virus.

Ironically, John Hodgman, who plays the PC, is a dyed-in-the-wool Mac user.
(Make sure you remind your friend of that next time he wears the shirt.)

LOL! I didn't know that! I knew he was a commentator or something ...
but not that he was a Mac-head!

I think I'll reserve that little tidbit for the next time he's bashing
my baby in a crowd (which will probably be tomorrow, LOL). I think the
more witnesses, the more fun it'll be! impishly evil grin

I heard a piece John did once on the experience of walking into an Apple
store after the commercials started playing. He said it was like being a
rock star. (http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=329)

Oh!! Too funny!! I will have to send this off to some of my buds!!

Thank you, Kathy!!!

--
Happy quilting & quilty hugs!!
Connie

I've started a FREE eZine ... and I've posted *LOTS* of free applique patterns!
Check it out!
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com/ ----- It's BACK!! AND they APOLOGIZED!
LOL!

We're Back!!! Eureka Stamps website is back! Sidny Rubberstamps 0 November 20th 05 09:02 PM
OT sorta : Back home and back online - long Heather Cross Quilting 3 May 11th 04 03:45 AM
I'm back Laura Yarn 7 October 7th 03 03:02 PM
back again! Polly Esther Quilting 3 September 8th 03 01:04 AM