Sashing/Cornerstone Q.

Old July 30th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Default A Happy Dance?? was: Sashing/Cornerstone Q.

Sherry, a hint for when you are putting the long straight sashing on
between rows: As you put your next row on, make sure to line up the
vertical sashing across the horizontal sashing. In other words, you
line up the block edges beyond where the sashing seam actually is. that
will help keep those vertical sashings in line. G

Easier to do/demonstrate than to explain.

Pati, in Phx

Sherry wrote:
On Jul 29, 3:56 pm, "Butterflywings"
wrote:

First off, most of us don't use very many pins, mainly at strategic points
and the end of seams, you'll learn what works BEST for YOU.
Secondly, don't expect perfection when you first begin...in other
words....learn how to enjoy the process. You will NOT get any points for
having 2, 5, or 100 quilts done in one year. You WILL get a happy dance
(even from those of us that don't say it) for EVERY quilt that is done--if
done means

What??!! I can get a happy dance??? Is there a statute of limitation
on this?

LOL. I finished a smallish quilt a couple of months ago. It was the
first one I
ever handquilted that I felt like I'd finally gotten the hang of it.
It was just
some scrappy Garden Walk blocks sewn together with sashing & a border.
Here's a pic! Also, please check out the one I'm working on now that I
got
so frustrated with the sashings. Soon as I put a border on it I'll be
finished with
the top.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01618540tXjVIo

Thanks! For all your help.
Sherry

Old July 30th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 29, 7:09 pm, Pati Cook wrote:
Sherry, a hint for when you are putting the long straight sashing on
between rows: As you put your next row on, make sure to line up the
vertical sashing across the horizontal sashing. In other words, you
line up the block edges beyond where the sashing seam actually is. that
will help keep those vertical sashings in line. G

Easier to do/demonstrate than to explain.

Pati, in Phx

Very good advise. I transfer the line created by the edge of the
vertical line of the upper block across the sashing to the edge that
will accept the next block with a long straight edge and chalk pencil
of contrasting color. This helps you place the edge of the block in
the proper place on the sashing. You should also be sewing all the
separating sashes between the blocks and then trimming the excess off
even with the upper and lower edge of the sewn onto blocks. Then you
can sew a complete line of completed blocks and vertical sashes, that
is the full width of the quilt, onto the horizontal sashes at the
appropriate marks you have made and have all your sashes line up
correctly.

John

Old July 30th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default A Happy Dance?? handquilting

Howdy!

Hand Quilting---mmmmmmm! ;-D

Very pretty, Sherry.

Ragmop/Sandy

On 7/29/07 5:53 PM, in article
, "Sherry"

Old July 30th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jul 29, 7:21 pm, Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Hand Quilting---mmmmmmm! ;-D

Very pretty, Sherry.

Ragmop/Sandy

Oh, thank you Sandy. It took me forever, but DH works nights and I'd
sit & listen to music, quilt,
and I actually enjoyed that part.
I'm so slow! DH said if I was a pioneer woman my family would have
already froze to death. :-)

Sherry

Old July 30th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Very pretty, Sherry!! Thanks for sharing.

--
Donna in NE La.
ups.com...

Old July 30th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

If I'm doing sashing and cornerstones, I incorporate it as part of my block
rather than waiting to sew the long strips in later. For instance, the top
left block will have the sashing and corner stones around three sides...not
the bottom. Then the next one to it will have the sashing and cornerstone
at the top and the sashing on the right hand side...and so on until the end
of the row. Then the next row will have the three sided sashed block to
start the row again. When you get to the bottom....you need to add the
sashing again across the bottom of the blocks. So the first block in the
row will be sashed on all sides and the subsequent ones on three sides. I
find it a lot easier to then sew the enhanced blocks together. Clear as
mud???

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
hlink.net...

Old July 30th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

What a nice quilt. Looks great. More than well worth a big happy
dance.
I really enjoyed looking around your yard. It is so pretty there.
What a wonderful place to live. All that green! I am most
jealous of your lilac. They grow here but mine are a long way from
what yours is doing.
Thanks for sharing.
TAria

Old July 30th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
Sherry wrote:

What??!! I can get a happy dance??? Is there a statute of limitation
on this?

Nope -- no statute of limitations at all! G

LOL. I finished a smallish quilt a couple of months ago. It was the
first one I
ever handquilted that I felt like I'd finally gotten the hang of it.
It was just
some scrappy Garden Walk blocks sewn together with sashing & a border.
Here's a pic! Also, please check out the one I'm working on now that I
got
so frustrated with the sashings. Soon as I put a border on it I'll be
finished with
the top.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01618540tXjVIo

Thanks! For all your help.
Sherry

That's a lovely quilt, Sherry! You should have shown us earlier so we
could have enjoyed it sooner! You hand quilting is beautiful!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old July 30th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Clear enough. Similar to the way I make an attic window,
skip the long sashes between all the blocks. And since I prefer to piece
the quilt top in sections (quarters or eighths), again, I avoid those
long-long seams, and don't have to worry about the sashing going a bit
wonky, ending up in a wave.
Since it's going to be well-quilted (by hand) the extra (short) seams are
incorporated into the quilting design.
Because I said so. ;-D

More than one way to bake a cake!

Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 30th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Jul 29, 8:54 pm, Taria wrote:
What a nice quilt. Looks great. More than well worth a big happy
dance.
I really enjoyed looking around your yard. It is so pretty there.
What a wonderful place to live. All that green! I am most
jealous of your lilac. They grow here but mine are a long way from
what yours is doing.
Thanks for sharing.
TAria

Thanks! It's very isolated here, thank God for the internet &
quilting ;-)
The lilac is more than 50 years old. It was here before we built the
house. The
old-fashioned kind must be just really hardy & long-lived.

Sherry

Sashing Bonnie Patterson Quilting 2 May 13th 06 04:47 PM
sashing question Terbear Quilting 7 April 28th 06 09:49 PM
Sashing Question TerriLee in WA Quilting 5 April 20th 06 10:23 PM
Sashing Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\) Quilting 2 October 15th 03 07:49 PM
How to cut a narrow sashing? Kirsten Bjorneboe Quilting 2 October 13th 03 08:25 AM